Happy Birthday Dick Button | Golden Skate

Happy Birthday Dick Button

debdelilah

On the Ice
I was looking up his profile, and happened to notice that he turned 77 today. He was born July 18, 1929.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Doe this mean we get to play the DB drinking game to celebrate?

Happy Birthday Mr. Button!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:birthday:, Uncle Dickie. Thank you for your many years of commentary & memorable expressions. May you have a "first rate" day! :party: :party2:

jesslily

Final Flight
Happy birthday Dick Button! I still consider he has been the best figure skating commentator.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
jesslily said:
I still consider he has been the best figure skating commentator.

Which part - the way he talks like nobody in the world has ever been as good of a skater as him or his extreme pro-American bias?

Zuranthium said:
Which part - the way he talks like nobody in the world has ever been as good of a skater as him or his extreme pro-American bias?

That's not exactly a happy birthday thought. It would have been better for you to not say anything about American bias especially when this poster spent time in Germany listening to Eurosport commentators including Witt going bananas for German skaters. If you don't like Button - go to another channel. If you don't like American skaters try another country. It's that simple.

Joe

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
If you don't like Button - go to another channel.

Yeah, that's not it at all. Everyone has missed the reflexive nature of my post. He is hypercritical of everything, as I am being of his commentaries. No doubt he knows a lot, but he sure does talk over the performances an unnecessary amount and add a negative slant towards every non-American skater.

It's a tribute to him; I'm sure he would admire the effort. Happy Birthday!!!

76olympics

On the Ice
Happy Birthday to Mr. Button. I am going to have to differ: I think he likes or dislikes certain things equally regardless of the nationality of the skater. He doesn't care for sloppy laybacks, mega-Beillmans from every skater in every corner of the program, hunched sitspins, meaningless frenetic arm movements etc. I always remember him being quite complimentary about the Russian pairs dynasties to the point that I actually wanted him to root for the American underdogs (and I am a big fan of Russian pairs). I think Peggy said once that she was afraid of him when she was an amateur and didn't think he liked her at all!

He can be heartwarmingly appreciative when skaters show style and ingenuity. I always enjoyed his commentary for Matt Savoie. He used to get speechless with disappointment when Paul Wylie would mess up a beautiful amateur program with falls. I really wish he could have commentated the 1992 Olympics when Paul finally came through ( it would also mean I wouldn't have to hear Scott screech when I watch it again!).

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
Thanks for saying it so well.

76olympics said:
Happy Birthday to Mr. Button. I am going to have to differ: I think he likes or dislikes certain things equally regardless of the nationality of the skater. He doesn't care for sloppy laybacks, mega-Beillmans from every skater in every corner of the program, hunched sitspins, meaningless frenetic arm movements etc. I always remember him being quite complimentary about the Russian pairs dynasties to the point that I actually wanted him to root for the American underdogs (and I am a big fan of Russian pairs). I think Peggy said once that she was afraid of him when she was an amateur and didn't think he liked her at all!

He can be heartwarmingly appreciative when skaters show style and ingenuity. I always enjoyed his commentary for Matt Savoie. He used to get speechless with disappointment when Paul Wylie would mess up a beautiful amateur program with falls. I really wish he could have commentated the 1992 Olympics when Paul finally came through ( it would also mean I wouldn't have to hear Scott screech when I watch it again!).
I say Happy bithday Dick Button and thank him for teaching a little boy from the woods of Louisiana about figure skating. How would I have ever known a flip from a lutz or a flutz and a loop from a toeloop. I never even saw an ice rink in person until I had been a devoted fan for 10 years.Now I am as critical of a bad layback as he is & glad to know the difference. And now my favorite place in the world to go is US Nations! Thanks Dick!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Looking at him, I've NEVER been able to believe he's as old as he is. I hope I look even half that good at 77.

As far as I'm concerned, no televised competition is really complete unless he's doing the commentary (or, the "narration", as he himself prefers to call it.). Snarky on occasion? Oh you bet. But that's what makes him so much fun...

HAPPY 77TH, DICK.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(77 is a lucky number, is it not?)