Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most Annoying Songs

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    One of the songs that makes me just cringe is "Let their be peace on Earth", now I must say it's not the lyrics, well yes it is, but the melody that just drives me up the wall. At various times at church they will sing this song during the recessional and as always I leave. It makes me want to chew broken glass.

Dee

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb

Johnnycoop i 've laughed and laughed some more at all of your suggestions and must only disagre with the cardigans track which i do like a lot. And the chumbawumba track i also can't compalin about too much...as far as football songs go (as it was adopted over here in the UK) it is one of the least offensive and more tuneful efforts!

I would only add (and anyone outside the UK/Europe may be mercifully ignorant of the track i'm talking about...scratch that tracks) anything by the Cheeky Girls (the cheeky song, the cheeky samba and a whole other cartload of "cheeky" songs...there isn't a vomiting emoticon is there?).

Ant
    Hopefully those of us on this side of the pond will REMAIN mercifully ignorant; this sounds absolutely diabolical.

In regards to the Chumbawumba and Cardigans tracks: These would not have been bad had they not been PLAYED TO DEATH AND DRAGGED OUT AND PLAYED AGAIN EVERY 20 MINUTES UNTIL A HOLE WAS BORED INTO THE CD BY THE LASER. Sometimes what makes a song annoying, to me, is that it's something that I barely like to begin with, but then long about the oh, I don't know, 978th time THAT WEEK you've heard it, it is time to call for a Federal Communications Commission ban to avoid a potential gun spree......

Who can forget the "Safety Dance" - Men without hats. OMG....I don't even no How to explain the cringe factor in that song.

Takes all kinds, doesn't it?

I love Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life
    and also Let There Be Peace On Earth
    There's lots of songs and singers I don't like and maybe some day I'll remember them.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny

I love Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life
    and also Let There Be Peace On Earth
    There's lots of songs and singers I don't like and maybe some day I'll remember them.
    LOL Grgranny!

GrGranny, what did you think of the Carpenters? They were family friends of ours.

Not Grgranny but Sean I loved The Carpenters. Saw them in concert several times. Karen had the voice of an angel .....so pure. "We've Only Just Begun" was the theme of my Junior prom....sigh. Their version of "Superstar" is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    "500 miles" by those scottish twins

"You're Beautiful" James Blunt (I liked it at first, now it's just an earworm)

"Bad Day" I can't remember his name
    The scottish Guys are the Proclaimers and i totally agree.

I think James Blunt's voice is awful and screechy just like his speaking voice!

Daniel Powter (sp?) is the bad day guy and i must say i did like this song but it was over played on the radio and i got bored of it.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Hopefully those of us on this side of the pond will REMAIN mercifully ignorant; this sounds absolutely diabolical.

In regards to the Chumbawumba and Cardigans tracks: These would not have been bad had they not been PLAYED TO DEATH AND DRAGGED OUT AND PLAYED AGAIN EVERY 20 MINUTES UNTIL A HOLE WAS BORED INTO THE CD BY THE LASER. Sometimes what makes a song annoying, to me, is that it's something that I barely like to begin with, but then long about the oh, I don't know, 978th time THAT WEEK you've heard it, it is time to call for a Federal Communications Commission ban to avoid a potential gun spree......
    I couldn't agree more with the over playing on the radio. I must say that i've pretty much liked all of the black eyed peas tracks that have been released but i never buy anything because after a couple of weeks i hate the tracks because they are played many hundreds of times a day over the various radio stations!

I think you will remain ignorant of the cheeky girls (you don't know how lucky you are!) they were famously awful twins from the very first (or maybe second) pop idol series here in the UK. Simon Cowell very famously slagged them to the hilt for basically being two reasonably pretty (though that is a matter of taste!) twins who could not hold a tune. They have made a truck load of money releasing gimmicky tracks. Hilariously on a "celebrity idol" type affair over here Ruby Wax and British Comedienne Jo Brand performed the cheeky song to great comic effect!

Ant

I really love the Carpenters. I've never admitted it to my kids, but I really like Achy Breaky Heart. I don't usually care for country music when they sing through their nose.

I don't usually care for country music when they sing through their nose.
    Glad someone else has noticed the "singing through their nose" thing! And unfortunately it's not just confined to COUNTRY music.

Addendum: "Sea of Love", I think it's called, by the Honeydrippers. Not only does the name of the group make you wanna gag, the song itself is horrible. The "singing string" routine went out in the 70s, mercifully, but this one features not only that but an annoying "ah-ah-ah-ah" routine and the lyrics are hideous.

"Saturday In The Park" by Chicago. One of the most hideous, all over the place, musical arrangements ever. Sounds like they were all drunk off their butts when they recorded it and just let the instruments do whatever and inane lyrics to boot.

"Reeling In The Years" by Steely Dan. Worst song by an otherwise extremely talented band. I don't know what there is about this song that makes me grind my teeth down to nubs, but it could be used as a torture device by militant groups.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Not Grgranny but Sean I loved The Carpenters. Saw them in concert several times. Karen had the voice of an angel .....so pure. "We've Only Just Begun" was the theme of my Junior prom....sigh. Their version of "Superstar" is my favorite.
    Not Grgranny either but I LOVE THE CARPENTERS. I saw them in concert too. I have several of their CD's, including their Christmas CD. Love it, love it.

I think if the Carpenters or Josh Groban sang Let there be peace on Earth, I would love it if they change the sexist language in it to include everyone not just my brothers.

Dee

Addendum: "Sea of Love", I think it's called, by the Honeydrippers. Not only does the name of the group make you wanna gag, the song itself is horrible. The "singing string" routine went out in the 70s, mercifully, but this one features not only that but an annoying "ah-ah-ah-ah" routine and the lyrics are hideous.
    I expected more from Robert Plant.......but they redeemed themselves with a cover of R ay Charles' "I've Got a Woman". This was a true supergroup Plant, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Nile Rogers.
    Last edited by Piel; 07-19-2006 at 04:45 PM.

I expected more from Robert Plant....
    Didn't we all....

You know, I've always been intrigued by the concept of a show called "What Were Ya Thinkin"?" This would be kind of like the old "This Is Your Life" only they bring actors, singers, on and show clips from really awful movies they made or really bad songs they recorded and then ask them, 'WHAT WERE YA THINKIN'??" If this ever becomes a reality, and if Robert Plant is on it, they need to dig the whole Honeydrippers thing up.

re. Karen Carpenter: Really funny she got brought up, because right before she was mentioned on this thread, for some reason I started to think of the Carpenters. Saccharine, yes. But she really did have a marvelous voice and IMO could really sell the song without making you want to throw up, which, in the case of some those songs, was no simple acheivement.

I expected more from Robert Plant....
    If you see the DVD he and Jimmy go to Kashmir, that made up for anything he did that was short of expectations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast