Looks like Sasha's taking a year off | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Looks like Sasha's taking a year off

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About Robin Wagner and Sasha. The reason why Robin "went public" about Sasha (which was probably NOT the thing for a coach to do) was that Sasha had written in her very public online journal something to the effect that she (Sasha) liked Robin very much as a friend, but that her skating was terrible. That must have made Robin see red, because to her it read that Sasha blamed Robin for her poor skating. This after Sasha had taken virtually the entire summer off, supposedly going to Connecticut to train by herself, but doing very little in the way of practicing. Sasha tried to catch up in September, then overdid it and injured herself to the point that she had to drop out of the GP.

heyang

Record Breaker
What's the difference between Robin saying that Sasha has bad training habits when Mr Nicks says the same thing? It may just be the way it was said, but both coaches have essentially made the same statements.

pelladon

Spectator
heyang said:
What's the difference between Robin saying that Sasha has bad training habits when Mr Nicks says the same thing? It may just be the way it was said, but both coaches have essentially made the same statements.
That was just the video. In an article by Hersh, Robin said much worse, like how Sasha just wants to win olympic gold, for example. What Robin didn't mention was that almost EVERY skater wants to win olympic gold (because it is a lifelong dream). Yet Robin made it sound like this was a bad thing for a skater to want. It was ugly.

Another point against Wagner was the nasty breakup she had with S. Hughes.

Last edited:
chuckm said:
Tarasova, Wagner and now Nicks have all indicated that she tends to slack off her training regimen.
I don't think this is what Mr Nicks meant. He was explaining why he understood her desire to take a sabbatical. She's had injuries that, while relatively minor, repeatedly interrupted her training, so a long break might be needed for complete healing. At least, in context, that's what I think he meant.

I think she sounds quite purposeful about returning, and that acting has showed her how much skating really means to her. It calls on her to give of her talents in a much more total and "alive" way that seems to feed her spirit. So I don't think she'll throw it away until she's really over the hill. Worlds wasn't a decline, it was just exhaustion (mental and physical, IMO).

JohnnyCoop's analysis of the attitude of today's youth seems perceptive. It's a have-it-all-now generation. That could be what we're seeing with Sasha's current explorations.

ETA: Pelladon, WHAT nasty breakup with Sarah Hughes?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
pelladon said:
I was not aware there was a breakup, can you or anyone else tell the details, please.

Dee

euterpe

Medalist
I think Sasha is done. She talks about returning after a year away, but wait until she finds out how difficult it will be to get back in shape after not skating for a year. Sarah Hughes tried that, and was only able to resurrect a couple of doubles and a single axel. Sasha won't have the huge weight gain to deal with that Sarah did, but she will still have an uphill road to climb.

Even when Sasha has started off a season basically IN shape, she has balked at serious training.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I dont think we will see her again. She is young enough to continue easily, but I dont sense the motivation is there anymore. She looked unmotivated and bored at Worlds, even though it was her best shot ever at a World title.

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I think Sasha is done. She talks about returning after a year away, but wait until she finds out how difficult it will be to get back in shape after not skating for a year. Sarah Hughes tried that, and was only able to resurrect a couple of doubles and a single axel. Sasha won't have the huge weight gain to deal with that Sarah did, but she will still have an uphill road to climb.

Even when Sasha has started off a season basically IN shape, she has balked at serious training.

Sasha and Sarah are two different people with completely different body types. The thing that derailed Sarah's comeback was that she didn't skate at all when she was at Yale and developed a body type that was incompatible with skating. Sasha just said that she was taking a break from competition; that doesn't mean that she is hanging up her skates and not skating for a year. I highly doubt Sasha is going to sprout 5 inches during her break and gain 30 pounds. If Sasha is going to act, she is going to need to do something to keep her body fit since that is the requirement to get work in Hollywood. She'll probably keep up her pilates and continue to skate in shows like Todd did when he took his time off. I think she will be fine in terms of keeping her tech level. However it remains to be seen whether her current tech level is going to keep her on the US Nationals podium by the time 2010 rolls around.

MKFSfan

Medalist
The other difference is Sasha is older and her body most likely won't change all that much. Sarah did packed on weight, but she also grew and filled out, was more curvy. Look at Kristi-she took time off to have a baby and was still able to get her triples back. If Michelle is healthy, she most likely will have her triples back. So, I'd imagine that aspect won't be tough for Sasha, IF she returns to eligible skating, it would be more of can she stay healthy to catch up with the newbies?

Sarah not only did not skate, but I bet some of the puberty monster caught up to her when she let her competitive figure go.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
pelladon said:

Dee4707 said:
I was not aware there was a breakup, can you or anyone else tell the details, please.

Dee

Since I asked and no one has answered am I to assume this was just a rumor??

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wasn't aware of a "breakup" either but I've heard about it so I think it's just a rumour. No one heard it from either Robin or Sarah (IIRC), so that's just what it is...a rumour.

pelladon

Spectator
Red Dog said:
I wasn't aware of a "breakup" either but I've heard about it so I think it's just a rumour. No one heard it from either Robin or Sarah (IIRC), so that's just what it is...a rumour.
Yea, that is true that Sarah and Robin never officially announced their separation. But Sarah has shown no interest in competing (other than her talk about the 2010 Olympics) so it doesn't mean much that they're still "together".

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I've heard two stories -- one is that Sarah told Robin she was going to Yale and not competing by leaving a message on the answer phone -- and got no response, and, the other had Robin telling Sarah that she was going to coach Sasha, by leaving a message on the answer phone -- and got no response. I never heard anything about a "nasty" break up; just one that sounded rather abrupt, especially considering the supposedly "close" relationship the two allegedly had.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think that's where the rumors started-Sarah at one point described Robin as another sister, 2nd mother and friend all wrapped up in one. Add on top a HUGE moment in her lifetime, the OGM, that she shared with Robin, plus all the after activities, like riding on a float together, it seemed like they were closer than the normal coach-student relationship. So, when all of a sudden we hear Robin say she hadn't heard from Sarah in months, but left a message on her machine to let Sarah know firsthand about coaching Sasha...well, it seemed way to abrupt. Robin obviously likes to experience her students journey, almost like she lives through them. She pretty much tried to take control of Sasha's life, moving her in with her, cooking together, eating and shopping out together. It seemed a bit much, especially since Sasha was 20 years old, and not really in need of another mom.

Also, we know she's a camera hog and loves attention. It must be tough when you are trying to become famous on and off the ice, to compete for that spotlight with your coach.

Point being, it may not have been confirmed by anyone involved, but kind of easy to speculate why Sarah and Sasha wouldn't want to be involved with Robin as adults.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, when all of a sudden we hear Robin say she hadn't heard from Sarah in months, but left a message on her machine to let Sarah know firsthand about coaching Sasha...well, it seemed way to abrupt.

Wait...Robin SAID this? When, and to who?

Alsace

On the Ice
I had to do some digging, but I found it in the archives at USFSA.

Wagner, of course, is best known for coaching Sarah Hughes to the Olympic gold medal in 2002. Wagner said she hasn't been on the ice with Hughes since April when Hughes competed at the ABC Sports International Figure Skating Challenge in Bridgeport, Conn. Hughes hasn't competed this season after starting college at Yale University in the fall. Wagner said she hasn't talked with Hughes since taking the job with Cohen but did leave a message for Hughes.

"She didn't express any interest in coming back to competitive skating," Wagner said of Hughes. "I'm a competitive coach—that's what I love, that's where my heart is. I love the tension, the pressure, the competitive scene. I love the media. So I was anxious to move my career on, and I'm able to do that now."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=20846&type=news

R.D.

Record Breaker
so I guess once the interest was lost, the relationship fizzled immediately.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
MKFSfan said:
Robin obviously likes to experience her students journey, almost like she lives through them. She pretty much tried to take control of Sasha's life, moving her in with her, cooking together, eating and shopping out together. It seemed a bit much, especially since Sasha was 20 years old, and not really in need of another mom.
I don't ever remember hearing that Robin MADE Sasha move in with her, I thought it was more of a convenience thing b/c Sasha hadn't had time to get settled into her own place. Anyway, it seems obvious that Sasha did need someone with her, as her mom did move out to the east coast with her. Sasha STILL lives with her mom. I think Robin is kinda goofy and wacky sometimes, but she's not the control-hungry demon that Sasha fans make her out to be.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Well, that's what I meant, but still, she did invite Sasha to move in with her and they did everything together. I can imagine when the "newness" wears off, it can be irritating.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO Sasha wants to be "the star".....I don't think what of matters to her as much as. being #1 at something, anything, LOL. Now if she is looking for this in Hollywood I think she is setting herself up for major disappointment. Figure skating was her best chance I think.