Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84

Thread: Sasha's movie

  1. #61
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    According to Blades, Sasha is reaching for celebrity status!!!

  2. #62
    Skater Girl
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    490
    I think (maybe this is me hoping) that Sasha's realized acting isn't all that and a bag of cookies so she's realizing how much skating is a part of her, how she misses it, etc. I do think she loves it, in her own way. Why else would she keep going after failure after failure to get the gold? In a way it's much worse than MK and IS. Sasha has no major title. And she keeps going.

  3. #63
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    According to Blades, Sasha is reaching for celebrity status!!!
    Nothing shocking or earth-shattering in that statement.

    Sasha has no major title
    I'd consider a National championship a major title. Unless you mean no major INTERNATIONAL title.

  4. #64
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,004
    Speaking of skaters who went onto become famous movie stars, we can't overlook Carol Heiss. Here she is in the title role of "Snow White and the Three Stooges"

    http://www.scifilm.org/museimages2/snowstoogepics.jpg

  5. #65
    Skater Girl
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I'd consider a National championship a major title. Unless you mean no major INTERNATIONAL title.
    I mean international titles, like Michelle and Irina have. GPF doesn't really count.

  6. #66
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Why no mention of Sonja, and Joe why did the signature go away? I liked it, it was really inspiration on a certain level. I am not sure, but she may have been the first to turn a athletic career into a Hollywood one. ?

  7. #67
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Nothing shocking or earth-shattering in that statement.



    I'd consider a National championship a major title. Unless you mean no major INTERNATIONAL title.
    RD - Are you saying hype is ok for Sasha but not for MK?

  8. #68
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    Why no mention of Sonja, and Joe why did the signature go away? I liked it, it was really inspiration on a certain level. I am not sure, but she may have been the first to turn a athletic career into a Hollywood one. ?
    There's a nice concise bio of Sonia in last issue of Blades. In fact there are quite a number of concise bios of many female skaters including Jaqueline du Bief who invented the Illusion (that's the spin that looks like a windmill).

    Sonia will always be special to figure skating but one has to acknowledge that it was Madge Syers who got the Ladies recognized as skaters in world competitions.

    The Blade's issue is a good issue for the history of the legends.

    Joe

  9. #69
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    RD - Are you saying hype is ok for Sasha but not for MK?
    Where in my statement could I possibly have said that? Anyway since you brought it up: I think a little (keyword here: LITTLE) bit of hype to generate interest is OK. But it's when it goes overboard (and it becomes a marketing ploy) that I get sick of it. Maybe a day before the competition or the day of the competition it's fine, but when it starts weeks or months in advance that's when I have a problem with it. Doesn't matter who the person is.

  10. #70
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Where in my statement could I possibly have said that? Anyway since you brought it up: I think a little (keyword here: LITTLE) bit of hype to generate interest is OK. But it's when it goes overboard (and it becomes a marketing ploy) that I get sick of it. Maybe a day before the competition or the day of the competition it's fine, but when it starts weeks or months in advance that's when I have a problem with it. Doesn't matter who the person is.
    You can't forget that for the past 3 years you did nothing but scream HYPE at MK and mostly based on what you read on the Boards, not from any real publicity.

    Suddenly it doesn't matter who the person is. Yeah.

  11. #71
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    You know better than I do that I was referring to the pressure that she would face come these Olympics. Not related to hype at all, unless something suddenly changed. Some fans really need to just leave the past in the past.

  12. #72
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,004
    Here's Michelle in a guest appearance on a popular prime time TV show:

    http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/...helle_kwan.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-20-2006 at 04:05 PM.

  13. #73
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    You know better than I do that I was referring to the pressure that she would face come these Olympics. Not related to hype at all, unless something suddenly changed. Some fans really need to just leave the past in the past.
    And let's not hear about a lot of baloney pressure and hype in the future. All skaters get hyped; all skaters have nerves when competing. End it all now and discuss the actual skating.

    Joe

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Here's Michelle in a guest appearance on a popular prime time TV show:

    http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/...helle_kwan.jpg
    And here she is on another show (Sabrina the Teenange Witch)!

    http://dianesrink.com/mkga/gallery/mkstw2.jpg

    She gets mentioned several times on Will and Grace, Friends and other sitcoms. I wonder if any other current skater has. I would imagine some of the other icons have been (Peggy, Dorothy), but times have changed and many have no clue who skates.

  15. #75
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Here's Michelle in a guest appearance on a popular prime time TV show:

    http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/...helle_kwan.jpg


    http://www.hwbhost.com/images/simphomer_kwan_2_72.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •