Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skaters and Advertising

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Skaters and Advertising

Of course, the skaters of today - like Michelle Kwan for example - make huge amounts of money endorsing products, but here is an endorsement that Karen Magnussen did for Bee Hive Golden Corn Syrup in her day:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/Englis..._magnussen.htm

Shoe Diva
    Thanks Lad... even though I wasn't aware there was a triple gold medal awarded at Worlds...

In the US, I think Dorothy Hamill had the first big break through with a shampoo endorsement.

Anybody know of a skater that broke through before that?

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Sasha Cohen, in Citizen Watches, ads.

CW ad

Short and Sassy! I bought it and my hair was neither short nor sassy! I am so ashamed. But, I was twelve or thirteen--so what can I say! ( I also had the "Seventeen" magazine with Dorothy on the cover.)

Custom Title
    I'm sort of surprised if Peggy Fleming didn't get any endorsements.

Kristi Yamaguchi has had some recently (Smart Ones; GE Kitchens), but I don't know what she got right after her OGM.

I believe Dorothy got tthat spot more based on the fact she made one of the most popular hairstyles. I think I still hear people referring to that cut as the Dorothy. I even had it in the early 90s.

Kristi also did a still for GotMilk.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-19-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Here's Peggy for Haynes Extra Support Pantyhose (1975)

http://www.tias.com/10720/PictPage/1922075186.html

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan

Kristi Yamaguchi has had some recently (Smart Ones; GE Kitchens), but I don't know what she got right after her OGM.
    Peggy got a ton of them (I was only a year old at the time, but this is what I hear), including a soap commercial where she had to take a shower in the studio (bathing suit on, of course. Still, a bit risque, for America's Sweetheart of 1968)

I remember NANCY getting a lot more endorsements than KRISTI after Albertville and being much more visible in ads; there was some controversy (much deserved) over this because it is believed that race was a bit of a factor there. Endorsement-wise, Kristi came out ahead in the long run by having more of a PRO career than by winning the OGM (tho if she'd had one without the other she probably wouldn't have gotten much more at all.)

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I remember Kristi being in a Wendy's commercial with founder Dave Thomas. It was really cute. I still have it on tape.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Thanks Lad... even though I wasn't aware there was a triple gold medal awarded at Worlds...

In the US, I think Dorothy Hamill had the first big break through with a shampoo endorsement.

Anybody know of a skater that broke through before that?
    The triple gold medal Karen earned in 1973:

Gold - Figures
    Gold - Short program
    Gold - Free Skate

Karen placed first in all three disciplines. In those days figures still counted for most of the marks. It was considered quite a feat to come first in all three disciplines.

Rinkside
    I remember in the 90's that Peggy Fleming endorsed os-cal... that was actually what I mostly knew her as before I go into skating and I still think of it whenever I see her!

And I also remember Kristi endorsing entemann's in a commericial.... and I could really go for that delicious chocolate frosted cake right now!

Welcome to Golden Skate,Turandot. Post often, post long!

Mathman

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    The triple gold medal Karen earned in 1973:

Gold - Figures
    Gold - Short program
    Gold - Free Skate

Karen placed first in all three disciplines. In those days figures still counted for most of the marks. It was considered quite a feat to come first in all three disciplines.
    Thank you Ladskater! I was so confused

Tara Lipinski had several big deals after her OGM - the one I remember best is DKNY for Girls... cute ads...

I remember how shocked the sports marketing industry was after Sarah's dad made the decision to limit what she could do... left a TON of money on the table.

And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...

Custom Title
    Speaking of ads, I like the GotMilk ads!

Michelle:
    http://heatherw.com/mk/endorse/pics/gotmilk.jpg

Kristy:
    http://www.whymilk.com/ad_downloads/...amaguchi_l.jpg

and others. I wonder when Sasha's will be coming out, I like these ads!

They wouldn't let Barbara Ann Scott keep the cream colored Buick she paraded in after her triumph at the Olys. That old Avery Bunderage or whatever his name was, was a strict enforcer of amateur rules.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast