(MP4) Need your feedback | Page 3 | Golden Skate

(MP4) Need your feedback

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do appreciate the (honest) feedback. It allows me to put out a better service. I seem to be one of the few that continue to have problems with sites like YSI and SendMeFile, so I have to resort to other hosting sites that don't give me any problems. And now Youtube is not working for me for some reason...grr..

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry RD, I can't open it. I know when I was viewing last night at home, I could open and it gave me the option to save or open. There isn't any options this morning at work, you can only save. What did you do different from last night??

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
If you're on a different computer it must be network settings or something. I didn't do anything different...it's the same .mp4 H264 file. Your work computer likely does not have the H264 codec needed to play the file, I suppose.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup, I'm on a network and that's probably the reason. Our IT manager at work is Hitler's granson I think. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RD, you and Sean got into some pretty technical stuff that kind of went right over the top of my head. Now, I am asking for feedback from you guys.

What did you think of the videos I posted?? Not subject matter but quality, downloading time?? Anything else you can think of.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I downloaded your SC SP video from 04 Nationals (and thanks, because I don't have any footage from 04 nationals...I didn't tape it). It was very smooth, I'd say average quality for the size. When YSI does work for me it's very fast so the 22mb file downloaded within about 90 sec I'd say. But after years of being on a dial-up connection I naturally feel sorry for those people. It was tough having people post these huge files and having to sit for several minutes or hours to download them.

That's about the best you'll get with WMV, though. That's why I looked to another codec to start sharing...I mean, the files are good but I wanted to go for a smaller filesize. I think I finally achieved that with these .mp4 files (and my trusty program, hehe. Just hope it continues to function.)

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RD, I am taking what you said as the video I did was OK in downloading and quality. I understand what you mean by the OK quality. Yes, If I made it perfect, the file would be huge. What I did was stream it in medium quality. I can go to small, and I think I did it once just to test and the pic frame was about 2 1/2 X 2 1/2. I can't remember if I increased the size to 200% to see what it looked like. I need to try that again.

I have some free web space on my email program which is only about 10 MB's but if I make a video under 3/12 minutes I am able to upload there and people don't have to download.

I'm sending you a PM about another issue.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah, I think you should do that. With the .mp4 file and using 15FPS I can run up to 6 minutes without going over 10MB. And that's just wonderful.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dee, the vids you did of Sasha were nice (I think they are from VHS tape to comp?) much cleaner than the Sonja's bio you did last week.

RD the last one of the ceremony is just fine at 15fps as you expected. I like how FFactory has the different options for download.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SeaniBu said:
Dee, the vids you did of Sasha were nice (I think they are from VHS tape to comp?) much cleaner than the Sonja's bio you did last week.

Sean, the Sonja video was taped off of a PBS special. The footage was old and that's why it looked old. My Sasha videos were taped VHS then dubbed to DVD, then formated to mpg, then uploaded to a movie maker program.

SeaniBu said:
I like how FFactory has the different options for download.
I didn't know which to choose so I chose the http one. What was or is the difference???

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I didn't know which to choose so I chose the http one. What was or is the difference???

Dee

File Transfer Protocol can be a "safer" load, particularly when working with servers. I don't have a need for it - well I might if I didn't trust the source, but I most likely wouldn't bother with downloading something like that anyway.

P2P (peer to peer), works well with realtime and can adjust for bandwidth, I have never used it but I sounds like it might be good for Dial-up.

I have always used Hyper Trans Pro, just 'cause it has always stable for me and it makes me envision little ones and zeroes floating though the wires:laugh: . Really it is just habit now that it is stable with the W3 improvements, and doesn't omit any features - which in this case were not an issue.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Interesting factor, I went to compress the 1.09gb file and It said 175 minutes. EEsh.... well see what it actually takes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
how long is the original video? (in other words, how did it end up taking 3 hours?)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
how long is the original video? (in other words, how did it end up taking 3 hours?)

Oh, just under 6 minutes for video length, and just under 3 for compression.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
More interesting info - the compression H264 took 5.5 hours to compress to 640x38 but the file size came to be 15.1mb. very good news to get twice the size of video res. just took a long time. This file is under my signature.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I also uploaded it to FileFactory and after the 10 minutes they require before it is available I will also post it. I took a couple more minutes to upload to FF.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm. The program I use does not allow for a screen res higher than about 360x240 (what I've been using to post the above videos). However I do have the MainConcept H.264 engine which allows me to achieve quality much much closer to the original. However, it is an .mpg H264 file instead of .mp4 (and no, I don't believe changing the extension will work) so one needs the MC engine and not the QT engine. But here's the catch: I can't find any free software that has the MC engine...it's all shareware ( meaning you can try the product out for a limited time with limited features and then after the time expires they make you pay to continue using it). But for posting videos these mp4's are more than good enough, IMO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
hmm. The program I use does not allow for a screen res higher than about 360x240 (what I've been using to post the above videos). However I do have the MainConcept H.264 engine which allows me to achieve quality much much closer to the original. However, it is an .mpg H264 file instead of .mp4 (and no, I don't believe changing the extension will work) so one needs the MC engine and not the QT engine. But here's the catch: I can't find any free software that has the MC engine...it's all shareware ( meaning you can try the product out for a limited time with limited features and then after the time expires they make you pay to continue using it). But for posting videos these mp4's are more than good enough, IMO.

? That is interesting about the size limits. And silly me said 320..oops. 360 as well.
That size is plenty good. I was so surprised at the file size when the screen size was double. ? I really thought it would be closer to 25mb at least.

Did the FileFactory vid work for you? How was the quality? And does YSI just not work at all for you?

BTW. cool vid page, never heard of them. Mind if I follow suit?

Last edited: