Thread: Toronto skating seminar article with photos (Kulik coaching)

Custom Title

Toronto skating seminar article with photos (Kulik coaching)

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/ind...&st=0#entry336

Short excerpt from the article:

< Orser and fellow co-director, Tracy Wilson had been planning a series of summer seminars for almost a year. When Orser was in Switzerland last year he observed Kulik instructing the Swiss team members at a summer camp. “I really liked what he was doing and I thought he would be good for us,” Orser said. “So I asked him if he would be interested in coming to Toronto and he said yes. It is really great to have him here, the kids are loving it.” Orser conducted three seminars in early July that also were very well attended. >

Here some of the skaters that participated:

Alissa Czisny
    Shawn Sawyer
    Olivia Houston
    RJ Westfall
    Yu-Na Kim
    Patrick Chan
    Am&#233;lie Lacoste
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-17-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Banned
    I so want to go next year!

Ilya is starting to look a little older in these pictures. He has always had a boyish face (to go along with that youthful charm).

Thumbs up

Makes me almost wish I could go and try to skate. :chorus: :chorus:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Ilya is starting to look a little older in these pictures. He has always had a boyish face (to go along with that youthful charm).
    It's the eyes...he's got some bags going on. Needs more sleep and moisturizer!

Custom Title
    I found this old report where Ilia Kulik helps a young skater at Snapple Skate with Stars:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...8?dmode=source

< First, visiting coaches... They are effective at giving another perspective to a skater. They may spot flaws that day-to-day coaching may miss... there are any number of other benefits they may bring, depending upon their own skills. I think I have mentioned this before here, but at the Snapple Skate with the Stars a few years ago, Illia Kulik spent about 20 minutes with my granddaughter working on entrance to spins and got her over the hump. Before this, she couldn't spin for anything. She used the off ice spinning gadget, her coach was working with her and nothing seemed to click with her. Then Illia worked with her and managed to pull it all together in that 20 minute session. It made the cost of the whole weekend worth it. At the time, she was not an advanced skater. She was fairly low-level. I don't know if it was his teaching technique or her awe of having an Olympic Gold medal winner showing her how to skate but whatever it was, it worked. >