Cinquanta Re-Elected as President of the ISU | Golden Skate

Cinquanta Re-Elected as President of the ISU

Yes, actually this was reported about three weeks ago. Cinquanta ran unopposed and was re-elected by acclamation.

Most interesting to me is that on each of the two all-powerful technical committees (figure skating and ice dance) two of the four members are from Russia and Italy (including both committee chairmen).

Fabio Bianchetti is the Italian representative on the figure skating technical committee. Evidently he does not share the views of his mother Sonia about how corrupt the ISU leadership is.

I see that Phyllis Howard was re-elected to the Council. Conspiracy theorists suspect that she was given this plum as a reward for throwing Jackson and Pfenning to the wolves over the WSF fiasco.

And so it goes...

MM :)

Who would run against him? Does the job pay much? I think living in Lausanne would be nice and easy living.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I heard that no one ran against him, and that's part of the reason he's still there. Why? I don't know.

John King

Final Flight
I know this is trivial,but......

How is his family name pronounced,is it Sinquata,Chinquata or Kinquata?I've heard commentators use all three at different times.

EOIskating

Spectator
John King said:
How is his family name pronounced,is it Sinquata,Chinquata or Kinquata?I've heard commentators use all three at different times.

It is pronounced "Chinkwanta". Cinquanta is actually Italian for the number 50.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Jhar55 said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Johnny guess we can fill in any words we like :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Feel free. Thought it best to go with the "edited version" as the "undedited version" is simply NOT appropriate for this board and would probably get me banned....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
When is that man going to step down?! :frown2:

My guess is he won't. He's on a power trip. We have to hope that he'll do something so bad that the ISU will have no choice but to remove him. Here's hoping that happens sooner, rather than later.

She was involved with the World Skating Federation.

As the International Sports Court (or whatever it's called) ruled on appeal earlier this year, if you attempt a revolution and fail, you are at the mercy of the victors.

Mathman said:
She tried. In 2003 the ISU banned her for life from holding any ISU position.
What was their reason for banning her? Was this before she was part of the WFS?

If this was after the WFS, then why would she even think of running for Prez?

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What was their reason for banning her? Was this before she was part of the WFS?

If this was after the WFS, then why would she even think of running for Prez?

Joe

I thought, and i might be wrong, that Stapleford was banned for life for whistleblowing since she was the one who reported on the Legougne confession in SLC. I thought that that was what all the controversy was at the time that the whistelblowers got life and the cheaters got a wrap on the knuckles and a couple of seasons ban. On the back of that i think someone tried to appeal the ban for the whistleblowers and that failed so then they all joined in with the WSF and challenged the ISU...but failed again.

Such is the dictatorship of the ISU.

Ant

Ant - Yes, it is a horrible story regarding Stapleford, a skater and lover of skating to be prevented from participating in her sport for life. But did she ever run for Prez? I don't recall her challenging Speedy before or after whistleblowing.

I kind of like to see her run and win.

Joe