U.S. Gymnastics Championships | Golden Skate

U.S. Gymnastics Championships

S

someonein2003

U.S. Gymnastics Championships

Did anyone watch nationals , what did you think. Also does anyone else think the U.S. has a very strong chance for gold medal in the team finals. I read articles about how everyone thinks the gymnastics field in both men and women are very deep, does anyone else think its true?

S

Show 42

Re: U.S. Gymnastics Championships

Darn, I missed it........went shopping instead.....:( 42

C

cborsky

I think that the United States have many talented gymnasts, and I think they'll go far in international competition.
What I'd really like is to have the body of a gymnast. I'm always so facinated by their emence strength and hyperflexibility.

~Cass

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">Why don't they have World team and all-around competitions every year anymore?</span>

G

guinevere

US Gymnastics

I managed to catch the last hour. I love to watch gymnastics, but I don't follow it closely (like FS), so I often miss the competitions. I was rooting for Tasha Schweikert, because I thought she was the Next Big Thing when she made the Oly team in 2000 - I couldn't believe how mature she looked!

Krupet (is that right?) had 2 stellar routines that I saw - bars and beam - and she definitely deserved to win, but I was proud of Tasha for pulling herself up from 6th to tie for 2nd!

guinevere

T

tharrtell

Re: US Gymnastics

I did watch and thought it looked like a deep crew, but the one thing I found disturbing was that the US team seems to be going in the direction of the Romanian teams. There's no originality anymore. All the floor routines looked the same - I think you could have taken any one gymnast's music and played it for another without a problem. Maybe they should just go the route of the men and have no music. There's no dance involved anymore, so why bother?

Edited to add: I did like Hollie Vise though. She's got some interesting moves. Too bad it doesn't look like she'll ever have enough power to be a real all around competitor. She's matured over the last few years and still hasn't gained powere - don't know if she'll be able.

O

Oceanguy

RG, my thoughts exactly about the World Championships competition. Does anyone know why there aren't the all around and team competitions anymore? Are there going to be those competitions at the Olympics? I loved that format of the championships b/c I liked to see the more conservative sets or routines in the team competition and then the event finals is where they let it all the difficult elements fly! Also, I think that, at least, the team portion of the competition allowed the gymnasts to gain confidence for the rest of the meet!

Anyone know when the men's comp. is going to be aired.....???
AB

L

Lcp88

I can't watch gymnastics reguarly anymore after finishing the book "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" it talks about how hard little 4'5" 11 year olds have to work to keep their bodies little and narrow and how awful some of the coaches are, pushing the 15 and 16 year olds who are maturing regularly to loose weight and compete through injury (some serious, like torn tendons and broken elbows.) It made me a little sick.
On a slightly happier note:D , I did watch the 2000 Olympics and one girl, I think her name was Ashley something (she was short and African American), had really good bar routines. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, is she still around?
Laura

T

tharrtell

I don't pay attention all that closely, but it seems to me that the World Championship format keeps changing. I believe that there is a team, all around, individual apparatus competition every other year (the odd years). The Olympics come every 4 years (yeah, I know I'm not telling y'all something you don't know!), and then there is a down year. Last year was that down year and they had only individual apparatus finals at the World Level. I can't keep up, though, because I know that they had individual apparatus finals in 1992 and that was an Oly year. I also think that Shannon Miller was All Around Champ (although, I could be wrong) in 1993 and 1994 - and I'd have thought 1994 was a down year. So, doesn't seem like there's a rhyme or reason to how they hold competitions.

Laura, I don't believe there was an athlete on the 2000 Oly team (from the US, anyway) named Ashley. Dominique Dawes and Tasha Schwikert were both on the team - Tasha is still around and doing well.

L

Lcp88

Oh well, she might have been from France or something. I don't have a good long term memory:) ...
Laura

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">ASHLEY POSTELL, reigning World beam champion.</span>