Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Death Threats for Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by RoaringMice
    Although Johnny is known to be dramatic, I feel there is truth to what he said. I know of several athletes who, when their performance didn't measure up to a fan's standards, received threats and etc. The article mentions Apollo Ohno. I also remember a (Brazilian?) football player who was killed when he returned to his country after failing in an international.

I also know of many people who receive threats and who never report them. Some feel that they can deal with them on their own, that those making the threats aren't truly serious. There are lots of potential reasons for not reporting. I do wish he had done, though, because it would be easier to stop it if it had been reported from the start.

Someone else mentioned Rudy Galindo, and that he didn't receive threats. One of the major differences between Rudy and Johnny, in addition to those that others have mentioned, is the accessibility of the Internet and public records now. The Internet, and the anonymity it seems to offer, sometimes makes people say things that they'd never say in person or in a real letter. It also makes info like Johnny's parent's phone number much easier to get. The Internet really wasn't as much of a force during Rudy's time.
    I think it was the Columbian football team and i think it was reportedly a couple of players who were killed following the world cup, i think, around 8 years ago.

To be fair i think the internet was going pretty strong by 1996 and the time of Rudy's Nationals success and world medal. It may not be the medium it is now but still information could easily be found on the interent. I think the main difference was that Rudy was never skating at an Olympics with a medal in his grasp. His world bronze was considered an amazing feat and one that he deserved, but one that he skated lights out to get. Johnny was someone who was sat in second after the SP at the Olympics and being very vocal at the Olympics providing reporters and the public with funny non-PC/non-skating fluff sound bites who then failed to deliver the quality of skating required to win a medal and dropped off the podium. In that respect i don't see how their situations are similar save the fact that both are, in the words of Cher, "flamboyant gentlemen"!

Ant

Custom Title
    Johnny would do himself a world of good if he fired his costume designer, that's for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    But is THAT the reson for the threats? I do not think it is clear what the reason is for the threats. There are several different speculations.
    That was my thought as well, not sure what prompted these "threats" to come Johnny's way. Anyway you look at it people can be really ridiculous.

As far as the "Russia house party" the night before, this is something I heard of as well. I thought the press (once again) was over exaggerating by throwing the word "party" in the mix - more likely a get-together or say hi and be friendly with competitors. But there were several comments made during the games that he was spending more time over in the Russian dorm area then in the USA. I vaguely remember them also saying that he was there for most of the night - the night before the LP but did sleep in his room after coming home as some might say "late." But sleeping the night before that might have been difficult any way. I have seen "party pictures" of him that were "supposedly" in the "Russia housing" and there were "drinks" in hand. Anything beyond that would be speculation. I really doubt anyone would be that stupid as to get toasted the night before the big event. I manly recall that he was getting a little "shop-aholic" with the stores, but can you blame him It's Italy. People are sensationalists sometimes, I fall guilty to that at times myself.

Rinkside
    Ye skating gods. You KNOW your image needs some polishing up when you get death threats and even some of your supporters start wondering if they're real.......I hear Tom Cruise's former agent is available.

As for the threats, I'm just as bad as everyone else. If he had said something right after the Games, I would have totally believed him, because people are insane, and no sport seems to bring out the crazy in the Winter Games than figure skating. But saying it five months after the fact makes me a bit suspicious. I have three theories, only one of them vaguely supportive-- something new happened and he wants to give his fans a reason why they might not be able to see him personally/get his autograph after a performance (which if you think they're real, surely he'll be spirited away or heavily guarded), he's setting up reasons early for poor performances (let's face it--death threats are WAY more interesting than bad ice), or more likely he's exaggerating a few less than complimentary emails/letters in order to call attention to himself.

In some ways, I really hate that I doubt his statements, because it's such a serious matter and death threats should never be taken lightly. On the other hand, it's Johnny Weir, and he is a bit fond of the drama, and I just can't quite take anything he says seriously.

In love with the axel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    BTW: I hope you all realize your "pro war freaks" and "maniacs" comments and crap like that just really makes you guys look immature. I'm a Republican. I voted for Bush. OMG!!! And, gasp, I like Johnny's skating. Johnny needs to learn he can say most things and get away with it but as a representative of the USA at the Olympic Games it's another story.
    I am Republican too, and I voted for Bush too, and I like Johnny too. I agree that name calling only makes the name-caller look bad.

However, you must admit that there are some pretty outlandish people on the far right fringe of our party, just like there are some pretty strange people on the far left of the Dem party. It would not surprise me in the least if some of the hate mail came from people on the right fringe.

Re the death threats -- isn't it only the blog and the article that specifically called them "death threats". Everywhere else I've seen the term "hate mail" used.

On my best behavior
    I think we may have to petition Mieze to bring back her Reading Comprehension course. Let's review:

- the term "death threat" originated with Kathy Griffin, not Johnny
    - Johnny is not quoted anywhere using the term "threat"
    - Johnny spoke openly about the hate mail in his post-Olympic journal
    - there is nothing new here other than the press trying to spin a story (and hey, that's hardly new either )

But please, let's not allow facts to impede such a lively discussion - carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug

But please, let's not allow facts to impede such a lively discussion - carry on.

Thanks for the Facts. That is always nice to know. I guess we could all just use the comps for finding the answers our selves - but where is the fun in that?

Now do you have any facts to clarify this "Party the night before the LP?"

Yep It's me!
    I think we may have to petition Mieze to bring back her Reading Comprehension course. Let's review:

- the term "death threat" originated with Kathy Griffin, not Johnny
    - Johnny is not quoted anywhere using the term "threat"
    - Johnny spoke openly about the hate mail in his post-Olympic journal
    - there is nothing new here other than the press trying to spin a story (and hey, that's hardly new either )

There goes BittyBug being all sensible again.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    I thought he looked as if he had a hang over at the Olympics free program. Too much partying with the Russians the night before. Let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    This is the first time i've heard this! Where did you hear that?!?!

Ant

This is how rumors get started.

riverflows
    There was an article in an NY newpaper about him hanging out in the Russian party house, but that was after he had skated in the long program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    To be fair i think the internet was going pretty strong by 1996 and the time of Rudy's Nationals success and world medal. It may not be the medium it is now but still information could easily be found on the interent. ...
    Ant
    While information might have been available on the internet in 1996, it did not provide the "shield of anonymity" that allows people to send all sorts of things (everything from scams to hate mail) while their identities remained hidden.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka
    . On the other hand, it's Johnny Weir, and he is a bit fond of the drama, and I just can't quite take anything he says seriously.
    Lol, by the same token, let's not take anything he hasn't said seriously either.

Custom Title
    Stop being so sensible.

Rinkside
    BittyBug--how could you!! You RUINED everything.

As a side note, usually I am good at Reading Comprehension--I was a little too eager to jump on the Bad Johnny bandwagon. (Imagine the slink away smilie here). I'm so glad there's not a big giant OOOOPS that pops up in bright neon lights everytime you make a bad post.

Oh well. To get this thread back on track: My best friend's second cousin's dog's babysitter's adopted left handed red headed stepbrother's son's girlfriend's cat's human servant's sister reported on her myspace that Johnny Weir has in fact received several tickets from the Fashion Police, and if he doesn't comply, they're going to make Santino design every single outfit he wears from now till 2010.

Discuss.

Oh well, you can't believe anything a left-handed person says!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast