Most Annoying Songs | Golden Skate

Most Annoying Songs

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is inspired by the fact that someplace I went today was playing that stupid song (I think it's from the early to mid 60s) about the guy driving around with this girl making out with this guy named Fred in the back seat. ("Keep your mind on your driving, keep your hands on the wheel, keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead; we're having fun, sitting in the backseat, kissing and a-hugging with Fred.") Not only is this an ANNOYING song, but why doesn't he pull over and dump those people off on the side of the road????

So this got me thinking of overall annoying songs in general, and I'd love to know y'all's personal lists. Mine would include:

"Emotion", Mariah Carey
Just because you have this incredible vocal range does not give you license to stand in the studio and beller your damn fool head off trying to shatter every glass in the county. WAY too much shrieking going on here....

"I've Been To Paradise But I've Never Been To Me", Charlene
Absolute claptrap. And how is talking about what an absolute tramp you've been over the years supposed to help out this "discontented mother and regimented wife"? Seems to me it'd make her feel worse, but if she's listening to this song at all she's probably got a bottle of something in her hand and it ain't Pepsi.

"Undercover Angel", Alan O'Day.
Great moments in pop song dialogue. Let's just run a transcript of the actual conversation that apparently goes on here, shall we?
"What?"
"Woo hoo oo ee"
"All right!"
"Love me, love me, love me!!"
Real scintillating dialouge there. Now we know where the writers of the first few seasons of "West Wing" got their inspiration.....:sheesh:

"Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)", Looking Glass
:eek: I think this one is on "the list" of everyone who's ever heard it. (Those reading this who are too young to have heard it, count your blessings.) I think it's the "doot dooo dooo dooo doo" routine that just puts it over the edge.

"Tubthumping", Chumbawumba
If he keeps getting up again after getting knocked out, obviously we need bigger mallets.

"Lovefool", The Cardigans
I can't hear this song without imagining it as a Muppet Show number sung by Miss Piggy. ("Love me, love me, say that you love me" to an oblivious Kermit). Which is about the only form it should have ever taken.

I'm sure I'll think of more before it's over.....

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Although I disagree with the last one, and am surprised you wouldn't say "Favorite game," ( I can see allot of people being annoyed by that tune even though I like it - that is fine and think you are most likely correct about it being annoying but I just like the Cardigans.

Anyway BOT, the most annoying song I first thought of was "True" by Spandau Ballet. That song drives me up the wall. After the big party with DEE and RD I just can't think of any more:rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"Muskrat Love" by the Captain and Tenille.....'nuff said there

"Halfbreed"........Cher poor taste then, poor taste now, but then we're talking about Cher so poor taste all around

"Having My Baby"........Paul Anka all can say is why?????

"Forever In Bluejeans"....Neil Diamond this one beats out....
"I'm Not a Hippy Just a New York Boy"........also Neil Damond

"You Light Up My Life" aka "The Needy Woman's Anthem"........the title song from one of the lamest movies ever. Someone did the singing for Didi Conn's character in the film. Debbie Boone released it as a single. Anya tells me that DB was singing to God to her version is exempt.

"Ben".....Micheal Jackson all I can say here is maybe while he was playing wth rats he was leaving 10 year olds alone

"In the Year 2525"......Zager and Evans this song scared me to death as a kid

"Chewy Chewy".....the 1910 Fruitgum Company

"Bette Davis Eyes"........Kim Carnes

so many bad songs so little time

Good thread JonnyCoop:agree:

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:laugh: This is a fun thread.

Although I love MOST of his music -

Blue Jean, Lets Dance (even tho Stevie RayVaun was great) and Panic in Detroit - David Bowie.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Top honors for worst song - "You're Having My Baby" - Paul Anka - I don't mind his other songs at all, but I can't stand this one! :disapp: :scratch:

"You Light Up My LIfe" - Debby Boone

"Billy, Don't Be a Hero" - ?

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"

I change the radio station whenever I hear any of these. :mad: :banging:

John King

Final Flight
Several years ago,I sent my younger brother a custome-made t-shirt that read "Worst Case Scenario",and it had a picture of Barney the Dinosaur singing "Achy-Breaky Heart".Everyone got a laugh out of that.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
iluvtodd said:
Top honors for worst song - "You're Having My Baby" - Paul Anka - I don't mind his other songs at all, but I can't stand this one! :disapp: :scratch:

"Billy, Don't Be a Hero" was done by those minions of evil, Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. Your other selections are also on my list of least favorites, but I have to add the dreadful "Chevy Van", which also came out in the 70s, but I've blocked out the year and the "artist". It's a little ditty about a man with a Chevy Van who finds a girl and "we made love in my Chevy van, and that's all right with me". Yup, someone got paid to write that lyric.
As for "Grandma...", you might enjoy a parody that I did last year: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/elmoandpatsy2.shtml.
Has anyone read "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs"? I recommend it highly.
xoxo
Rave

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
iluvtodd said:

There's actually radio stations that still play these? You need to move!! :laugh:

Actually, I'd never actually heard "Grandma/Reindeer" (tho I'd heard OF it) until the other night, when I rented "Jarhead"; there's a scene where the camp almost goes up in flames because the patrol guy isn't paying attention because he's too involved with listening to that song on his headphones.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
There's actually radio stations that still play these? You need to move!! :laugh:

Actually, I'd never actually heard "Grandma/Reindeer" (tho I'd heard OF it) until the other night, when I rented "Jarhead"; there's a scene where the camp almost goes up in flames because the patrol guy isn't paying attention because he's too involved with listening to that song on his headphones.

Ravyn Rant, that parody is a hoot! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JonnyCoop, thankfully I haven't heard any of those songs on the radio for a long time. Is it any coincidence that a lot of them are from the 1970's? I did like the 1970's for a number of the singer/songwriters whom I still admire today, but there were quite a number of dreadful tunes that came during that decade as well. Of course, every holiday season, you're bound to catch "Grandma/Reindeer" somewhere on the radio. :frown2:

antmanb

Record Breaker
:rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

Johnnycoop i 've laughed and laughed some more at all of your suggestions and must only disagre with the cardigans track which i do like a lot. And the chumbawumba track i also can't compalin about too much...as far as football songs go (as it was adopted over here in the UK) it is one of the least offensive and more tuneful efforts!

I would only add (and anyone outside the UK/Europe may be mercifully ignorant of the track i'm talking about...scratch that tracks) anything by the Cheeky Girls (the cheeky song, the cheeky samba and a whole other cartload of "cheeky" songs...there isn't a vomiting emoticon is there?).

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
The classicly stupid one that i think i've heard in a lot of stand up routines is also Alanis Morisette's Ironic...someone needs to give her a dictionary or (as the stand up comedians tend to point out) is the real genius of the song that none of the examples she gives are ironic...and therein lies the real irony?! :rofl:

Ant

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
"500 miles" by those scottish twins

"You're Beautiful" James Blunt (I liked it at first, now it's just an earworm)

"Bad Day" I can't remember his name

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well Debbie Boone may well have BUT it was the title song from one of the lamest movies ever. And in the movie it wasn't being sung to God,......or by DB. Can't remember who did the singing for Didi Conn's character in the movie.

Thanks for the headsup on DB's version...which actually won the "Kiss of Death Grammy"...best new artist, LOL.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the songs that makes me just cringe is "Let their be peace on Earth", now I must say it's not the lyrics, well yes it is, but the melody that just drives me up the wall. At various times at church they will sing this song during the recessional and as always I leave. It makes me want to chew broken glass.

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
:rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

Johnnycoop i 've laughed and laughed some more at all of your suggestions and must only disagre with the cardigans track which i do like a lot. And the chumbawumba track i also can't compalin about too much...as far as football songs go (as it was adopted over here in the UK) it is one of the least offensive and more tuneful efforts!

I would only add (and anyone outside the UK/Europe may be mercifully ignorant of the track i'm talking about...scratch that tracks) anything by the Cheeky Girls (the cheeky song, the cheeky samba and a whole other cartload of "cheeky" songs...there isn't a vomiting emoticon is there?).

Ant

Hopefully those of us on this side of the pond will REMAIN mercifully ignorant; this sounds absolutely diabolical.

In regards to the Chumbawumba and Cardigans tracks: These would not have been bad had they not been PLAYED TO DEATH AND DRAGGED OUT AND PLAYED AGAIN EVERY 20 MINUTES UNTIL A HOLE WAS BORED INTO THE CD BY THE LASER. Sometimes what makes a song annoying, to me, is that it's something that I barely like to begin with, but then long about the oh, I don't know, 978th time THAT WEEK you've heard it, it is time to call for a Federal Communications Commission ban to avoid a potential gun spree...... :mad: :mad:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Who can forget the "Safety Dance" - Men without hats. OMG....I don't even no How to explain the cringe factor in that song.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

I love Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life
and also Let There Be Peace On Earth
There's lots of songs and singers I don't like and maybe some day I'll remember them. :rofl: :rofl:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Grgranny said:
Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

I love Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life
and also Let There Be Peace On Earth
There's lots of songs and singers I don't like and maybe some day I'll remember them. :rofl: :rofl:
LOL Grgranny! :)