Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Skaters and Advertising

  1. #16
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Karen Magnussen also did a TV commercial for Blue Bonnet margarine. So domestic ... definitely were fewer opportunities for female athletes back in those days.

    -- sheilagh

  2. #17
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    62
    TV commericals: Josie Chouinard did Short and Sassy commericals, Jennifer Robinson did Bank of Montreal (BMO). Kurk did a pop (Diet Coke or Pepsi). Jamie and David did cereal

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    204
    Kurt did a Diet Coke commercial where he does a backflip (and possibly a quad?). He's also done AOL Canada in more recent years, and I know he endorsed Ultrawheels, though I'm not sure if there were any TV spots for that. I think he's done more, I just don't remember off the top of my head. Kurt, Scott, and Katia did Target commercials when Target was sponsoring SOI.

    Kristi had some commercial in the last few years for some Hawaiian sauce (no idea if that was a local commercial to the Bay Area or not, the production values were not that high). Katia had commercials for her own fragrance, and she and Daria also did Got Milk...

  4. #19
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...
    It kind of puts in perspective her determination to to persevere in 2002 and 2006.

    On the other hand, with a face like this, who needs fifteen million dollars?

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    It kind of puts in perspective her determination to to persevere in 2002 and 2006.

    On the other hand, with a face like this, who needs fifteen million dollars?
    Or a body like this!
    http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cu0144b9qd.jpg

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    ... .

    And while we love to recognize how much Michelle makes as an endorser ~ keep in mind that by not winning in '02 - she lost out in about 15 million+ ... If she'd pulled off a win in '06 ~ she had the potential to make basketball player money... we're talking nike, gatoraid, cars, snack foods, kids' lines and whatever else Madison Ave. could've dreamed up...
    I'm not so sure you are correct as to the numbers. According to the opinion granting Tonya's injunction (which I looked up on my legal research sites), an OGM could earn about 10 to 15 million over the skater's lifetime -- if the skater did not turn down a single chance to make a buck. However, since interest in skating has dropped off so dramatically, I doubt that this is still practicable. I think that an OGM now would bring in a bunch of ads short term, but it would die away shortly.

    Anyway, Phil Hersch estimated that Kwan was earning about two to three million a year between '98 and '03 alone from all sources (COI was doing more tours per season; endorsements; the Disney deal, etc.) -- with the money she has earned over her career to date, she has probably earned as much if not more than any of the "non-entrepreneurial" OGMs (by non-entrepreneurial, I mean those OGMs who don't start their own skating shows, productions companies, etc.)

  7. #22
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I'm not so sure you are correct as to the numbers. According to the opinion granting Tonya's injunction (which I looked up on my legal research sites), an OGM could earn about 10 to 15 million over the skater's lifetime -- if the skater did not turn down a single chance to make a buck. However, since interest in skating has dropped off so dramatically, I doubt that this is still practicable. I think that an OGM now would bring in a bunch of ads short term, but it would die away shortly.

    Anyway, Phil Hersch estimated that Kwan was earning about two to three million a year between '98 and '03 alone from all sources (COI was doing more tours per season; endorsements; the Disney deal, etc.) -- with the money she has earned over her career to date, she has probably earned as much if not more than any of the "non-entrepreneurial" OGMs (by non-entrepreneurial, I mean those OGMs who don't start their own skating shows, productions companies, etc.)
    Oh, I agree about the earning potential of an olympic gold medalist being between 10-15 million over a lifetime based on '94 figures & inflation...

    But we're not talking about an olympic gold medalist... we're talking about Michelle Kwan... a true sports icon & legend. Someone who transend their individual sport and reaches the masses...

    This girl had the potential to make 10-15 million between '02 & '06. The '02 gold would've put her on the same level as Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters and Mia Hamm... big money. HUGE money. And yes, she does have millions and is one of the best paid female sports stars in the country... but all without a major apparel or soft drink ad... Nike & Gatoraid opportunities make big bucks for the athlete... and its unfortunate that she doesn't have a bigger piece of that pie, imho

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,055
    I doubt that Nike would ever hire a figure skater -- even if MK had won the gold. After all, skaters wear another kind of footwear. It would, however, be interesting to find out what deals Michelle might have gotten if she had won the gold.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I doubt that Nike would ever hire a figure skater -- even if MK had won the gold. After all, skaters wear another kind of footwear. It would, however, be interesting to find out what deals Michelle might have gotten if she had won the gold.

    Well Nancy was a spokesperson for Rebok. The ad's showed her crosstraining.

  10. #25
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I doubt that Nike would ever hire a figure skater -- even if MK had won the gold. After all, skaters wear another kind of footwear. It would, however, be interesting to find out what deals Michelle might have gotten if she had won the gold.
    Nike, addidas, puma... would've definately considered hiring MK with a gold medal... and many more... so its unfortunate that she didn't have those opportunities...

  11. #26
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kristiania, Noreg
    Posts
    92
    I remember that Katia did a Rolex ad - it also included either Fleming or Hamill, but I always get them mixed up!

    Elvis Stojko did a TV commercial for McCain's juice about 10 years ago, I think.

    On the topic of Michelle and Nike: Nike used to make skates - hockey skates, that is, and I am not sure if this is still the case, since everyone made fun of their white skates in a world where hockey skates are always black - and they still make clothing so they wouldn't necessarily have passed up Michelle based solely on the fact that her, ah, "footwear of choice" is figure skates.

  12. #27
    Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    516
    Liz Manley did a TV ad for some drink called Mr. Juicy,and Kristi did an ad for some color contacts (lenses).

  13. #28
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    37
    Endorsements may be the traditional moneymaker for an OGM, but i'm thinking it could be parlayed into other, non-traditional venues by the "right" skater...clothing lines, makeup lines, cooking/food lines...sound familiar? I'm thinking Sasha easily blew 10 or 12M

    sortof makes her LP comeback even more impressive. If i were her, visions of dollars flying away on wings would have melted me down

  14. #29
    Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,415
    Katia, also had her own fragrance. Called, of all things, "Katia".

  15. #30
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,227
    Here' s a link to Katia and Daria's Got Milk ad.

    http://www.gg-corner.de/scans/ad/milk/ad_got-milk01.jpg

    Realistically, Katia got a lot of endorsements because of the circumstances of Sergei's death and their romance.

    I think MK and Katia and other skaters have been named as People's 100 most beautiful.

    Don't forget MK's Kraft salad dressing commercial. Also, Kristi was a spokesperson for Acetate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •