History of the Axel | Golden Skate

History of the Axel

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Since this is a slow time for skating and for topics, I was looking up some information on Karen Magnussen and came across this page about the history of the Axel jump. I thought it was an interesting read. So for anyone out there interested here is the information:

http://www.answers.com/topic/axel-jump

antmanb

Record Breaker
Zuranthium said:
I wonder if anyone will ever manage a Quad Axel. That would be delirious.

Viacheslav Zagarodnuik when through a phase of playing with them in practice but had little success. Yagudin also was rumoured to have played quite seiously with the jump and was landing them in a harness - though obviosuly one can be helped greatly in a harness.

I've always wondered if a skater like Pluschenko has ever tried 4T/4T combination. I remember Elvis Stojko saying he couldn't imagine it and that he'd tried 3T/4T on a number of occassions and stood it a couple of times.

Ant

Vash01

Medalist
When Tim Goebel was on top of his game, I thought he may some day land a quad axel or at least a quad flip. Michael Weiss tried quad lutz (so did Plushy and pulled a muscle). I don't know if anyone actually seriously tried the quad axel.

Vash01 said:
When Tim Goebel was on top of his game, I thought he may some day land a quad axel or at least a quad flip. Michael Weiss tried quad lutz (so did Plushy and pulled a muscle). I don't know if anyone actually seriously tried the quad axel.
More often than not, Michael made the quad air rotations which in today's CoP would give him much credit. The 6.0 just made it a fall or a bad jump.

Joe