Death Threats for Johnny | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Death Threats for Johnny

K-Mo

On the Ice
While I think Johnny should have reported the threats, I can see why he didn't make a more public issue of them. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are getting some stupid hate mail, or if it's a real threat. After all the heat Johnny got for being "too outspoken," I think Johnny is an awkard place. He's kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't." I think Johnny loves attention, but I don't think he's the kind of guy that seeks out drama just for the sake of it.

That being said, I think Johnny has learned a lot, and I think he's getting a sense of how to be himself on camera. He has a lot of personality, and knows how to play it up. I liked Johnny's appearance on Kathy Griffin's show.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alsace said:
The part about Michelle still receiving treatment was more disturbing than the 2010 speculation.

Many athletes receive treatment/therapy of some sort quite often, especially if they're dealing with an injury.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Alsace said:
The part about Michelle still receiving treatment was more disturbing than the 2010 speculation.
In a very recent article, Michelle said that her injury is healing well and only bothers her from time to time now. I would assume that as long as she skates in some capacity, she will always receive therapy on her hip and groin area as prevention for further injury. She also needs to keep up her strength in those areas, which therapy will help.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I agree with what someone said about the Rebecca Shaeffer case(My sister Sam). There's probably not only people who hate him, but are obsessed with him to an unhealthy degree, and you never know what someone like that will do.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Hate to say it, but I think Johnny is exaggerating. Story doesn't make any sense. If he really had received true threats, I would hope he would go immediately to the authorities.

Johnny exasperates me. Great skater, but very immature for 21.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
StillBlueLake said:
Well I hope he starts acting his age very soon!

Even though I am obviously a huge fan of his, I agree. I think he has made great strides since the Olympics though. I hope so. I was pleased that he actually seemed happy in the pictures and reports from Japan. He has so much talent. Perhaps his future is in fashion design, but I hope he can focus enough on skating for the next few seasons in order to show us what he can do. Stop the self-defeating behaviors off and on the ice I also hope that he listens to the experts regarding music choices. IMO his switch to the awful Mvirca mess helped to seal his fate last season. He looked lost on the ice before the music even started. The poor kid might as well have been skating to "I'm a Little Teapot"

Lucy25 said:
In a very recent article, Michelle said that her injury is healing well and only bothers her from time to time now. I would assume that as long as she skates in some capacity, she will always receive therapy on her hip and groin area as prevention for further injury. She also needs to keep up her strength in those areas, which therapy will help.
Constant therapy! This sounds like her competitive career is over.

April

Rinkside
psycho said:
During the Olympics, some right-wing nut posted an article how Johnny is anti-troops (WTF?!) and other nonsense like that. She encouraged her followers to send him hate mail. I am not in the least surprised about this news. Don't underestimate the lunatics.

I agree. JWeir's opinion of the war may be the reason for the threats. I do believe Johnny's more "anti-president" than troops. This is really horrible and strange, b/c this maniacs are still after him. This is the off season too. At last, I'm banking the death threats are coming from Pro-war freaks.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Misplaced Gymnast said:
Similarly, maybe s/he asked Johnny if his parents' number was listed.

This article does not even say that Johnny said his parents number was listed. The author could have simply looked Johnny's parents up on whitepages.com and found them. It's pretty easy to do considering that many articles mention that Johnny's father's name is John and his ISU Bio says where he lives.

From this article I don't think that it can be concluded that Johnny said much of anything. He doesn't say that he is recieving death threats, he says he's recieving hate mail. The article says he's recieving death threats. It's all about spin.

Editied for spelling.

Last edited:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Last edited:

chelseamp

Rinkside
Sigh. Yes, it was Kathy Griffin's wording the papers picked up on. I wrote Bravo when it came out in regards to the 'one of my gays comment' and it's still up, so she must have his permission to refer to him this way because otherwise I'm sure they would pull it for legal reasons.

Here's the link to the Malkin blog about Johnny from just after his Olympic performance. This was linked all over the internet in trackbacks. http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004599.htm

She's supposedly the 'most read blogger on the internet' so I'm sure her minions snapped to attention after reading this. They didn't have to go far, because click on his name and viola, there you are at his fan site. Quite a few blogs that wrote about him during this time posted hot links to his fan site and certainly that is where alot of the hate e-mails came from.

I disagree that this is a more open climate for gays now. I think Rudy came out in a much more open climate. It seems more conservative to me now. Rudy came out pre-internet too.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Johnny is exaggerating the death threats. He has been very open about the hate mail and no doubt he received a lot of "hope you drop dead" letters. His death threats are as serious as the "death threats" I get from FSU members when they give me negative rep.

I personally think that Johnny is targeted with strong reaction because he does so many things to incite strong reaction. Like wearing his jacket, making comments about how he wants to be himself and doesn't care etc. He likes the attention and courts it; however when things don't work out it blows up in his face and he can't take it. If you want attention, you have to take the good with the bad. Johnny was the most visible member of the US team at this year's Olympics. He did a lot of fluff pieces and he was very funny most of the time and at other times he seemed quite full of himself.

Lanie

On the Ice
Johnny says/does things that are inappropriate for someone representing their country at the Olympic Games. I do think these "death threats" could be exaggerated, probably more like very negative comments. Wearing the USSR jacket wasn't exactly smart during the Olympic Games, it ruffled many feathers, mine included. He was, IMO, not being a good ambassador of his country in mannerisms/behavior though he certainly is with his skating. But behavior counts more than what he does out there on the ice at the Olympics.

BTW: I hope you all realize your "pro war freaks" and "maniacs" comments and crap like that just really makes you guys look immature. I'm a Republican. I voted for Bush. OMG!!! And, gasp, I like Johnny's skating. Johnny needs to learn he can say most things and get away with it but as a representative of the USA at the Olympic Games it's another story.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
chelseamp said:
I disagree that this is a more open climate for gays now. I think Rudy came out in a much more open climate. It seems more conservative to me now. Rudy came out pre-internet too.

Acutely I have to say I believe it to be his attitude - Johnny - that drives the stupid hate toward him. I do think there was that time more open to homosexuality than any time prior to that, that Rudy hit on, but Johnny doesn't give a **** about your opinion where Rudy "seemed" like he would have done something to try and help you understand. Both are right to do what they want with that attention IMO, but Johnny tapped into the, "I like Russia better" with some of his comments and that it think was the biggest catalyst for some of the stupid hate that is happening.

IMHO, I like the world better and if it is from a country that is the country I comment on regardless of my true convictions - I speak my mind.
That is an attitude that scares people, and scared people are the type to threaten.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Lanie said:
BTW: I hope you all realize your "pro war freaks" and "maniacs" comments and crap like that just really makes you guys look immature. I'm a Republican. I voted for Bush. OMG!!! And, gasp, I like Johnny's skating. Johnny needs to learn he can say most things and get away with it but as a representative of the USA at the Olympic Games it's another story.

ITA, thanks, Lanie. :)