How many of 3 silver medalists from 2006 win gold in 2010? | Golden Skate

How many of 3 silver medalists from 2006 win gold in 2010?

How many of 3 silver medalists from 06 strike gold in four years?

• 0 of 3 silver winners from 06 win gold in 2010

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • 1 of 3 silver winners from 06 win gold in 2010

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • 2 of 3 silver winners from 06 win gold in 2010

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • 3 of 3 silver winners from 06 win gold in 2010

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If you had to guess now how many of these 3 silver medalists from 2006 will go one to take the final step at the 2010 Olympics and claim gold-Lambiel, Belbin and Agosto, and Zhang and Zhang. I did not include Cohen as I strongly suspect nobody would vote for her, and thus it would serve no purpose to include her. You dont have to specify which, just vote on the number out of 3.

I voted for zero, just on the basis of "anything can happen." Lambiel is better than anyone, but is he better than everyone on a given day? Belbin and Agosto are sitting pretty now, but now is now and then is then. Hey, Sasha could hang around and win after all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm. You just never know, really. My current mindset would think B & A will have the best shot in 2010 but there's just too much time in between.

Mafke

Medalist
I voted zero just because a silver medalist returning and winning gold is pretty rare (I assume most common in Dance which I don't follow).

For singles, since 1948 (didn't want to dig back before WWII and I checked quickly so it could be off)

On the ladies side Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss and Sjoukje Dijsktra each did it winning gold in 1956, 1960 and 1964 respectively after second place finishes in the previous olympics and no lady has done so since.

For the men, Evgenij Plushenko is the only man who's managed it (in 2006 of course).

Someone else can look up pairs and dance, though IIRC in Dance B&B and K&P did it in 1988 and 1992 respectively (IINM K&P are the only figure skaters I can think of with a complete olympic collection (bronze, silver, gold)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mafke said:
I voted zero just because a silver medalist returning and winning gold is pretty rare (I assume most common in Dance which I don't follow).

For singles, since 1948 (didn't want to dig back before WWII and I checked quickly so it could be off)

On the ladies side Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss and Sjoukje Dijsktra each did it winning gold in 1956, 1960 and 1964 respectively after second place finishes in the previous olympics and no lady has done so since.

For the men, Evgenij Plushenko is the only man who's managed it (in 2006 of course).

Someone else can look up pairs and dance, though IIRC in Dance B&B and K&P did it in 1988 and 1992 respectively (IINM K&P are the only figure skaters I can think of with a complete olympic collection (bronze, silver, gold)

In pairs and dance the only other one who has done it(sort of)was Berezhnaya3Sikhardlidze going from silver in 98 to gold(sort of)in 2002. So that would make only 7 skaters/teams in history over 4 events combined, not alot as you said.

Also if more then one managed to do it that would be the first time in history as well that happened in one Olympiad(silver medal winner from last Olympics winning gold four years later).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hesitated between 0 and 1, and in the end chose 1. It might be possible for either Lambiel or maybe more likely for Belbin/Agosto to have a chance for gold medal in 2010, but like others have remarked, it is a long time until 2010 Olympics.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Bill508 said:
Fumie, at 29, shocks the skating world and wins gold for Japan in 2010.

I want to laugh at that thought, but then again, something's stopping me...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
History suggests it would be very unlikely for more then 1, and even not that likely for 1. I suspect silver medal winners who are young enough going on to win gold 4 years later is something that always seems more likely to happen then it actually is, and that history shows is.

flutterby1145

Rinkside
I think only silver medalists from 2006 that will win (or has a good chance to win) the OGM in 2010 are the Zhangs and Tanith and Ben.

RRjo

Spectator
I think that the long forecast could be done only in dances. All the other kinds are too unpredictable. Tanith and Ben for Gold!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
In pairs and dance the only other one who has done it(sort of)was Berezhnaya3Sikhardlidze going from silver in 98 to gold(sort of)in 2002. So that would make only 7 skaters/teams in history over 4 events combined, not alot as you said.
You can sort of add Dmitriev to the list - silver with Mishkutenok in '94, gold with Kazakova in '98 (yah, yah, I know, it doesn't count because he switched partners, but still).

Also, there have been a few silver/gold in reverse - Valova & Vasiliev won gold in '84 and silver in '88;
Mishkitenok & Dmitriev in '92 and '94
Gillis Graffstrom - gold in '20, '24 and '28 - silver in '32

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think that Tanith & Ben will have a shot at the 2010 gold. The others may not even compete due to injuries.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
You can sort of add Dmitriev to the list - silver with Mishkutenok in '94, gold with Kazakova in '98 (yah, yah, I know, it doesn't count because he switched partners, but still).

Also, there have been a few silver/gold in reverse - Valova & Vasiliev won gold in '84 and silver in '88;
Mishkitenok & Dmitriev in '92 and '94
Gillis Graffstrom - gold in '20, '24 and '28 - silver in '32

Dmitriev was amazing to do what he did with two different partners. You are right that some golden people have dropped to silver. None of the golden people from Turin will even be in Vancouver(likely)though so that wont happen again this time.