Thread: Entries

Custom Title

Entries

Skate Canada ( http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athlete...l_assignments/ ) and US Figure Skating ( http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216) already have the initial ones online, but I cant wait to find out more. I cant wait for the new Season to begin

Ladies
    Cannarozzo(USA)
    Oberstar(USA)

Man
    Joey Russell (CAN)
    Carriere(USA)
    Halverson (USA)

Dance
    Joanna Lenko / Mitchell Islam(CAN)
    Rosenthal/Taylor (USA)
    Tomarchio/Sinchak(USA)

Pairs
    Valène Maheu / Pierre Coté (CAN)
    Brooke Paulin / Nathan Last (CAN)
    Emilie Demers-Boutin / Pierre-Philippe Joncas (CAN)
    McLaughlin/Brubaker (USA)
    Paetsch/Nuss (USA)
    Pflumm/Pottenger (USA)

has anyone heard more entries?
    Last edited by Sandra_persch; 07-23-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks for the compilation, Sandra. (Go Rosenthal and Taylor!)

Carriere is here too!

Interesting Pairs team will be McLaughlin and Brubaker. He did very well with his former partner before she outgrew him.

Joe

Custom Title
    McLaughlin/Brubaker won the Junior Pairs event at the Liberty Open a couple of weeks ago. The good news is they are off to a good start. The bad news is that Keauna is only 13 and won't be able to compete at the Senior level for two more years, and this is Rockne's last year as a Junior. They have to make a really big splash internationally this season because they will be in limbo for the 2007-2008 season.

Custom Title
    Actually, McLaughlin/Brubaker will be eligible for some senior events next season in 2007-08 (just not ISU Championship events) because she will turn 14 in September.

Initial entries are up for Budapest:
    http://www.isufs.org/events/fsevent00009351.htm

Custom Title
    It's true that McLaughlin/Brubaker can do "B" Internationals in the 2007-2008 season, but there aren't that many "B"s that have Pair events, and the ISU is very stingy with ISU ranking points even for "B" winners. In addition, few "B" events are chosen for the Season's Best Scores list.

It's not so much the 2007-2008 season that is a concern, but the 2008-2009 GP invitations are based on (a) finish at Worlds in 2007-2008 (b) ISU Ranking and (c) Season's Best Ranking. This team is very promising, but the lack of competitive opportunities could stall their momentum, and sometimes that is discouraging enough to cause another Pairs split.

Custom Title
    McLaughlin/Brubaker would also be age-eligible for the Senior Grand Prix in 2007-08 (like Mao Asada was last year) *IF* they were invited (this is, of course, assuming that they have a stellar junior international season in 2006-07. )

The Budapest JGP has a very deep-looking men's event with Carriere (4th at Jr. Worlds), Takahito Mura (5th), Sweden's Adrian Schultheiss (won a JGP gold & silver last fall), Germany's Philipp Tischendorf (won a JGP bronze last fall), Russia's Vladimir Uspenski (Alexander's brother), Eliot Halverson (JGP debut) and more!

Also, Katherine Hadford (HUN) and the brother/sister pair of Yang/Yang (TPE/Taiwan) are based in the USA. Hadford previously qualified for 2005 U.S. Nationals and placed 17th in senior ladies (she competed in Hungarian Nationals this past season).

When I read posts like these I want to see some Junior competitions. I'm sure none of it will be on TV. I will get to see some American Jrs in Spokane, but no international,

BTW, what is a B International?

Joe

Custom Title
    "B" Internationals are events like Nepela, Nebelhorn, Karl Schafer, Finlandia, Golden Spin.

Thanks euterpe. I presume these will have the better skaters than the others.

Joe

Custom Title
    Few top skaters go to "B" Internationals, so the 'also rans' get a shot at medals. Here are some medalwinners from last season:

NEPELA
    Men: Scott Smith, Kevin Van Der Perren, Tomas Verner
    Ladies: Julia Sebestyen, Alissa Czisny, Amber Corwin
    Dance: Beknazarova/Zuyev, Akimova/Shakalov, Hajkova/Vincour

NEBELHORN
    Men: Stefan Lindemann, Noriyuki Kanzaki, Tomas Verner
    Ladies: Elena Sokolova, Alisa Drei, Beatrisa Liang
    Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Duhamel/Arnold, Hinzmann/Parchem
    Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Beier/Beier

KARL SCHAFER (Vienna Cup) - this was the Olympic qualification competition
    Men: Tomas Verner, Gregor Urbas, Vakhtang Murvanidze
    Ladies: Yan Liu, Yong Suk Kim [PRK], Fleur Maxwell
    Pairs: Volosozhar/ Morozov, Langlois/Hay, Vise/Trent
    Dance: Drobiazko/Vanagas, Fraser/Lukanin, Beier/Beier

GOLDEN SPIN
    Men: Gregor Urbas, Marc Andre Craig, Ilya Klimkin
    Ladies: Alisa Drei, Megan Duhamel, Silvia Fontana
    Pairs: Duhamel/Arnold, Ushakova/Karev, Beriau/Gazzola
    Dance: Beknazarova/Zuyev, Mallory/Holdburg, Hajkova/Vincour

Chuckum - From the list of medal winners you presented, there are a number of big names who enter 'B' competitions.

When I was following closely Weir's career after seeing debut in Nationals and then his following Nats from which he was forced to go to Finlandia (I believe) the next year, I think 'B' comps may well be worth watching.

Joe

Custom Title
    The problem is we CAN'T watch "B" Internationals as none of them are shown on US TV.