Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Death Threats for Johnny

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    Well, Rudy wasn't national champion competing at the Olympics, either. So he wasn't as widely publicized.
    When Rudy was a "big name" (after winning Nats), public interest in skating was at an all time high, whereas the ratings for Torino were at an all time low. IMO, two factors exist now that didn't exist ten years ago (a) the internet, which provides a shield of anonymity and (b) a climate where certain behavior towards certain classes of people is more socially tolerated than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    Maria B. had some problems, too. Wasn't her car bombed?
    It was, but it probably had to do with her boyfriend. He actually was murdered.

The article makes it seem like the hatred was brought about by the fact that he didn't win a medal at the Olympics.

"I was second place," Weir said of the Olympic short program. "I was going to win a medal for my country . . . Then when I lost it, everyone turned."

To me, that's absurd. Are we to suppose that the crazies out there are just such intense American patriots that they want to commit mayhem to avenge their national honor?

On the other hand if it is run-of-the-mill homophobia, why Johnny? Are there that many redneck good ol' boys who follow men's figure skating looking for someone to vent their spleen on?

Custom Title
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy it. Johnny always has a reason for not skating well - this time, death threats. :sheesh:

I used to really like him, but he's developed into a bit of a whiner.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    The fact that his parents' number is listed is public information. The article did not state that Johnny gave them this information.
    Huh????????????

We all know now that his parents number is listed. He just said so..........he didn't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    On the other hand if it is run-of-the-mill homophobia, why Johnny? Are there that many redneck good ol' boys who follow men's figure skating looking for someone to vent their spleen on?
    Responding to Math's comment.

I don't wish Johnny any harm whatsoever but this is really kind of absurd.

Dee

Mathman, that was my thought too. I don't think the "climate" is more repressive than 1996. If anything, I would think the contrary. I also wouldn't think that many anti-Johnny types would even be aware of him. There have been many Olympic disappointments over the years and many of them were more highly publicized sports than figure skating. That said, any figure who gets any press at all can attract a lunatic fringe and that is always awful. The actress who played in "My sister Sam" was hardly a major player, but she got the attention of the wrong person.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dfj
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy it. Johnny always has a reason for not skating well - this time, death threats. :sheesh:

I used to really like him, but he's developed into a bit of a whiner.
    I certainly believe it, and not just because I'm his fan. I don't think it was from the general public, I think it was from many of the socalled fans that post on the boards. There are some really sick people out there. Check out the Michelle vs Irina vs Sasha threads. I've gotten death threats from a very sick poster in rep comments. How much more likely is someone like Johnny to become a target?

I definitely believe that Johnny got a lot of nasty calls and emails - there are lots of screwed up angry people who think that their opinion over an event they participate in only by watching is somehow relevant. I can also believe (although I think it's disgusting) that someone told Johnny "I hope your plane crashes". But that's not the same as an actual death threat. A death threat would be "I'm coming for you", or "Your plane WILL crash on the way to Worlds". If Johnny did get these types of threats during or right after Olys, I would think and hope he'd have mentioned it to SOMEONE.

I do hope his parents get a private number - I was shocked to have the article spell out that their # is currently listed.

Tripping on the Podium
    Wouldn't his parents' number be found in the local phonebook? I mean, this personal stuff is always available somewhere. I don't think he was giving away any big secret by saying that.
    And for all we know, his parents HAVE changed their number.

I do think it's a little strange that he just decided to talk about this now. Maybe he was afraid people would think it was an excuse for not skating well at Worlds. And after he got all the crap for supposedly making in excuses in Torino, that wouldn't be surprising.
    But anyways, if he said that he received death threats, then I believe it. He hasn't ever lied about anything to the press as far as I know, so I don't see why he would make this up.

Custom Title
    I don't know that he meant to let this death threat information out there. I think this information was put out by Kathy Griffin in her Blog. That is the first place I saw it. The recent article may have picked up on that. Johnny might have been having what he thought was a private conversation with her and it ended up in the blog. She also called him one of her Gays. I doubt that he gave her that information for publication either
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 07-24-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    I wonder why his parents didn't report the threats. I would if it were my (adult) kid and he hadn't taken the initiative.

Oh, and OT: The blurb at the bottom:
    Kwan has not said whether she will compete in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia.
    Well, that would depend on how she skates at 2010 Nats.
    Oh wait.

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by guinevere
    I definitely believe that Johnny got a lot of nasty calls and emails - there are lots of screwed up angry people who think that their opinion over an event they participate in only by watching is somehow relevant. I can also believe (although I think it's disgusting) that someone told Johnny "I hope your plane crashes". But that's not the same as an actual death threat. A death threat would be "I'm coming for you", or "Your plane WILL crash on the way to Worlds". If Johnny did get these types of threats during or right after Olys, I would think and hope he'd have mentioned it to SOMEONE.
    I agree. While we don't know what other types of comments Johnny received, I wouldn't characeterize the examples cited as threats, vile though they may be, because there is no implied action or consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by dfj
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy it. Johnny always has a reason for not skating well - this time, death threats.
    You might have a point if Johnny had disclosed this stuff before he skated, but it's only coming out now, so what exactly is he making an excuse for? A bad hair day?

I should be studying!
    The part about Michelle still receiving treatment was more disturbing than the 2010 speculation.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    About this being a more gay-friendly climate than in Galindo's day, I think that's only partially true. The debates over gay marriage in Congress and the Episcopal/Anglican church have led to a new level of polarization. It seems like a climate where anti-gay attacks would increase.

Custom Title
    During the Olympics, some right-wing nut posted an article how Johnny is anti-troops ([color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]?!) and other nonsense like that. She encouraged her followers to send him hate mail. I am not in the least surprised about this news. Don't underestimate the lunatics.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast