Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Sasha's taking a year off

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4072254?source=rss

"She also had a long talk three weeks ago with her wizened coach, John Nicks"

I didn't know if we could copy whole article, so that is basically, IMO, the "gist" of it!
    In the bit of the article that MKFSfan quoted there was the sentence in bold above - i wonder if that was a mistkae or whether they really meant to call John Nicks "wizened", i mean he does look a bit whithered and dried out (too much tanning it looks like) but still i'd have expected a newspaper to be a little more respectful!

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf

If Nicks retires, I think she should go back to Robin Wagner.
    I think that bridge has been well and truly burnt given the bitter and twisted comments that Wagner makes...i might get on Sasha's case for making PR gaffs and silly statements but she's never outright made directly nasty comments and is only 21 - Robin Wagner has no excuse for being so unprofessional and publicly making nasty statements about Sasha.

Ant

omg .. I couldn't wait to watch her performances next season.. if this is true, it'd be truly disappointing for her fans..
    I don't think it's gonna be wise taking a year off ; her comeback' d be soo hard.
    But.. I also think there's a lot of pressure on her right now and too many expectations.. I just think she's tired of all this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mememe
    I must admit I found the one part about how the "struggles" Boitano and Witt had after their "breaks" were brought up to give Sasha an idea of how hard it would be to come back after a ONE YEAR break.

Witt and Boitano had taken FIVE years "off" (from eligible competition) when they came back (although Boitano had been doing five triple-jump programs with triple axels and triple-triples in pro comps and on tours with theatrical lighting all during that time).
    That was my feeling as well. At least they, as well as others who have taken breaks, were still on the ice performing in front of crowds. Nothing can take the place of an actual competition/competitive LP, of course, but skating in pro-comps and on tours is still much closer than acting in front of cameras.

I think Sasha is just leaving that door ajar a bit in case she does want to return to eligible skating. After all, Sarah never officially retired, she swore she'd "Never say GoodBye" and has alluded to a 2010 return. Who thinks THAT will happen???

Thanks Zuranthium and MKFSfan for the gists of the article. I don't know why my computer wont show this. Anyway

I think how much has Sasha worked at skating for the love of skating? I believe her mother wanted her in sports and skating was safer than gymnastics. Sasha soon learned the glamour associated with figure skating and I believe this is what gave her the impetus to desire gold medals, which would be the ultimate in glamour. However, fate was not kind to her. While the Olys was on a roll for teenyboppers winning the gold medal, Sasha, in 2002, looked liked a shoo in, imo. Irina and Michelle already had their shot at teenybopper gold.

Glamour did come her way with various opportunities in the ad-field, particularly Citizen watches. Sasha gave the Olys one more chance. She skated a first rate program in Torino, was invited to the Oscars, met some VIPs and with her agent she has landed some acting work. Being associated with all those 'stars' of showbiz is glamourous.

Sasha has the glamour of showbiz but does she have it in figure skating? Anything less than gold at 2007 championships would be detrimental to her dreams of figure skating glamour, imo. It would be a risk for her to skate in 2007. I think her sabatical is the correct move at this point in time. I have no idea if she will be back in 2008, but good luck to her for whatever steps she takes in the future.

Joe

Custom Title
    I agree, Joe. If Michelle were to come back, what would she have to lose? Her resume/reputation will always back her up. On the other hand, Sasha has built a reputation as choking when it counts, to the point she is parodied on SNL and other athletes are labeled,"The Sasha Cohen of their sport." if they fail or don't play up to expectations. Sasha presents a good attitude about it, but it can't feel good knowing what has been your downfall in your overall goal is being used humourously.

IMO, the one thing about being (and staying) at the top is mental, and it's the hardest thing to learn or develop. Right now, well, following the Olympics, there has been a lot of interest in Sasha, so I think she'd be smarter to pursue new interests now while many know her name, or before she falls off the podium (if that is to happen). She's been on every podium of every competition she's entered since 2003 Worlds. That is really remarkable! She may not have a Worlds or Olympic title, but she has had much more of an impressive career than 90% of the skaters out there.

Custom Title
    Other than the "returnees from the pro world" from 1994, the only skater I can think of who ever took time completely off from skating was Todd Eldredge, who took two years off between Nagano and SLC; on his return, he won one Nat gold, one Nat silver and one world bronze. MK, on the other hand, went "half time" after SLC; she won four golds (three Nats; one world) as well as a world bronze. IMO, if Sasha wants to return to skating, she should go "half time", rather than taking a whole year off.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Actually, taking a season off and consequently NOT having to hear all the comments about what a choker she is and how she always makes a major mistake and can't ever seem to come through when it counts yada yada yada, just might help her confidence quite a bit.

Down With It
    Well, she may as well retire.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Well, she may as well retire.
    Why???

Dee

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Actually, if she chooses to change coaches, of if the decision is made for her by a retirement on the part of Mr. Nicks, why not Priscilla Hill? A laid-back approach might work well for her, and heaven knows if Ms. Hill can deal with Mr. Weir, she's GOT to be pretty laid back. Plus since Sasha and Johnny are like best girlfriends....

Custom Title
    The big problem with Sasha taking a year off is that she was never a dedicated trainer to begin with. Tarasova, Wagner and now Nicks have all indicated that she tends to slack off her training regimen. I recall that before Worlds, she wasn't spending nearly as much time on the rink as she was on the red carpet, and the results speak for themselves. Sasha has far too many interests other than skating and she just can't focus her whole attention on day-in-day-out hard work in the rink. Even if she did involve herself in a rigorous training program after a year off, she might suffer the same fate as Kwan and incur serious injury.

If she takes the whole year off, my prediction is that she will never be able to get back in competitive shape to take on Asada, Meissner and Kim. She just isn't ready to admit that her skating career is very likely over.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    If she takes the whole year off, my prediction is that she will never be able to get back in competitive shape to take on Asada, Meissner and Kim. She just isn't ready to admit that her skating career is very likely over.
    Why would she admit that her skating career is over. That would not be a wise business move. Right know Sasha is known for her skating career which includes quite a few endorsements. The acting thing is new and she does not know how that will pan out. IMO she is following the advice of her business manager who I think is doing a pretty good job of marketing Sasha.

Custom Title
    Just out of curiosity, what would Sasha have to gain from saying "my Oly eligible career is over"? It seems to me that there are probably a lot of different groups out there trying to hire her (professional skating; the different movie and flim roles she has been mentioning; etc); the more groups "competing", the more she can make. If she announced that she was retiring, it would be one less "competitor" -- and the bidding war might be reduced accordingly.

riverflows
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    Robin Wagner has no excuse for being so unprofessional and publicly making nasty statements about Sasha.
    Call me uninformed, but what exactly did Robin say about her?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast