Champions (?) on Ice Dallas | Golden Skate

Champions (?) on Ice Dallas

Penny

On the Ice
Does anyone remember when this show was actually about champions? It included only Olympic skaters and most performed their Olympic routines (I remember Kulik in his yellow shirt, doing all his jumps except the quad). Now we have acrobats, hula hoops, and skaters who were never champion of anything.

At Dallas, in my opinion, Johnny Weir stole the show. Plushenko did not do triple axel (and why should he, no one in the audience seemed to know or care). Michelle did a beautiful Charlotte, straighter and higher than Sasha's. Kimmie didn't do this show. Has she been doing her triples in other shows? Lycacek did some nice jumps but he needs better choreography. Would like to have seen another pair (were Inoue and Baldwin not invited?)

For all my complaining, I must say Petrenko was great to watch.

R

riverflows

You were there too? :)

Well, the acrobats and hula-hoop girl are all from the pro circuit, so they -are- champions in a sense (although that might be stretching the word). The only person who doesn't have 'champion' on their program page is probably Evan Lysacek, but even he was won the 4CC.

Johnny Weir was probably the only performer who landed 3 triples with no problem (though he did pop a jump in his intro). It looked to me as if Plushenko was doing double-jumps and some of the girls fell on theirs.

Inoue & Baldwin were at the White House because Pres. Bush invited them to dinner with the Japanese ambassador, or whoever it was. Usually, they're part of the show.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
riverflows said:
Inoue & Baldwin were at the White House because Pres. Bush invited them to dinner with the Japanese ambassador, or whoever it was. Usually, they're part of the show.

Inoue & Baldwin are not usually part of the show. They skated a few select shows but are not part of the regular cast.

Spirit

On the Ice
I was at COI Dallas and enjoyed it immensely. I like the hula hoop woman and the acrobats, as well as Dan Hollander. I don't care who's a champion of what; I pay to see people do funny and interesting things on the ice, and that's what they did.

They skipped Dallas last year. They came back this year, and I hope they keep coming back.

bluecatskater

Rinkside
You guys just be glad you got to see it. I had tickets in my hand for the show here in Little Rock for early June. About 2 months before then they canceled. I did get my money refunded and the reason given as low ticket sales, or travel arrangements. They hadn't even advertised the show to the public yet, so I don't see how it could have been low ticket sales.
Very disappointed because it's the first year since 1996 that I haven't been able to see either SOI or COI. Oh well such is life...........

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
bluecatskater said:
They hadn't even advertised the show to the public yet, so I don't see how it could have been low ticket sales.
Very disappointed because it's the first year since 1996 that I haven't been able to see either SOI or COI. Oh well such is life...........
I agree with you Bluecatskater. COI & SOI have very poor advertising. COI was lucky they got 1/2 the Omaha arena filled with their efforts in advertising.

Dee

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Spirit said:
I'm not sure what's up with that.

Chances are, no matter how much they advertise they're not going to sell tickets. The interest isn't there. So why blow what little money they make. Court the faithful. Count the money they bring in. Call it a day.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Pixie Cut said:
Chances are, no matter how much they advertise they're not going to sell tickets. The interest isn't there. So why blow what little money they make. Court the faithful. Count the money they bring in. Call it a day.

Really though, how much can it possibly cost to do a little research to find out which radio station(s) in the area cater to their target audience, offer a few tickets as prizes or something, and get that radio station to do a promo or two? I don't know anything about advertizing rates in Houston, Omaha, etc, but you'd think the return would be greater than the output. Even if they did this with only one or two stations in a given area, a couple of times over the course of the whole tour.

Any of that make sense?

ParkersAngel

Spectator
Spirit said:
Totally agree. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Not everyone can afford the tickets either. Between ticket prices and then spending the gas money to get there and back it might not be worth it to some. I would have loved to go but I couldn't afford it.