Skaters and Advertising | Golden Skate

Skaters and Advertising

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thanks Lad... even though I wasn't aware there was a triple gold medal awarded at Worlds...:laugh:

In the US, I think Dorothy Hamill had the first big break through with a shampoo endorsement.

Anybody know of a skater that broke through before that?

76olympics

On the Ice
Short and Sassy! I bought it and my hair was neither short nor sassy! I am so ashamed. But, I was twelve or thirteen--so what can I say!:rofl: ( I also had the "Seventeen" magazine with Dorothy on the cover.)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm sort of surprised if Peggy Fleming didn't get any endorsements.

Kristi Yamaguchi has had some recently (Smart Ones; GE Kitchens), but I don't know what she got right after her OGM.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I believe Dorothy got tthat spot more based on the fact she made one of the most popular hairstyles. I think I still hear people referring to that cut as the Dorothy. I even had it in the early 90s.

Kristi also did a still for GotMilk.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I'm sort of surprised if Peggy Fleming didn't get any endorsements.

Kristi Yamaguchi has had some recently (Smart Ones; GE Kitchens), but I don't know what she got right after her OGM.

Peggy got a ton of them (I was only a year old at the time, but this is what I hear), including a soap commercial where she had to take a shower in the studio (bathing suit on, of course. Still, a bit risque, for America's Sweetheart of 1968) :laugh:

I remember NANCY getting a lot more endorsements than KRISTI after Albertville and being much more visible in ads; there was some controversy (much deserved) over this because it is believed that race was a bit of a factor there. Endorsement-wise, Kristi came out ahead in the long run by having more of a PRO career than by winning the OGM (tho if she'd had one without the other she probably wouldn't have gotten much more at all.)

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I remember Kristi being in a Wendy's commercial with founder Dave Thomas. It was really cute. I still have it on tape. :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Thanks Lad... even though I wasn't aware there was a triple gold medal awarded at Worlds...:laugh:

In the US, I think Dorothy Hamill had the first big break through with a shampoo endorsement.

Anybody know of a skater that broke through before that?

The triple gold medal Karen earned in 1973:

Gold - Figures
Gold - Short program
Gold - Free Skate

Karen placed first in all three disciplines. In those days figures still counted for most of the marks. It was considered quite a feat to come first in all three disciplines.

Turandot

Rinkside
I remember in the 90's that Peggy Fleming endorsed os-cal... that was actually what I mostly knew her as before I go into skating and I still think of it whenever I see her!

And I also remember Kristi endorsing entemann's in a commericial.... and I could really go for that delicious chocolate frosted cake right now!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
The triple gold medal Karen earned in 1973:

Gold - Figures
Gold - Short program
Gold - Free Skate

Karen placed first in all three disciplines. In those days figures still counted for most of the marks. It was considered quite a feat to come first in all three disciplines.

Thank you Ladskater! I was so confused :laugh:

Tara Lipinski had several big deals after her OGM - the one I remember best is DKNY for Girls... cute ads...

I remember how shocked the sports marketing industry was after Sarah's dad made the decision to limit what she could do... left a TON of money on the table.

And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...

They wouldn't let Barbara Ann Scott keep the cream colored Buick she paraded in after her triumph at the Olys. That old Avery Bunderage or whatever his name was, was a strict enforcer of amateur rules.

Joe

sheilagh

Rinkside
Karen Magnussen also did a TV commercial for Blue Bonnet margarine. So domestic ... definitely were fewer opportunities for female athletes back in those days.

-- sheilagh

southwest wind

Rinkside
TV commericals: Josie Chouinard did Short and Sassy commericals, Jennifer Robinson did Bank of Montreal (BMO). Kurk did a pop (Diet Coke or Pepsi). Jamie and David did cereal

Teenes

On the Ice
Kurt did a Diet Coke commercial where he does a backflip (and possibly a quad?). He's also done AOL Canada in more recent years, and I know he endorsed Ultrawheels, though I'm not sure if there were any TV spots for that. I think he's done more, I just don't remember off the top of my head. Kurt, Scott, and Katia did Target commercials when Target was sponsoring SOI.

Kristi had some commercial in the last few years for some Hawaiian sauce (no idea if that was a local commercial to the Bay Area or not, the production values were not that high). Katia had commercials for her own fragrance, and she and Daria also did Got Milk...

Kwanford Wife said:
And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...
It kind of puts in perspective her determination to to persevere in 2002 and 2006.

On the other hand, with a face like this, who needs fifteen million dollars? :)