Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Sasha's taking a year off

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflows
    Call me uninformed, but what exactly did Robin say about her?
    Robin essentially called Sasha lazy, saying she wouldn't follow her training plan, that she wouldn't ever leave her comfort zone... on National television. Not saying that isn't true... but it makes you wonder how many other skaters will want to work with her, since she's so willing to air people's dirty laundry.

Down With It
    Robin Wagner has no excuse for being so unprofessional and publicly making nasty statements about Sasha.
    I didn't think she made nasty statements; she just said what was on her mind and while it may not have been PC of her to do so, I see nothing wrong with the content of her statements. Besides, Cohen had the opportunity to "defend" herself (and she did). However, that being said, I don't think it leaves people who may not know her with a good impression of her (and maybe drive away future students?)

Why???
    BECAUSE, she sounds like she wants to go off and do other things. At least I get that impression. She really seems like she is worn out and needs a break. I take her "coming back" comments as seriously as I took Sarah Hughes' when she said she wanted to make a "comeback" for 2006 (or 2010 - and look what happened). I think she's done, period. The only reason she's not retiring outright is because I bet she wants to keep her options open (like Kwan/Slutskaya). She'll get sucked into the fame and stardom of acting, and she can be in as much spotlight as she wants without having to skate anymore.
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-21-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I didn't think she made nasty statements; she just said what was on her mind and while it may not have been PC of her to do so, I see nothing wrong with the content of her statements. Besides, Cohen had the opportunity to "defend" herself (and she did). However, that being said, I don't think it leaves people who may not know her with a good impression of her (and maybe drive away future students?)
    Even though there may be "nothing wrong with the content of her statements", it was (IMO) extremely unprofessional to make the statements to the press. I think, though, it may have driven away future students. After all, since Sasha left, the closest thing to a "big name" seeking Robin's services was Sylvia Fontana. OTOH, take a coach that doesn't crticise his former pupils to the press -- Frank Carroll -- and he keeps getting promising students.

What a variety of comments and questions here!

I think Sasha said somewhere that acting doesn't get her worked up as much as competition. This leads me to believe that she will get back to figure skating after her 'break' if nothing she does gets her worked up. (Maybe a serious boyfirend? why not?) She's not Victoria Page who 'skates to live'.

I don't think she will leave the west coast for either Robin or Pricilla.

If Kimmie does not do well in the GPs, I think Sasha will show up. Just a feeling.

Joe

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Am I the only one here who gets way too many 'WEIRD WOMAN! WEIRD WOMAN!' vibes off Robin Wagner? No wonder Sasha wanted to stay in her "comfort zone". That Staring Into Each Other's Eyes Vulcan Mind Meld thing right before her Nats long program a couple of years ago STILL creeps me out....

From what I saw, Robin tweaked the Swan Lake in order to ensure Sasha would not get carried away and flub some elements. Other than that it was essentially the TT routine. It worked beautifully in the Dortmund QR.

Like TT, Robin and Sasha were not personally compatible, imo..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Am I the only one here who gets way too many 'WEIRD WOMAN! WEIRD WOMAN!' vibes off Robin Wagner? No wonder Sasha wanted to stay in her "comfort zone". That Staring Into Each Other's Eyes Vulcan Mind Meld thing right before her Nats long program a couple of years ago STILL creeps me out....
    I think Wagner is very weird. However, I don't see anything wrong with her statements about Sasha. I don't think she spoke any untruths.

I don't think Boitano, Witt and Sasha belong in the same category at all. I always felt that Brian and Kat were in skating as a primary endeavor provided their bodies held up. They were devoted to it and developed shows , etc. They were extremely focused during their amateur careers to the point that I think it did help their competitive drive. Sasha always seemed like she would be very happy to win, but had a wider variety of interests that pulled her away from skating. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It's apples and oranges.

I have experienced success in certain avenues that I did not pursue to the fullest. Sometimes, you choose to go just that far and it is good enough. I do think if she takes a lengthy break that it will become "the" break with amateur competition. If so, lots of silver medals and a national championship are nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by 76olympics; 07-21-2006 at 08:47 PM.

I would have to think that a "break" would mean "Done."
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-21-2006 at 08:20 PM.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics
    I don't think Boitano, Witt and Sasha belong in the same catagory at all. I always felt that Brian and Kat were in skating as a primary endeavor provided their bodies held up. They were devoted to it and developed shows , etc. They were extremely focused during their amateur careers to the point that I think it did help their competitive drive. Sasha always seemed like she would be very happy to win, but had a wider variety of interests that pulled her away from skating. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It's apples and oranges.
    Interesting point. Also, Boitano and Witt are from an entirely different generation, (And Witt of course came out of an entirely different system and social climate) and I think one could argue that that particular generation is much more focused, or is more capable of being focused on one thing, than the current crop of "young 'uns" from the last decade or so. I think the younger skaters now, for the most part, look at their skating careers as either a stepping stone to something else, or merely a phase of their life before going on to the next one, which I think is pretty much of a trend of the current generation, skaters or not, anyway. Note how Tara is now into her acting career (IMHO, she just loves the spotlight, and since injuries have kept her from being in it that way, she's got to find another way to be in it) and I would be very surprised if Sarah is involved in skating at all 5 years down the road. I just think the current generation believes that they have more options and are aware of the concept of "reinvention", much more than previous generations.

Custom Title
    About Robin Wagner and Sasha. The reason why Robin "went public" about Sasha (which was probably NOT the thing for a coach to do) was that Sasha had written in her very public online journal something to the effect that she (Sasha) liked Robin very much as a friend, but that her skating was terrible. That must have made Robin see red, because to her it read that Sasha blamed Robin for her poor skating. This after Sasha had taken virtually the entire summer off, supposedly going to Connecticut to train by herself, but doing very little in the way of practicing. Sasha tried to catch up in September, then overdid it and injured herself to the point that she had to drop out of the GP.

What's the difference between Robin saying that Sasha has bad training habits when Mr Nicks says the same thing? It may just be the way it was said, but both coaches have essentially made the same statements.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    What's the difference between Robin saying that Sasha has bad training habits when Mr Nicks says the same thing? It may just be the way it was said, but both coaches have essentially made the same statements.
    That was just the video. In an article by Hersh, Robin said much worse, like how Sasha just wants to win olympic gold, for example. What Robin didn't mention was that almost EVERY skater wants to win olympic gold (because it is a lifelong dream). Yet Robin made it sound like this was a bad thing for a skater to want. It was ugly.

Another point against Wagner was the nasty breakup she had with S. Hughes.
    Last edited by pelladon; 07-21-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Tarasova, Wagner and now Nicks have all indicated that she tends to slack off her training regimen.
    I don't think this is what Mr Nicks meant. He was explaining why he understood her desire to take a sabbatical. She's had injuries that, while relatively minor, repeatedly interrupted her training, so a long break might be needed for complete healing. At least, in context, that's what I think he meant.

I think she sounds quite purposeful about returning, and that acting has showed her how much skating really means to her. It calls on her to give of her talents in a much more total and "alive" way that seems to feed her spirit. So I don't think she'll throw it away until she's really over the hill. Worlds wasn't a decline, it was just exhaustion (mental and physical, IMO).

JohnnyCoop's analysis of the attitude of today's youth seems perceptive. It's a have-it-all-now generation. That could be what we're seeing with Sasha's current explorations.

ETA: Pelladon, WHAT nasty breakup with Sarah Hughes?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelladon
    Another point against Wagner was the nasty breakup she had with S. Hughes.
    I was not aware there was a breakup, can you or anyone else tell the details, please.

Dee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast