Sasha's movie | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha's movie

Lanie

On the Ice
I think (maybe this is me hoping) that Sasha's realized acting isn't all that and a bag of cookies so she's realizing how much skating is a part of her, how she misses it, etc. I do think she loves it, in her own way. Why else would she keep going after failure after failure to get the gold? In a way it's much worse than MK and IS. Sasha has no major title. And she keeps going.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
According to Blades, Sasha is reaching for celebrity status!!!

Nothing shocking or earth-shattering in that statement.

Sasha has no major title

I'd consider a National championship a major title. Unless you mean no major INTERNATIONAL title.

Lanie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I'd consider a National championship a major title. Unless you mean no major INTERNATIONAL title.

I mean international titles, like Michelle and Irina have. :) GPF doesn't really count.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Why no mention of Sonja, and Joe why did the signature go away? I liked it, it was really inspiration on a certain level. I am not sure, but she may have been the first to turn a athletic career into a Hollywood one. ?

Red Dog said:
Nothing shocking or earth-shattering in that statement.

RD - Are you saying hype is ok for Sasha but not for MK?

SeaniBu said:
Why no mention of Sonja, and Joe why did the signature go away? I liked it, it was really inspiration on a certain level. I am not sure, but she may have been the first to turn a athletic career into a Hollywood one. ?
There's a nice concise bio of Sonia in last issue of Blades. In fact there are quite a number of concise bios of many female skaters including Jaqueline du Bief who invented the Illusion (that's the spin that looks like a windmill).

Sonia will always be special to figure skating but one has to acknowledge that it was Madge Syers who got the Ladies recognized as skaters in world competitions.

The Blade's issue is a good issue for the history of the legends.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - Are you saying hype is ok for Sasha but not for MK?

Where in my statement could I possibly have said that? Anyway since you brought it up: I think a little (keyword here: LITTLE) bit of hype to generate interest is OK. But it's when it goes overboard (and it becomes a marketing ploy) that I get sick of it. Maybe a day before the competition or the day of the competition it's fine, but when it starts weeks or months in advance that's when I have a problem with it. Doesn't matter who the person is.

Red Dog said:
Where in my statement could I possibly have said that? Anyway since you brought it up: I think a little (keyword here: LITTLE) bit of hype to generate interest is OK. But it's when it goes overboard (and it becomes a marketing ploy) that I get sick of it. Maybe a day before the competition or the day of the competition it's fine, but when it starts weeks or months in advance that's when I have a problem with it. Doesn't matter who the person is.
You can't forget that for the past 3 years you did nothing but scream HYPE at MK and mostly based on what you read on the Boards, not from any real publicity.

Suddenly it doesn't matter who the person is. Yeah.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know better than I do that I was referring to the pressure that she would face come these Olympics. Not related to hype at all, unless something suddenly changed. Some fans really need to just leave the past in the past.

Red Dog said:
You know better than I do that I was referring to the pressure that she would face come these Olympics. Not related to hype at all, unless something suddenly changed. Some fans really need to just leave the past in the past.
And let's not hear about a lot of baloney pressure and hype in the future. All skaters get hyped; all skaters have nerves when competing. End it all now and discuss the actual skating.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Mathman said:
Here's Michelle in a guest appearance on a popular prime time TV show:

http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/h/0/-/-/michelle_kwan.jpg

And here she is on another show (Sabrina the Teenange Witch)!

http://dianesrink.com/mkga/gallery/mkstw2.jpg

She gets mentioned several times on Will and Grace, Friends and other sitcoms. I wonder if any other current skater has. I would imagine some of the other icons have been (Peggy, Dorothy), but times have changed and many have no clue who skates.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I also recall her doing a cameo on Beverly Hills 90210. I couldn't find any stills from that, but I did manage to find THIS picture of her from 1998.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Michelle was on 90210??? I didn't know that! Wonder how I missed it...not a fan of the show, but...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'll admit that I was a fan ( not too much of a surprise I am sure ) for the first 4 years or more - drove by there "house" (acutely in Altadena) to pick up one of the kids I was a "Charles in Charge for....anyhoo,

I think I remember that, but It may be part of that "Hollywood fog" I was living in.:cool: or it happened after I stopped watching.

antmanb

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
I also recall her doing a cameo on Beverly Hills 90210. I couldn't find any stills from that, but I did manage to find THIS picture of her from 1998.

What??? Didn't that show finish in the very early 90s? Why would Kwan wouldn't have been on the radar to be on a show like that until at least 1995 and more likely not until her first world champinship victory in 1996.

Ant