Pacific Coast Sectional TBD Nov. 14-17, 2007 TBD

2008 Synchronized Sectional Championships

EVENT HOST CITY DATES HOST SKATING CLUB
Eastern Synchronized Sectional Richmond, Va. January 2008 Richmond FSC
Midwestern Synchronized Sectional Nashville, Tenn. January 2008 Nashville FSC
Pacific Coast Synchronized Sectional TBD January 2008 TBD

2007-08 U.S. Championships

EVENT HOST CITY DATES HOST SKATING CLUB
U.S. Junior Figure Skating Championships Salt Lake City, Utah Nov. 26-Dec. 1, 2007 Salt Lake FSC
U.S. Figure Skating Championships St. Paul, Minn. Jan. 20-27, 2008 Twin City FSA
U.S. Synchronized Team Skating Championships TBD February 2008 TBD

None are in "my neck of the woods", so to speak, but three are within driving distance of family. :biggrin: So even if I can't make Nats, I still have options to see some competitive skating that year.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Question about Sectionals

I am thinking about attending Midwestern Sectionals in Michigan 11/14 - 17/07. Problem is I've never attended Sectionals and have no idea how the competition is set up. Are the novice events the first day and then junior and senior events the rest of the days? Are practices open to the public? Do they charge by the day or can you buy advance tickets?

Since I am going to Spokane and then hopefully to St. Paul in January 2008, I'm trying to decide how much vacation time I would need for Sectionals and how much it would cost (tickets and of course hotel/gasoline to drive).

I'd appreciate any info.
Maureen

Sylvia

Record Breaker
MFarone said:
I am thinking about attending Midwestern Sectionals in Michigan 11/14 - 17/07. Problem is I've never attended Sectionals and have no idea how the competition is set up. Are the novice events the first day and then junior and senior events the rest of the days? Are practices open to the public? Do they charge by the day or can you buy advance tickets?
Usually, the Novice events are scheduled for Thursday/Friday and Junior and Senior events Friday/Saturday. Practices are open to the public (if the competition rink only has one surface, then practice ice may be located elsewhere).

The host club sets the admission costs (ice rental fees vary across the country and may affect ticket pricing), and unless the arena has a limited seating capacity, there should not be a problem buying tickets daily at the door (tickets are sometimes sold in advance as well). Tickets for Easterns last year were the cheapest of the 3 Sectionals at $10/day for adults at the door or $20 all-event (for 3 days); Pacific Coasts were $15/day and Midwesterns were $20/day for Thursday and $25/day for Friday/Saturday at the door.

My experience has been that you have to be fairly active yourself to find out anything about these club-hosted events. They never give out any information to the public, like its an insider secret or something.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
My experience has been that you have to be fairly active yourself to find out anything about these club-hosted events. They never give out any information to the public, like its an insider secret or something.
I think this is short-sighted. Imagine if they actually had information on the websites and advertised locally. $10 is a lot cheaper than $70-$150 for a SOI or COI ticket, and kids can see kids not much older than themselves compete. They might even create some interest from the local spectators and increase the number of people in the developmental skating programs. How many adults know they can learn to skate among adults and not fall on their butts among a group of beginning six-year-olds?

same thing with the Ice Theatre of New York. I'm on subscription so I get e-mails of events.

Their tickets are not expensive except when fund raising with guest stars. I think it would make a nice date for teenagers to go out to one of these comps and enjoy the evening together. Beats a movie.

Joe

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Qualifying events

Thanks so much for the info. I'm definitely going to try and fit this into my budget and work schedule.

Maureen