COI in Denver | Golden Skate

COI in Denver

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I went tonight and it was a great show, I was in the front row:biggrin: Made eye contact with my favorite skaters (OH Tanith!!!:love: :love: :love: Shizuka!!!:love: :love: :love: ), except Sasha, Johnny and MK:cry: And no Rene & John, or Kimmie:mad: :boohoo: Didn't expect to see Shen & Zhao anyway, but I guess I had hopes for a surprise.

I would like to know if anyone else saw the show tonight?

I will comment more tomorrow, and I only took lousy notes for the first half - just so distracting (missed one of Victors jumps). I am sorry I was not in a more sharing mood, like taking pics and all that, but I would not have used the camera but maybe 2 times all night. I wanted to see them with my own eyes - and I am glad I did - watching Plusy's blades, Marina Gwendal's scarf interaction and her lifting him, listening to Max's skates as he held Tatiana turning (held my breath still) ....just everything was so wonderful, not perfect but wonderful. Even though Sasha fell on her butt durring an edge change and started backing. And MK caught a toe in the finalle as she stated out of the center, cute look on her face when she did it. And Mk did jump but, a not so high eagle. Anyway I will comment more tomorrow, or tonight if I stay up as usual.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Sean for the review. Glad you enjoyed the show.

Dee

SeaniBu said:
Even though Sasha fell on her butt durring an edge change and started backing.

SeaniBu, eagerly awaiting further details on these cryptic hints. Fell on an edge change? Backing??

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Spun Silver said:
SeaniBu, eagerly awaiting further details on these cryptic hints. Fell on an edge change? Backing??
Sorry, I was not sure if that was called a Mohawk. But she went in forward corner hard on the inside edges and changed to outside foot turning her halfway through, and then came to a stop, posed and then fell backwards as she stepped backwards, witch looked like it was going to be the right rear outside edge, it caught and she fell. To be perfectly honest I think I was looking more at her hands and how nice her hair is.:laugh:

Sorry I haven't gotten the rest of this out, and I am working on it. Had a couple of crappie things go on with my friends Baby. His wife was in induced labor proceedings for a day and a half and then the baby had respiratory problems, all is getting better now though. They are on their way home today and should be there shortly, bringing their sweet (and man that baby has been through a lot and been wonderful about it) Teagen Brooke to her new home. My Dad separated his shoulder so I have also been doing concrete today. This on top of my nephews baby shower this weekend.

Anyway I am trying to decipher and type my notes out as well, recall much from just watching the second half, It is hard to see anything but Tanith's beautiful eyes when I start thinking about it :laugh: J/K - sorta;)

To tell you the truth, it is almost exactly what DEE had in her review except falls and maybe order??? - Plushy cheated a quad.....eesh ( a few around me were commenting that it was cool he tried), I can't remember loop or lutz....acutely I don't think I could tell from where I was on the other side but it most likely would have been down graded to a 3loop (I think from what Joe, Gkelly, MM......well everyone smarter than me, was saying a little while back) but landed forward and then turned....anyhoo, more latter! - see what I mean about needing to edit my notes and brain? LOL

And I had to come back because I forgot to edit this before I posted it. More LOL, and a smack tot the head.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

There were No logos or Lines on the Ice I was so happy! The Sound at Pepsi Center (the Can) was acutely pretty good but the volume was to loud. Particularly the announcers voice. Scared the heck out of the older couple behind me. They didn't have the Ice as clean (gouge free on all levels - i.e. under top layer) as expected, it was the first and only "Ice show" or Hockey I knew of being there in a while and I just thought it would be totally fresh.:eek:hwell:

Hit the Ice Lysacek, Surya, Rudy, Maria and Gwendal, Johnny, Dan, Plushenko, Sasha, Tatiana & Max, Stephane Irina, Ben & Tanith, Shizuka, Michelle. That is what I could decipher from my crappie notes...well It will all be that way:laugh: , and I can't remember if Irina G, Vladimir or Oleksiy were in the announcing portion. I lot of Charlottes and a a few did jumps (doubles - I think Sasha singled a toe?) and everyone did spins. Ira and Sasha had a very close pass while Ira was spinning and Sasha was in a spiral. Plushy skated right up to in front of me, did the Plushy arm thing and then turned. And they did the along the boads thing with arms up, dimmed the house lights and then they started with - Everyone skated in front of me as the took the spot light. Tanith and ben stopped in front of me before going out for their solo.

Rudy and the disco chair (why they couldn't have had that nice of chair for Fumie's Carmen?:laugh: ) He threw his Fur jacket into the audience, did a handstand in the chair and I noticed a lot of make up on his face. He reminded me of Freddie Mercury. Good Jumps but 2 of them he touched Ice.

Surya B did a Cha Cha Number, I believe she did a 3l, her back flip was high and held her hands in, and a back summersault, believe a 2t was a really clean one and her Charlotte was not so great - in comparison only.

Dan did the Olympic spin where the announcer (I think it was Don Duguid) was talking as though Dan could hear him, Very funny and almost spooky how he whacked the Russian with a mop to "eliminate the competition." - very Nancy Tonya flashback for me. 3t x 2t x 2l was awesome, I felt like standing even thought the edge was way out from under him and had to catch on the first 3, but the recovery and stuck out the other 2. cool! Oh, he had a sweet back flip too, smooth landing and kept surprising speed. And had a double time footwork potion that was easily as good as Plushy's this night anyway.

Johnny did My way, and I think I would love to party with this guy. He seems like such a cool and passionate person. Almost as though he loved every move, every motion. He was definitely out there for him or more focused then any other skater I saw that night - however you decide to interpret it. He was a drama Queen as he needed to be to make the song and choreography work perfect. In the top 3 performances as far as competition quality. Only Triples, but other than that it was one of the cleanest...well there was a one hand touch that almost looked like he wouldn't have needed it as I can remember.

Tanith and Ben were next and this is where the notes start getting slim. I have never thought that someone (particularly to me being a dark hair dark eyes kinda guy) could find someone more beautiful then the "glamor shots" and where I already thought she was beautiful could be surpassed when seeing live. I would "roughly" say she is not photogenic, because she is twice as beautiful in person. She might very well have one of the most beautiful faces in this world. I heard someone say a while back she had "Classical Beauty," well there is a reason that is "classic." It will always be held as a best IMO! As far as their routine, It was "flawless except they lost some speed and I wanted a twizel! Yah BooHoo Seanibu. It looked very similar to the last in the Olys / Wds but more holds and she was in those "posses" longer. But again the speed was not consistent or really "up to speed" for all but the fist 30 seconds.

Evan Is a stud, I give him the "coolest skater" in my book. He also pointed right at me, and only wobbled and touched on one jump durring the solo. His spins were a rivalry for Ruhs (4.5 spins per second at least IMO) centering and charm out the wazoo. Made me think about my sexuality for a second:laugh: J/K - but you see what I mean. He has that "RockStar" that Evgini has but also has the boy next door charm...I mean Buddy next door.:laugh: I really like this guy. 3 and 2s and a axle pop if I am not mistaken, but a great personality conveyance that was the main goal of the show. I wished I was the one he set his boom box in front of. Tee Hee heee.:laugh: Oh yah he did a moon walk move, it was very well done with no cheese other than the move it's self.

Marina and Gwendal, were awesome!!!!!. The way they used the scarf between them and her doing a side lift of him likely longer than any of the lifts he did with her. Anyone else think he has a Robert plant look? She had one of the best dresses of the night, I am sure I have seen the style before but it was wonderful to see on the ice - and yep she is prettier in person too! Her lift of him was one of the biggest applause of the night. Their feet were so tight together and so well in time with the music. I felt lucky to watch. I think he wobbled on something, maybe he touched ice...can't remember. But I think that her performance was flawless for a "show," and that one thing of Gwendel's was the only flaw. Maria also had the scarf wrap around her eyes for a second and her hair stayed over her eyes for quite a while but it did not seem to phase her at all. Gave it one shake of the head, the hair stayed and she skated on.

Petrenko had the best choriografy of the night - kinda made me miss Oksana??. His rutine was spectacular minus the quads. Showed me how a Bunny hop shoulod be done, literaly right infront of me 31/2 feet at least (well it seemed) and he looked at the crowed:bow: His Charlotte was perfect straight but his spin at the end went a little out and slowed for an early finish to the music.

That is it for the first half.
BTW I really hate that Zamboni song, play it at Hockey games and that is enough for me.

Didn't anyone else see this show????

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Denver COI

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a good time. Did Michelle fall when she caught her toepick? Also I wasn't sure what you meant when you said Michelle jumped but did an eagle. Could you explain the jump a little? Thanks a lot.

Plushy is so fast and powerful - it really comes through seeing him in person rather than on TV.

Maureen

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MFarone said:
Did Michelle fall when she caught her toepick?
Also I wasn't sure what you meant when you said Michelle jumped but did an eagle. Could you explain the jump a little?
Plushy is so fast and powerful - it really comes through seeing him in person rather than on TV.
No, she had a great smile and skated out into a spin - transitions.

OK, my ignorance is going to reign here, I have heard it called a "Russian flying eagle" a "jump eagle" or "flying splits" and "split jump." there are most likely entrances and what portion the jump is done in the routine that designate, I didn't know that much so I just said eagle.:laugh: it was really low and maybe 90 - 110 degrees max - leg angle. But she jumped, that was cool:agree:

That is so true, he also has a great smile to go with his fantastic foot work. It amazed me when he landed forward and then just turned his foot 180 like it was nothing. Mind numbing.:cool:

I have been trying to get the rest of the show out of my memory - I wrote down the names and am adding notes as they come to mind. but it is not going to be that much for I acutely was getting a little starstruck????? I have never been that way. Plushy I had to force myself to watch his blades. Anyhoo, I am trying but there is lots going on with family and friends that keeps getting me side tracked - and I don't want to forget / confuse someone. Now I am off to install sound at a nail saloon - these odd jobs are killing my hands:p

Thanks for the great first half review, Seanibu! More, more!

MM :)

PS. Don't skimp on the Michelle details. I will help you: "At first I thought Tanith was the world's number one most beautiful lady, but then Michelle came out..." :laugh:

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Thanks for the great first half review, Seanibu! More, more!

PS. Don't skimp on the Michelle details. I will help you: "At first I thought Tanith was the world's number one most beautiful lady, but then Michelle came out..." :laugh:
Well, you can think what you want to but I think Sasha is iInnately beautiful!!! w/wo makeup.

Dee

PS But I think you're gorgeous Math w/wo makeup. :laugh: :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Second Half, half

I don't remember specific order, so I will just put them down as remembered. And please forgive me, but for example, one of the ladies had a knee brace and I can't remember who it was. sorry.

Shi-chan. I will say it again because it is a great improvement to her look - Her smile was fantastic:love: , so improved it brought a little joy to my heart and brought back good memories. It was the best performance of the night as quality and execution go. Very clean and pulled all the signature moves, I can say I saw one clean triple for sure, but there was a 2/3l x 2t x 2f I think. Anyway the combination was perfect and the speed was consistent the whole program. One of the coolest aspect for me was that she skated right at me during the spiral and when she was announced I believe her eyes got bigger for a second when I yelled "Shi-chan." Unfortunately I think I was the loudest and most often applauder for her - maybe I felt like I needed to compensate. But when she finished she was very appreciated by the crowd. One of the biggest applause of sincerity and not so much "fandom" - as in "that was a really great performance." I think everyone was aware why she was the gold at Olys. Exquisite, Gorgeous and exceedingly Professional. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ira, I really love to watch her, and live was something beyond my exspectations. There is something that really draws me into her and the way she skates, she has a lot of sex appeal but at the same time is just this cutie you just want to pinch her cheeks. I was not fond of the outfit she wore but like the fact she did some of the routine with a hat. I was bummed because the website plays OOps, by Brittany Spears, and I was hoping for that, oh well;) She did great bielmanns, way better then in the Olys or anything I saw in the past 2 years - ones like when she was 19-20. Strait legs (almost locked knees on the first spin) and good arch perfectly centered - NO "ice cream cone" during spins or spiral. I was a little perplexed at why so good tonight? Her legs were a little shaky in some portions - spiral sequence - but solid on her spins and jumps. As she skated by in the dark the first time I will have to say that may have been the first time I was truly "starstruck" - just thinking wow, that is really Irina. I can't believe I would ever have felt that way. Very strange moment for me. Her hair was so cute. So close to a Dorothy but tapered, I think that's why I want one. She really melts my heart with admiration, one of those I just like for everything they truly are.:love::bow: :love: :bow:

Sasha didn't seem so happy - had the LP look when starting - and did good jumps with very little cheat, she popped one. The GBA tune was just kinda weird and I really didn't like the plunge line on her neck, but she looks great in red. I already commented on her fall, so weird, and read up on mohawks and that was not one. She definably has more woman in her eyes then I saw back in February. but she just did not seem to be that into it. And for someone who wasn't into it, she was great. Incredibly clean lines and amazing flexibility extensions all except her Ina Bauer that was sub par for her. And now that I have seen her skate the spiral live I can say with all certainty she was NOT flat on edge change - at least this night. It was very smooth change without wobble, just as any great ones I have seen her do before. Not flat, but the lean is minute and her foot seems to tuck ever so slightly. No Sasha Spiral, holds her leg and does the 180, and 2x2x1 on a combo. The Russian splits are still the best, awesome Charlotte spin and sits really well too. And man it might not have anything to do with skating but I would love to feel how soft her hair is, it looks soooo soft.:p Anyhoo, not so inspiring but good quality and a number of my questions answered.:cool:

Stephane was spins, spins, and more spins. Very impressive how long he will spin. Every type I could imagine in just a single spinning. freaks me out how he didn't wind up carving all the ice away. I mean he must have spun for over a full minute in one spot - absolutely no travel at all. He also had one of the better Charlottes of the night. Fell on an Axle, it was weird, I don't know what happened. Great speed.:biggrin:

Tatiana and Max, I don't know what to say. They were breathtaking, and yep I held mine for "the one" was right in front of me. That is when I realized I was sitting in the same area as the one lady who peered over the boards in Pittsburgh gazing at a lifeless seeming Tatiana - I might not have ever been the same if I had to see that and the look on Max's face. As he set he down she gazed in his eyes with such a calm beauty and trust.... It was a moment in FS that I will always picture in my mind as a emotional moment. Outside of her coming down and poking him in the eye with her nose (and a no notable flinch or anything from Max and her look was fun and a great sorry smile - like she is short on those) the routine was flawless - as far as I could tell - with a couple of 3 throws and perfectly synchronized 3 by the both of them - timing seemed impeccable. Max has the loudest skates I have ever heard and would say my only draw back to him is a monotone expression during. I am sure it is most likely focus, just was odd to me how he can have a bunch of different facial expressions on his face yet it was the same one every time. Yes to picky of me but never the less it might just be the only aspect that could be improved with the "show solo." Come on, they're a gold, I have got to say something controversial. I don't think I saw the "Chinese Kick / Throw" - his leg never seemed to kick as he tossed her. Most of it seem incomprehensibly effortless even though I knew how much effort they were expelling. These 2 make me wish I was there with a lady, they really seemed so romantic :love:

Yep I am still holding out on the last 4, yah I know who you want to hear about MM:laugh: :p

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sorry I forgot about the finish of this. I was looking around old threads and as I have been waiting to get pics of my new great nephew emailed - they are to busy for me I guess. Anyway I 'spose I should just finish this to not leave the show unended. Let me whip out my "memory scribbles" and finish at least.

Irina G - I can see why she is in the show, very entertaining but Think she should have done the act in reverse order with the props. The Cube was cool, but obviously not that difficult for her. *this sounds like I have already said this???* Anyway, she pointed right in the mans face across the isle from me when he was eating a nacho and shook her finger with a No No No. *OK now I remember where I posted that info before.* She skates Flat, most likely due to all the "hooping" going on but has good strength jumping but lands pretty hard. She is a very tone lady and looks very strong. I am not really fond of any of her costume designs that I know are hers, and would assume the one she wore at COI was also one of hers. My Guess is she designed the "Rainbow sequin" ones some of the ladies wore in a group number too, just because it looked so Las Vegas. She did a back summersault (one hand down) and looked very happy tiered at the end. Good stage presents IMO. I think she should have closed the first half.

EP - Rock Star in the epitome of the term! Neat guy with exuding personality, who I think would really look better shaven. But I hear there is a superstition about that - I wonder how scruffy he was in CO Springs the next night?:laugh: I was surprised at the lack of connection to the crowd, there was some, but I really exspected more people enjoying and knowing him. Particularly the group of 10 girls in the corner 10 rows back that were screeming for Evan and MK at the end. Ah the bias American (and I can make blonde jokes too being a blonde) only cheering for the home town favs. I hollered out a couple of "Plushy"s for the guy, I think he's is awesome - especially when he isn't doing the "windmill gig.":clap: His feet are fricking incredible, so clearly defines the edge he is using and the movement is so fluid - I think of him when I am thinking of my blades skating now.:bow: He had one part of the "cross the ice" footwork that seemed like he went out of his rhythm but quickly regained it. "Soft power," is what I have written down here from weeks ago, sounds about right. No arm whipping around stuff, just used them nicely and had great posture. Very smiley and didn't look the slightest bit tiered the whole time, I have already made some comments on him so I will leave it with that - I was taken in by his skating and personality way more then I anticipated. But I still think he would have looked the part of a Heavy Metal Band Lead Guitarist. Oh, He and Ira seemed pretty much like palls in their exchange of looks and smiles. I think they seem to be friends or could possibly become friends off the ice as well. I can really picture the two couples and one baby (for now) going out for a night at the trendy restaurants. JAT:p :laugh: Ah, but alas ST. Pete or Moscow?????:laugh:

Vladimir & Oleksiy - That is one you just have to see. I have tried explaining it to friends and they always say "slow motion hunh?" or "Are you sure you aren't over exaggerating." Nope, it was Chinese acrobatic style stuff in slow mo. Freaky, Funny, Fantasmo and Pure entertainment that I would have been happy if there were 2 routines of them (first and second Half). The great points I think were the times when Oleksiy would be in this incredible acrobatic position and then just fall. The Jux of having everything go so slow with no emotion on their faces, and then Wham! This is something I had seen before in routines back when the whole family was togather for the trips to Vegas and hit Circus Circus shows, but their timing was perfect for the 2 times they did it, totally unexpected both times. The slow mo gig never got old but the box pile up took a little long being as they used the same "turn around and get a box in your belly" 4 times. It was clever how they seemed to not want to accomplish the same task at the end. Anyhoo, not supreme skating but Highly entertaining.

Kween - At first I was not as existed as I thought I was going to be. It felt more to me like "it has finally been accomplished, there she is 4 feet away in all of her beauty and gracefulness, and I have completed this part of my desire to see her live." She was quite pretty, and her smile is better in person. The flow she has was soft and elegant, like a "swan song." Good spins with great positions - and outside of the fact there were no 1s, 2, or 3s and little hop / jump she did I would have no idea she was holding back. Maybe it was the programe choice and perfectly kept speed (just constant never fluctuating). A nice elegant number that highlighted her as a lady. Dignified and kept a smile on my face throughout her solo.
The timing of the pro gave me time to remember how I first saw her in '98 and was blown away with the back scratch, energy and lively feeling she would radiate amongst the crowd - and me even though I was viewing via the tube. How I got so much crap for the "YAH! MICHELLE!"s in front of my buddies who were only watching for Bobsled and hockey results (yet I know they were at least checking out the babes on the ice even if they wouldn't say it). Not many went for beer when there was a lady on the ice although their comment would be "I am only watching this 'cause Sean likes it."
*flash forward* Here was a lady I admire for so much accomplishment, and to someone deserving. It was like poetic justice in a positive way, this was someone who deserved all that hype for all those years and delivered 99% of the time - better then anyone else that comes to mind for me and my over realistic attitude:cool: . Pure integrity. She made my eyes and smile feel bigger and bigger as I watched. Even thought all of the elements that she first introduced me to, sparking my interest in FS were not preformed that night, it was totally fulfilling to watch her. Regardless of the fact I was not as "starstruck" by her appearance, she really did make my heart - and eyes - swell with admiration - more like when I helped my niece learn to ride her bike and she went off into the distance / MK helped me and now she rides off. I am sure I am not the only one that wanted to shout out some comment of encouragement and satifaction - I thought "you have done more for me then any athlete has done to bring me joy" - but the crowed of girls in the corner with "we love you Michelle" hopefully sent the sentiment. I am not one to say I will "miss having...." to often, for most of the time I like to just be grateful that I did. Now that I reflect on her though, I wish to have another chance to see her, even if it is the same routine. I am sure I don't know everything, or truly even that much about her, but all that she is, is a Beauty that lasts for ever in the mind.:bow: :love: :bow:

EEE gad! I just read what I wrote:p , I can just imagine how sappasauris I will be when I see Fumie. Woh gush fest! I still think if she skated 4th to end, I would have been equally as satisfied in MK's performance.

The finally was great, I noted some Marry Poppins kind of take offs with the Charleston theme, a little All That Jazz in the middle and a great take on the West Side Story - snapping and coming to gather in the middle to part and have a mini solo from each like the Rumble scene in WSS. I don't know if that was the intent, but It made me more then happy. The final costumes / outfits were the best of any all night - I love how performers look in white. Enhances all the lighting and makes the individual stand out from "the outfit." The one thing I would say to change is, the "arches" - not to fandango on those things. Neat looking but they could have either been designed to be less of an obstruction or just left out. At one point Sasha was coming out of a spin and headed for the arch as though she was going to go throughout the middle and made a choice not to and went around. From the Broadway Show Choirs I was in, I noticed this threw off the timing for a moment for the entrance of TTMM was early to her position on the ice. Even though I did have a nice framed view of a few ladies and one of the guys, the arches don't float my boat. Nitpicky I know - I have got to make up for that MK gushing:p - but the arches could just go as far as I was concerned. For their "
victory lap I can't remember for sure but someone "gave me 5" and I felt like I stood much to slowly even though I think I was at least one of the first. It was just such a fulfilling evening, Like after Thanksgiving dinner. I just felt so "full."

LSS, Great show sorry for the delay on the review.

Last edited:
:clap: :rock: :bow: There's no such thing as too much sappasaurus when it comes our lovely ladies!

PS. I think "sappasaurus" :rock: is spelled with a "u". By hey -- you made it up, so your prerog! ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:agree: Well I am glad it wasn't to "gushie" for some:agree:

I agree on the spelling with a "u" like "Stegosaurus" - the dinosaur thing. I just tend to not put enough importance on spelling and grammar as I should. I remember someone asked me if English was my first language on this forum:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That still cracks me up to this day.:agree: .

I have to admit re-reading the MK does get me a little choked up, But I cry too much for a guy anyway, the end of Ice Castles gets me every time -"we forgot about the flowers.":cry: Oh and lest I forget The Princess Bride, Most Disney movies, Irina and Fumie's faces at the Olys, etc... :laugh:

Anyhoo, I hope everyone liked the full review:biggrin:

MKFSfan

Medalist
First of all, "The Princess Bride" is my all time favorite movie! Gets me everytime!

Secondly, thanks for an awesome, tearful review! I gotta admit, I scanned through much of it, but then read every word about Michelle, and it really was touching. You summed up how I feel, beautiful job! I look forward to your Fumie review, I'm sure that will make me teary eyed, too!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
COI Review

Thanks so much for finishing your review. I really enjoyed reading it. Loved what you said about Michelle :bow:

Maureen

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lovely tribute to Michelle, SeaniBu.........it made my morning.....thanks....:) 42