WNBA Thread for Vash! | Golden Skate

WNBA Thread for Vash!

guinevere

Final Flight
Everyone please 'scuse the side thread. Vash attended the PHX-SEA game tonight and I can't wait for a report. It was a very intense game!! I hope Penny Taylor is ok. Not to mention all the injured Stormies. God, that must have been an incredible game to watch. I feel bad for the Phoenix fans, and I'm hoping that the Mercs can get into the finals instead of Houston. But that game was a nailbiter until the very end.

Vash01

Medalist
Thanks Guinevere. I was going to start the thread last night after I returned from the game. However, we had a horrible electrical storm (no pun intended) last night that lasted for many hours. I avoid being on the phone and the computer in these situations, and stay glued to the TV. Although they said on TV that the thunderstorm warning had ended at 11pm (and only rain and flooding were left), I could see lightning close to my home and could hear the thunder. I waited until 12:30am or so, then I gave up and decided to post in the morning, so here I am. Now I see that fsu is up, so I will copy this into the already existing thread there.

The game was on espn2, so I assume you and other WNBA fans watched it.

You were right, it was a great game, except for the last 3-4 minutes. The Storm ran away with it in the end because the Mercury had to keep fouling them to get the ball back, and the Storm absolutely would not miss the FT's. They only missed two in the whole game, I think.

It was a close and well fought game. The teams were evenly matched. On the Storm side Lauren Jackson, Betty Lennox and Sue Bird were great. Betty in particular really burned the Mercs. Sue and others killed them with 3-pt. shooting. On the Mercury side, Kelly Miller was great. She had 6 rebounds in just the 1st half. Penny Taylor played a great game. It's the best I have seen her play since she rejoined the Mercury this season. I am worried about her injury, and I will find out more about it when I read the newspaper today. Kamila V. did not play due to injury. In the end when Penny went down, the Mercs seemed to be running out of players.

Diana Tuarasi took a while to start scoring but she came alive and scored 27 points. She fouled out with about a minute left in the game, and it would not have made a difference at that point because the Storm kept leading by 6 or 8 points. Cappie played well (14 pts) considering the seriousness of her injury. That really cut down on her playing time and IMO it was a big factor for the Mercury. However,Kelly and Penny more than picked up the slack. They were both great. Kelly is short compared to other players and she was still coming up with defensive rebounds.

The Mercs had 11 steals (Storm had just one) and they really fought for the ball. However, as usual, key mistakes at critical points hurt them. In the 2nd pd. they had a 6 point lead. Instead of building on it they allowed the Storm to come back and tie the game at 37-37. That gave the Storm lots of confidence. The lead changed hands many times and the game was tied many times.

In the end the Storm made the throws they had to, and the Mercury did not. It was disappointing but it was still a very good game.

One day before the game I got a call from the Mercury office to wear a white t-shirt to the game to 'white out the storm'. Obviously it did not work and we were caught in the storm inside and outside the arena (pun is intended):laugh:

Thanks for the nice comments about the Mercs, Guenivere. I am going to the Houston game on Sun. That is a strong team. They will be tough to beat. The Mercs are pretty much out of the playoffs at this point. Good luck to the Storm.

Vash

Last edited:
But the thing is, the Shock will totally dominate come playoff time. Cheryl Ford rules! :rock:

Vash01

Medalist
MM,

Nice to know that you watch WNBA. The Mercury beat the Shock handily here, but that was before the injuries.