Thread: What's with Campbells and Marshalls?

What's with Campbells and Marshalls?

The USFS does not list either one in their events section.

The ISU lists Campbells for 16 October but no venue.

The ISU does NOT list Marshalls in December but does list one on 14 April (post Worlds) but no venue.

Is Michelle Kwan to blame for this? our favorite cheesefests!

Joe

Custom Title
    According to posters at many online skating forums Michelle Kwan is to blame for everything - so yes I would assume so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy
    According to posters at many online skating forums Michelle Kwan is to blame for everything - so yes I would assume so.

Actually, she might be. Maybe they are waiting to see if there is any way they can work Michelle into the show -- maybe she can drive the Zamboni -- before they line up the sponsors.

BTW, if you go to the Skate America web site you will see which skater they are using to advertise that competition -- Sasha Cohen. (If only she were going to be there.)

http://www.2006skateamerica.org/content.cfm?page=home

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-16-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Obviously Kimmie is not enough to get the kids drinking soups.

While I never thought these competitions were important, I did like them as a dress rehearsal for the Nats. Sasha's Swan Lake was overwhelming for me, and I hate that music for skating.

Joe

Down With It
    That's the problem right there. Folks don't take these competitions seriously. How can one expect them to last if no one cares about them? I think it's only a matter of time before they disappear altogether.

With the kind of money they can offer to the skaters (as much as for the World Championships), I don't see why they can't start a new cycle of "International Invitationals" (not cheesefests, LOL), bring in the new top guns (Kimmie, Mao, Yu-na) to replace the old (Michelle, Irina), and promote the heck out of it.

The Japan Open was like that (with a couple of over-the-hill "pros" thrown in -- Yagudin and Honda, who shared last place), and was very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    With the kind of money they can offer to the skaters (as much as for the World Championships), I don't see why they can't start a new cycle of "International Invitationals" (not cheesefests, LOL), bring in the new top guns (Kimmie, Mao, Yu-na) to replace the old (Michelle, Irina), and promote the heck out of it.

The Japan Open was like that (with a couple of over-the-hill "pros" thrown in -- Yagudin and Honda, who shared last place), and was very successful.
    If they keep the same format, then it will be just 6 Ladies and 6 Gentlemen. If it's an open invitational then I would not let the US Ladies or Men dominate the event. eight Ladies and eight Gentlemen would work if we cut out the uncompetitive dance and pairs.

Joe

I should be studying!
    I wonder if it's about the money. I noticed in Heather's TV schedule that ESPN is slated to show the national championships, and not ABC. I guess the negotiation of the TV contract did not go well for USFSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    I wonder if it's about the money. I noticed in Heather's TV schedule that ESPN is slated to show the national championships, and not ABC. I guess the negotiation of the TV contract did not go well for USFSA.
    A sobering piece of information. I had thought that the old contract ran through the 2007 championships.

Maybe this is not necessarily a disaster, though. All sports programming seems to be getting shuffled off to the sports networks -- even Monday night football. More time for "reality" shows on prime time, I suppose.

The Networks are working in a business. The more viewers the more money they can demand for sponsor time. Figure Skating does not have a huge following. Praise to be we have ESPN.

Joe

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    This is because the ABC schedule hasn't been finalized yet. From what I understand, ABC SHOULD show the 2007 National championships. But beyond that, who knows? I think it's very likely that it will go to ESPN (or some other cable network). I don't think another broadcast network would want to pick it up.

Also interesting is that the Nats in 2007 are being held two weeks later than usual, so it coincides with the off-week in the NFL (the week between the conference champs and the Super bowl). Therefore it will no longer have to compete with football.

I don't mind ESPN if only they'd get rid of that darn ticker at the bottom of the screen really messes up your recordings. ESPN is the only reason I keep the expanded basic cable so I can watch the skating.