Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Death Threats for Johnny

Yep It's me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver
    About this being a more gay-friendly climate than in Galindo's day, I think that's only partially true. The debates over gay marriage in Congress and the Episcopal/Anglican church have led to a new level of polarization. It seems like a climate where anti-gay attacks would increase.
    I don't agree. I think that the fact that these things are finally being discussed prove that it's a more open climate.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Hope you're right!

According to an interview with Angela Lansbury whom every loves, she has to pay a high insurance premium on her life because she is a celebrity. Now no one has it in for Ms Lansbury but the insurance company insists there's always someone out to get a celebrity for whatever reasons.

I still consider Johnny's worry about death threats a little bit over the top. If someone was going to kill him, they wouldn't warn him first. Think Monica Seles.
    I also don't think this has any gay overtones.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate
    Dunno about Oksana, but wasn't Kwan being monitored by the FBI in Paris during one Lalique? (Or was it the first Champions series final? ) She'd gotten some pretty ropey fan mail I believe at the time.
    You remember correctly. It was Champion series final in France.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...%2c%20Michelle

I believe Johnny, like many celebrities or athletes, recieves hate mail. But he's not a household name. So I'm inclined to agree with those that think that the threats are not from casual viewers of figure skating that just watch during the Olympics and are anti-gay. I think it's coming from within skating echelons. Just a guess on my part.

And I was skeptical at first. Johnny is so open about the minutiae of his life and revels in his candor, that it doesn't make sense for him to mention it in a random interview. But then, it makes no no sense for him to exaggerate it.

Medalist
    Remember, reporters can spin/write an article any way they want to. Possibly the reporter asked Johnny one of those lovely questions like "How did you feel about losing the gold for America?" and Johnny mentioned the death threats, and the reporter took it and ran with it.

Similarly, maybe s/he asked Johnny if his parents' number was listed.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho
    During the Olympics, some right-wing nut posted an article how Johnny is anti-troops ([color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]?!) and other nonsense like that. She encouraged her followers to send him hate mail. I am not in the least surprised about this news. Don't underestimate the lunatics.
    ok one, how do you know this person's political leanings? Why is it that anyone who is "anti-Johnny" is considered a right winger? just because Johnny said it, it doesn't make it true

I want to know why the article is just now getting out, why is it such a big deal now? Because it's still happening? As others have pointed out, he's not the only one out there who has gotten nasty mail. Everyone in the public eye does.

I am not calling him a liar, and I'm sure it is annoying, frustrating, heartbreaking etc... I just want to know how "I hope your plane crashes" is considered a death threat. If the person had said "I am making sure you plane crashes" or soemthing like that I could understand...

I think this is the press, and not really Johnny, who's making the big deal about this whole thing. Apparently the author was bored with the typical skating article that they were given to write and went with something 'new'.

Rinkside
    I want to know why the article is just now getting out, why is it such a big deal now? Because it's still happening? As others have pointed out, he's not the only one out there who has gotten nasty mail. Everyone in the public eye does.
    Because Kathy Griffin mentioned it in her blog last Wednesday. That's the kind of thing that gets the attention of the press. So they called him and asked him about it, he answered, (it doesn't sound like he actually said much about it), and they spun it into an article. And then lots of other papers picked the item up. It's the kind of juicy thing they like.

I think this is the press, and not really Johnny, who's making the big deal about this whole thing. Apparently the author was bored with the typical skating article that they were given to write and went with something 'new'.
    Exactly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    ok one, how do you know this person's political leanings? Why is it that anyone who is "anti-Johnny" is considered a right winger? just because Johnny said it, it doesn't make it true .
    errrrrm.... because she specified that she was a republican and she was asking her republican supporters to send him hate mail.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-24-2006 at 02:18 PM.

errrrrm.... because she specified that she was a republican and she was asking her republican supporters to send him hate mail.
    Johnny Weir is out to bring down America. Republicans know!

well that's different... lol... I apologise for jumping... it just really annoys me that political leanings should have anything to do with what sports/athletes one can enjoy

Custom Title
    While I think Johnny should have reported the threats, I can see why he didn't make a more public issue of them. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are getting some stupid hate mail, or if it's a real threat. After all the heat Johnny got for being "too outspoken," I think Johnny is an awkard place. He's kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't." I think Johnny loves attention, but I don't think he's the kind of guy that seeks out drama just for the sake of it.

That being said, I think Johnny has learned a lot, and I think he's getting a sense of how to be himself on camera. He has a lot of personality, and knows how to play it up. I liked Johnny's appearance on Kathy Griffin's show.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    The part about Michelle still receiving treatment was more disturbing than the 2010 speculation.
    Many athletes receive treatment/therapy of some sort quite often, especially if they're dealing with an injury.

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Johnny Weir is out to bring down America. Republicans know!
    If you like Johnny's skating, the terrorists have won.

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    The part about Michelle still receiving treatment was more disturbing than the 2010 speculation.
    In a very recent article, Michelle said that her injury is healing well and only bothers her from time to time now. I would assume that as long as she skates in some capacity, she will always receive therapy on her hip and groin area as prevention for further injury. She also needs to keep up her strength in those areas, which therapy will help.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    It was, but it probably had to do with her boyfriend. He actually was murdered.
    I know, that was awful.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast