Death Threats for Johnny | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Death Threats for Johnny

BittyBug

On the Ice
I think we may have to petition Mieze to bring back her Reading Comprehension course. Let's review:

- the term "death threat" originated with Kathy Griffin, not Johnny
- Johnny is not quoted anywhere using the term "threat"
- Johnny spoke openly about the hate mail in his post-Olympic journal
- there is nothing new here other than the press trying to spin a story (and hey, that's hardly new either :laugh: )

But please, let's not allow facts to impede such a lively discussion - carry on. ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
BittyBug said:
But please, let's not allow facts to impede such a lively discussion - carry on. ;)
:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the Facts. That is always nice to know. I guess we could all just use the comps for finding the answers our selves - but where is the fun in that?:biggrin:

Now do you have any facts to clarify this "Party the night before the LP?"

Norlite

On the Ice
BittyBug said:
I think we may have to petition Mieze to bring back her Reading Comprehension course. Let's review:

- the term "death threat" originated with Kathy Griffin, not Johnny
- Johnny is not quoted anywhere using the term "threat"
- Johnny spoke openly about the hate mail in his post-Olympic journal
- there is nothing new here other than the press trying to spin a story (and hey, that's hardly new either :laugh: )

There goes BittyBug being all sensible again. :yes:

Suzy said:
I thought he looked as if he had a hang over at the Olympics free program. Too much partying with the Russians the night before. Let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson.

antmanb said:
This is the first time i've heard this! Where did you hear that?!?!

Ant

This is how rumors get started.

R

riverflows

There was an article in an NY newpaper about him hanging out in the Russian party house, but that was after he had skated in the long program.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
antmanb said:
To be fair i think the internet was going pretty strong by 1996 and the time of Rudy's Nationals success and world medal. It may not be the medium it is now but still information could easily be found on the interent. ...
Ant

While information might have been available on the internet in 1996, it did not provide the "shield of anonymity" that allows people to send all sorts of things (everything from scams to hate mail) while their identities remained hidden.

chelseamp

Rinkside
Matryeshka said:
. On the other hand, it's Johnny Weir, and he is a bit fond of the drama, and I just can't quite take anything he says seriously.

Lol, by the same token, let's not take anything he hasn't said seriously either.

Matryeshka

Rinkside
BittyBug--how could you!! You RUINED everything.

As a side note, usually I am good at Reading Comprehension--I was a little too eager to jump on the Bad Johnny bandwagon. (Imagine the slink away smilie here). I'm so glad there's not a big giant OOOOPS that pops up in bright neon lights everytime you make a bad post.

Oh well. To get this thread back on track: My best friend's second cousin's dog's babysitter's adopted left handed red headed stepbrother's son's girlfriend's cat's human servant's sister reported on her myspace that Johnny Weir has in fact received several tickets from the Fashion Police, and if he doesn't comply, they're going to make Santino design every single outfit he wears from now till 2010.

Discuss.

BittyBug

On the Ice
Are you sure about Santino? Because Santino = feathers, and Johnny was already a swan last year. ;)

R

riverflows

Matryeshka said:
Oh well. To get this thread back on track: My best friend's second cousin's dog's babysitter's adopted left handed red headed stepbrother's son's girlfriend's cat's human servant's sister reported on her myspace that Johnny Weir has in fact received several tickets from the Fashion Police, and if he doesn't comply, they're going to make Santino design every single outfit he wears from now till 2010.

Discuss.

:rofl:

Reuven

Rinkside
Matryeshka said:
BittyBug--how could you!! You RUINED everything.

As a side note, usually I am good at Reading Comprehension--I was a little too eager to jump on the Bad Johnny bandwagon. (Imagine the slink away smilie here). I'm so glad there's not a big giant OOOOPS that pops up in bright neon lights everytime you make a bad post.

Discuss.
I thought it was Vincent...and he was designing...headbands.:eek:

Matryeshka

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Oh well, you can't believe anything a left-handed person says!

HEY! Watch that stuff about lefties!!! We're not ALL the lying children of Satan, you know. OK, well sure, most of us are, but there are a few exceptions. Are you saying you DON'T believe me when I say Santino is designing Johnny's outfits? Or that red is Marina Anissina's natural haiir color? Or that I have waterfront property in Arizona? Or that I'm secretly Brandon Routh's wittle wuv bunny?

O, the humanity!!!!

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Matryeshka said:

I heard the same thing but I think that it was just Johnny and the Russians trying to get more publicity and possibly make everyone else write with their left hands as well.

BittyBug said:
Are you sure about Santino? Because Santino = feathers, and Johnny was already a swan last year.

Well, come on. There are so many other birds that Johnny hasn't explored. Doves, turkies, geese, ducks, chickens.
And I think you are underestimating Santino's versatility. I think Sequins and Fur are well within his range as well.

I have learned from this thread that sensible ideas will be ignored unless presented with bullet points. I will try to do better next time.

ETA: It was late when I wrote this and there were some type-os and stuff. Now it makes sense.

Last edited:

tully

Rinkside
i've read some COI reviews mentioning johnny being 'standoffish' in the meet-and-greet....i guess it makes that much more sense now

i bet the collins' are not pleased about the late disclosure-- i wonder if johnny has done his last meet and greet

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
terisalyn said:
I don't see the people who sent the hate mail jumping forward to tell us their reasons for sending it. However, other athletes were expected to do better than they did at the Olympics, and I don't recall hearing that they got hate mail.

You are correct. Emanuel Sandhu did not do that well at the Olympics, but pulled himself back up to the top at the Worlds. Candadian fans told him they were still proud of his efforts at the Olympics.

flutterby1145

Rinkside
tully said:
i've read some COI reviews mentioning johnny being 'standoffish' in the meet-and-greet....i guess it makes that much more sense now

i bet the collins' are not pleased about the late disclosure-- i wonder if johnny has done his last meet and greet

Johnny was actually really sweet when I met him. About the threats, I hate to think someone would actually lie about recieving death threats (or any kind of threats for that matter) just to get an extra 15 minutes of fame. Honestly, I don't think he's lying.

If he is getting hate mail or death threats for not winning a medal in Torino (and for that reason alone) then lots of other athletes would be getting hate mail or death threats. I think that since Rudy has never recieved any death threats or hate mail, we can rule out Johnny's sexual orientation/ preferences as being the cause. Johnny does ruffle a lot of feathers (not mine) with some of the things he says and does. Especially at the Olympics with all that "my critics can eat it" and the USSR jacket stuff. Personally I have never understood why people got so offend by him wearing a USSR jacket. Especially since the Soviet Union is a country that has not existed for nearly 15 years.

I don't think "I hope your plane crashes" or "I wish you son would drop dead" are actual threats, that's just plain hateful. Whereas, 'I will make sure your planes crashes' or 'I will make sure your son drops dead' are actual threats. Either one of these situation is certainly more than enough to make someone feel scared and uncomfortable. Whether or not what Johnny is recieving are actual threats or just plan hatefulness, the matter should not be taken lightly.

If i were Johnny's mother, I would be getting my phone number unlisted and changed as soon as possible. I feel bad for Johnny, because no one deserves to have to go through stuff like that. But unfortunately they do.

There are Those Who Threat by mail, and there are Those Who Stalk

Which of the two would you worry most about?

Joe

chelseamp

Rinkside
flutterby1145 said:
Johnny was actually really sweet when I met him. About the threats, I hate to think someone would actually lie about recieving death threats (or any kind of threats for that matter) just to get an extra 15 minutes of fame. Honestly, I don't think he's lying.

I really wish people would read the whole thread before posting. Johnny hasn't been quoted anywhere saying these were 'death threats'. Kathy Griffin said it, and three newspaper articles said it, (two put it in headlines, which should tell you something) but nowhere have I seen that phrase attributed to Johnny with quotation marks around it. To be obtuse, that would look something like this: "I got death threats after the Olympics" said Johnny Weir.

If he is getting hate mail or death threats for not winning a medal in Torino (and for that reason alone) then lots of other athletes would be getting hate mail or death threats. I think that since Rudy has never recieved any death threats or hate mail, we can rule out Johnny's sexual orientation/ preferences as being the cause.

Bode Miller got plenty of hate mail after the Olys. The comments he received were very similar to Johnny's; he was told he was a 'disgrace to his country' etc, so much so that he shut down the e-mail from his fan site. The only difference was that Miller was not excorciated in homophobic language in the press or in the e-mails/letters or what have you. Johnny journaled about it here in the 2nd to last paragraph. http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/journal.html . When one is called a f****t, a queer, etc, repeatedly, one can make a solid assumption that sexual orientation is an issue for whomever used this terminology.

If anyone wants to read a great article that puts a spotlight on the role of the press in coverage of Johnny, go here:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/olympics/cst-cont-weir19.html
I personally was stunned at some of the language used by the press in covering Johnny during the Olympics, which I think fanned the flames for some of the response he personally got from the public. I'm glad Kevin Nance, who wrote the article above, bothered to point this out.