Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: COI in Denver

Great report-thanks so much.

"The Princess Bride!" Totally awesome flick!!!!!!

Custom Title
    First of all, "The Princess Bride" is my all time favorite movie! Gets me everytime!

Secondly, thanks for an awesome, tearful review! I gotta admit, I scanned through much of it, but then read every word about Michelle, and it really was touching. You summed up how I feel, beautiful job! I look forward to your Fumie review, I'm sure that will make me teary eyed, too!

COI Review

Thanks so much for finishing your review. I really enjoyed reading it. Loved what you said about Michelle

Maureen

Lovely tribute to Michelle, SeaniBu.........it made my morning.....thanks.... 42

Seanibut - I think what your saying about the 'flying spread eagle', is a Falling Leaf. MK does a beaut with a perfect classic split in the air.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Seanibut

Thanks for the terminology, "Flying Leaf" I am still learning how many different names there are for things that I would have always thought might have the same name. I felt like the "Russian eagle" was just a different name for the splits jump - like Free Skate and LP.

So how do I define what a Russian Eagle is, or is that one of those terms people used as their own term and I have confused it with an official term?

I should almost start putting the disclaimer at the beginning of my posts -
    "Still learning terms, feel free to correct me. It will also be appreciated."

Thanks again, and I have seen the real "Classic split" from MK, MM just put out a great pic a week or so back. I think that her and Sasha were the best at those, but I am not for sure if they were even the same thing now. ???

BTW, I can't remember if I thought this question or acutely asked it, but when did Sasha do her last "spin into spinning splits to stop in the splits position on the ice?"

You had a great idea a while back, Seanibu, to get together a glossary of skating terms for GS. Maybe someone will have the ambition to follow up on it, for the benefit of both new fans and old.

I just Googled "Michelle Kwan falling leaf" and this is what came up.

http://usfsa.org/content/events/2003...r/kwan-fs2.jpg

http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...n/kwan-fs2.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/img/photo/...EN_0140833.JPG

Her most spectacular one was in her 1998 East of Eden pro-am program, where she went directly from a split falling leaf into a change-edge spread eagle.

Here is sort of the idea (without the coe on the spread eagle) - except that in EOE I don't think there was an extra turn between the landing of the falling leaf and the spread eagle position. (?)

http://skateclass.ru/animations/spli...ad%20eagle.gif

MM

PS. BTW, this site

http://skateclass.ru/recognition.shtml

has animations of a whole gang of skating moves. It's in Russian, but you could try babblefish and see if you can figure out the official names. Here's Michael Weiss illustrating the moon walk, for instance.

http://skateclass.ru/animations/othe...ce%20steps.gif
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-13-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Wow, MM. Thanks for those MK pictures. Simply the best

I should be studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Here is sort of the idea (without the coe on the spread eagle) - except that in EOE I don't think there was an extra turn between the landing of the falling leaf and the spread eagle position. (?)

http://skateclass.ru/animations/spli...ad%20eagle.gif
    Is this link supposed to be an animated picture? I only see MK's 'better side.'
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-13-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsace View Post
    Is this link supposed to be an animated picture? I only see MK's 'better side.'
    If the gif file won't play, try clicking on this

http://skateclass.ru/recognition.shtml

then scroll down to "falling leaf" (it's about 60% down the page, just under the big chart for "jumps." There are three Michelle animations, plus Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes (an animation of the Time Magazine cover shot, LOL).

Seanibu, videos of the Russian split jump are just above the falling leaf.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post

Thanks for the terminology, "Flying Leaf" I am still learning how many different names there are for things that I would have always thought might have the same name. I felt like the "Russian eagle" was just a different name for the splits jump - like Free Skate and LP.

So how do I define what a Russian Eagle is, or is that one of those terms people used as their own term and I have confused it with an official term?

I should almost start putting the disclaimer at the beginning of my posts -
    "Still learning terms, feel free to correct me. It will also be appreciated."

Thanks again, and I have seen the real "Classic split" from MK, MM just put out a great pic a week or so back. I think that her and Sasha were the best at those, but I am not for sure if they were even the same thing now. ???

BTW, I can't remember if I thought this question or acutely asked it, but when did Sasha do her last "spin into spinning splits to stop in the splits position on the ice?"
    Seanibu - It is a Falling (Leaf) not a Flying (Leaf).

There is a big difference between the 'classic' and 'russian' splits. While Sasha tends to do the Russian split, I am sure she could also do the Classic split.

The Classic is more difficult because the center of gravity is directly on the ice (or floor in dance) while the Russian which thrusts out the fanny, has the center of gravity a bit askew. Male skaters tend to do the russian split. It's a crowd pleaser. They get high and are able to look directly at the audience. It sells!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Seanibu - It is a Falling (Leaf) not a Flying (Leaf).
    Sorry, I should have had the LOL next to that. I was still kinda of giggling at the fact I was "Sean ee Butt" It's still cracking me up. I should realize I am just not capable of being funny as I think sometimes.

Anyhoo, I thank you guys sooo much for your clarifications all the time. That is great to know as far as the difference between the two.

Does the arms position have anything to do with the "designations?" I will start deciphering the Skate Class site too.

Well, what MK did at COI looked rather short of any of the wonderful pictures, more like a "Floating Leaf" It was more of a hop and as I remember it had a turn as well - facing inside, turn, and the hop, then was facing the boards before she went into a spin. Allot like the .gif but she went into the corner for the spin.

I will try to "get with the program" for you all, I probably makes things pretty confusing when I use the wrong "Name" for elements and such. Thanks MM for the link to the definitions with animations!!!!!! That is something I have been looking for but wind up finding definitions like the "Russian Eagle." And never animations except a few on the NBC OLY site pertaining to jumps. They also had a list but not nearly covering everything. I could also be a little less shy at the rinks and start asking questions too.

Thanks again everyone, I will start spending less time posting and more time learning - particularly now that I have better tools thanks to you. It should also help me get the "real time Score board" at Demo quality. Music is almost done (Lori really changed allot in the songs re-editing), but the "work stuff" gets in the way of what I want to do. It might sound weird, but this forum can sometimes be the best stress relief and escape I have - a load of Family BS for months now.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 08-13-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You had a great idea a while back, Seanibu, to get together a glossary of skating terms for GS. Maybe someone will have the ambition to follow up on it, for the benefit of both new fans and old.
    Maybe I should do that as an educational experience for me. It might mean a lot of proof reading from others though.

Or was that a hint that I need to get educated?

Custom Title
    Maybe we should start a thread to brainstorm which terms should be included and then we can work on putting it together. If we start with a list of terms we can break up the work and have everyone make sure we aren't forgetting anthing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast