What are all these new Pairs' Twists in COP?? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What are all these new Pairs' Twists in COP??

antmanb

Record Breaker
Sadly mac died at the weekend before i could try any of these helpful hints...seems like a loose connection to me because the computer keeps cutting out when i move it, or type!!! As soon as it comes back from the hospital i'll let you know how successful i am at viewing!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
Their 3ATh (and when I think how hard this must be, considering no one else can do it, and John is a small guy for pairs), is now only +2 over the field rather than +2.5 (because of the bump to the 3FTh), or +5 overall.

But i have to say overall i agree with the 3FTh being upgraded because i thought it was ridiculous to have it on the same tariff as a throw triple loop when it is so much harder than the throw triple loop. It is a shame for John and Rena and maybe the throw 3A should have been given a greater tariff too.

DORISPULASKI said:
The Chinese and O&S can all manage a quad twist now that there is an point advantage to doing them. I&B are going to take at least a 3 point hit overall right there.

Can the chinese pairs do quad twists? I don't think i'd heard that - is it both Pang & Tong and the Zhangs that can do this? I'm guessing that Shen and Zhoa can't.

DORISPULASKI said:
They are certainly going to have to go back to doing 3T's in the short, as well as the long.

Am i misremembering my US pairs or weren't John and Rena the skaters that were doing SBS 3 Lutzes at some point? The pair i'm thinking of could do them separately and the lady in the pair was the one that nearly always landed them and it was the man that seemed to have more of psychological problem landing it SBS - was this them? If so why not put those back in as well as trying the triple toes?

DORISPULASKI said:
Looks like they have to go for the quad throw that their coach suggested. I wonder which one they'll pick? Rena's loop is rather better than her salchow.
Possibly the quad toe throw that Ding & Ren used to do?

Have they been training a quad or is it something that their coach has suggested they need to advance onto the podium?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
The question I'm asking here is whether the flip throw is easier or harder than the loop throw.

Because of the lack of point difference, not a lot of pairs last year were doing the flip throw, just as you say, so the sample size is very small. O&L, S&S, and O&S did the flip and only O&S did both loop and flip, to my knowledge, at the World level. In lower level US competition, Mayne & Burgess did the flip and loop, Jordan and Barrett did a 3Fth and 3lzth at US Nationals and got credit for both, and AFAIR, Denney & Barrett did the same at Liberty, although I don't know whether they got credit for both.

If they're going to give credit for both the flip & lutz throws, I wish they would use different symbols for them. And if they regard them as interchangeable, then you shouldn't be able to repeat them, or you should be able to repeat other throws in the LP.

If O&L and S&S found the loop easier than the flip, they would have done the flip and loop in the long for the extra 0.5 points. The fact that they didn't tends to support a belief that they found the flip easier than the loop, not harder. Jordan and Barrett did the flip and lutz in the long, avoiding the loop entirely.

The flip in SP would be that given the ability to do either a salcow or a flip, the flip counts higher, so of course S&S and O&L did the flip. For O&S, given that flip and loop used to count the same, they chose to do the flip in the short, tends to support that they find the flip the easier of the two skills.

At Liberty, some of the FL contingent were doing a flip throw and a lutz throw in the LP. I'm not sure if that's now legal, and haven't seen the protocols to know whether they got credit for both skills.

So I tend to believe the flip is as easy (or as hard, whichever) as the loop, and I will be interested to see whether teams immediately drop the loop or salchow to add the flip, now that it is worth more.

And I would welcome other opinions on the subject.

On this Flip and Loop thing - with O&S i thought the throw triple loop was newer to them than the throw triple flip? I might be misremembering but i thought they'd had throw triple sal or throw triple toe as their other throw until fairly recently which might explain why they have the throw triple flip in the SP if its more secure because they've been doing it for longer

I expect every pair is different and the preferences for the flip or loop must be similar to those singles skaters who prefer either toe or edge jumps. My perception of the throw jumps is that thrown edge jumps generally are easier to execute than thrown toe jumps because edge jumps are more truly "thrown" than the toe jumps which tend to be more of an assist. The technique required for the flip is quite awkward in terms of getting the pick in and lift without the partner getting in the way or hindering the jump (to my mind the most awkward thrown jump of all is the toe loop). Compared to the loop which looks like its much easier given the position of the lady doesn't tend to change from preparation through to take off, flight and landing. Also, unlike the throw triple flip, pretty much the entire first revolution of the throw triple loop (and salchow) is completed while the partners are still touching and lifting into the throw.

To me it looks harder and seems like it is harder on paper, but i don't have first hand experience of talking with pairs who actually try these throw jumps...none of the young pairs at my rink do any thrown toe jumps they all do edge jumps (and at most as singles and doubles).

Ant

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
getalife said:
The article that was referred to by John Zimmerman was published in the August issue of International Figure Skating. John states that "Height is a factor. The more significant the difference in height between the two skaters, the more options the team has to create elements". His second point is that strength, in the male AND the female, is critical. And finally he says "Never be satisfied with your current abilities". Which means, always try to learn more, do more. All of these points were in an article titled Shopping for a Pairs Partner. If I read most of the comments posted correctly, some of you are disagreeing with someone that has skated pairs, very successfully, for many, many years.

I don't think anyone is questioning that John is correct in saying a greater hieght/size difference between the partners leads to greater options/more difficult elements being executed. I think any ciriticisms are that the rules as they are currently drafted are encouraging the size differential in partners that some people find aesthetically unattractive in pairs skating. I think a connected criticism is that the only reason some young novice couples do well competitively is because of the height/size difference which leads to partnerships splitting when the pairs' body shape changes.

The criticism of this isn't a personal criticism of the teams, i think it is more of a lamenting that the rules are encouraging skaters to get together based purely on size differences which allow them to do acrobatic elements that attract higher tariffs which some might view as more acrobatic than skating skill related, when it might be better to encourage partners to get together young and stay together to develop that pairs ESP that so many teams lack and allow it to develop so that if a size difference advantage starts to disappear as the partners grow up, they are not forced to split up to find bigger/smaller partners just to get the big throw triples and twists done.

Teams that get credit for things like big twists and throws don't get as penalised for not being able to have a nice line and unison when doing simple stroking, or perhaps don't get dinged as badly for having SBS jumps/spins that are out of unison because of the size differential between the partners.

I think it would be a more level palying field if unison and true pairs skating were rewarded as much as the big tricks so that a partnership could make the conscious decision to either have a big height/size difference to max out on the big tricks, or have a more similar sizing to allow for greater unison and nicely timed indentically executed elements (like SBS triples and difficult spins). In reality i think they'd gravitate towards a more medium road which i think would be preferable.

Again alot of it is aesthetics, but i'm pretty sure no-one on this thread was bashing or slamming particular skaters, just the scoring system for advocating certain things.

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ant, You represented what I felt about this much better than I could do. Thank you. I would prefer for the widest possible assortment of sizes of people to be able to compete in pairs, and I would definitely like COP to be defined so as far as possible, there is an even playing field for all. I certainly never meant to denigrate any particular teams.

On this Flip and Loop thing - with O&S i thought the throw triple loop was newer to them than the throw triple flip? I might be misremembering but i thought they'd had throw triple sal or throw triple toe as their other throw until fairly recently which might explain why they have the throw triple flip in the SP if its more secure because they've been doing it for longer

This one, I may know the answer to. At Worlds 2003, Obertas was skating with Sokolov. At Cup of Russia 2003, she was skating with Slavnov and they did
3Fth in the SP and the 3LpTh and 3FTh in the LP. So they seem to have known both skills pretty much for their whole career together. (This is one of the joys of COP--you can look up what everyone was doing back in the 2003 Grand Prix.)

The whole business of assigning tariffs to skills very few teams (or even no teams) have done is one of the black magic pieces of COP, given that any particular team may not be very representative.

I am suspecting that the flip is about the same as the loop because of the height assist you get from the toe pick. But we'll definitely see!

Have they been training a quad or is it something that their coach has suggested they need to advance onto the podium?

I don't know whether they're actually training it--but Oppegard said when interviewed that he thought she had a quad in her.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
This one, I may know the answer to. At Worlds 2003, Obertas was skating with Sokolov. At Cup of Russia 2003, she was skating with Slavnov and they did
3Fth in the SP and the 3LpTh and 3FTh in the LP. So they seem to have known both skills pretty much for their whole career together. (This is one of the joys of COP--you can look up what everyone was doing back in the 2003 Grand Prix.)

Ok, well that's my theory out of the window then!! Maybe the triple flip is easier for them - does anyone know what Julie's triple (or even double) edge jumps are like? She seems to struggle badly with the double axel - i can't remember one in competition that she's landed. That might explain the use of the throw flip? Does anyone know who had a hand in writing the pairs side of the CoP? Tied into the bit below about assigning tarrifs for elements i'd like to know who they asked to come up with the tariffs in the frist place and who got it changed this time around.

DORISPULASKI said:
The whole business of assigning tariffs to skills very few teams (or even no teams) have done is one of the black magic pieces of COP, given that any particular team may not be very representative.

I am suspecting that the flip is about the same as the loop because of the height assist you get from the toe pick. But we'll definitely see!

Like i mentioned above it would be interesting to see who was involved and who was used in coming up with the pairs tariffs.

One final observation on the difficulty of thrown jumps is that they must follow (at least a little bit) the correlating difficulty of performing the solo jump without the throw. The flip is a more difficult jump done solo for many reasons one of which is the pick assit in the jump. Though called a "toe salchow" here in the UK and at least on paper is a salchow with a toe assist, unlike the loop and toe loop the jump is not made easier with the toe assist - the weight transfer from the LBI edge to the right pick is quite difficult, as is obtaining the backspin position required for multi-revolution versions of the jump - all things which are not required for a loop who's preparation, take off, flight and landing are the same in all phases. I would guess that having a partner launching you into a flip is difficult because there are more things that can go wrong and can affect the jump going well, unlike the loop...anyway i think arguments can me made either way for the jumps being equally as difficult or one slightly harder than the other. One thing though related to teh CoP tarrifs is that just because one skater find one things more problematic than another doesn't mean that is necessairly harder. The Axel is nototrriously difficult and a lot of young skaters land their double sals and toes before landing the axel. But tht doen't mean the tariffs should be changed to make an axel worth more than a double sal...or does it?!

Ant

Fredegunda

Rinkside
Am i misremembering my US pairs or weren't John and Rena the skaters that were doing SBS 3 Lutzes at some point? The pair i'm thinking of could do them separately and the lady in the pair was the one that nearly always landed them and it was the man that seemed to have more of psychological problem landing it SBS - was this them? If so why not put those back in as well as trying the triple toes?

I remember that the Canadian pair Meghan Duhamel and Ryan Arnold do SBS 3 Lutz and landed them at Canadians this year. Meghan is a singles skater too, I'm not sure about Ryan, and I have no clue if he misses the jump more often than she does. Anyway, maybe this is who you were thinking of?

By the way, on the subject of twists. What "generic" twists were the pairs all doing before COP made all these distinctions? In the mid-nineties I only remember commentators talking about the split twist and lateral twist.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
John and Rena only landed the SBS 3 lutzes once, that I remember, and that was at Skate America in 2004, I think. Putnam & Wirtz landed them in the LP at the same competition, too.

I believe they returned to the 3T's because they actually could land them more often, as opposed to the 3Lz's where John kept popping his because he could not get the timing right in the pair, although he could land one by himself on the rink. Or so the story goes...

And as to the twists, that's why I started the thread. If you download the clips (if they are still active) you can see what the axel entry twist looks like vs the standard lutz/flip entry, which is all we saw in recent years. The lateral twist has a sort of loop entry, and I have a clip of it, too. I couldn't find a vid of anyone doing a toe loop entry though, and am hoping someone will wander by here who might know who used to do this. The twist and the landings are approximately the same; it's the takeoffs that are different.

antmanb

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
John and Rena only landed the SBS 3 lutzes once, that I remember, and that was at Skate America in 2004, I think. Putnam & Wirtz landed them in the LP at the same competition, too.

I believe they returned to the 3T's because they actually could land them more often, as opposed to the 3Lz's where John kept popping his because he could not get the timing right in the pair, although he could land one by himself on the rink. Or so the story goes...

And as to the twists, that's why I started the thread. If you download the clips (if they are still active) you can see what the axel entry twist looks like vs the standard lutz/flip entry, which is all we saw in recent years. The lateral twist has a sort of loop entry, and I have a clip of it, too. I couldn't find a vid of anyone doing a toe loop entry though, and am hoping someone will wander by here who might know who used to do this. The twist and the landings are approximately the same; it's the takeoffs that are different.

Maybe the writers of the CoP made a typo and meant to write "loop" instead of "toe loop" entry? I just can't get my head around how one would do a twist lift with a toe loop entry...unless its like a toe axel - like a lift entry?

Ant

Last edited:

Fredegunda

Rinkside
DORISPULASKI said:

Thanks for the clarifications, dorispulaski. I kind of got that the entries/takeoffs were different, but I was wondering why these distinctions became important right now. I guess that COP is notorious for compartmentalizing and specifying. Did having a more difficult takeoff during the 6.0 era affect the technical score?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What was under the covers during the 6.0 era, I haven't a clue. However, it's worth knowing that no one crowned Cherkasova & Shakrai king and queen of pairs because they could do a quad axel twist. They were 4th in 1977 and 1978, 2nd to Tai & Randy in 1979 (No Rodnina), They did win Worlds in 1980 (No Tai & Randy & no Rodnina), were 4th in 1981, and were not at Worlds again (info from Skatabase).

You could argue that this was part of the reason for V&V's good tech scores, I think.

I think you're right about putting these different entries in COP--compartmentalization is what they do. Since no one is doing these different entries, I bet no one was calling for them for advantage purposes.

However, maybe Vassiliev plans to teach axel entry? After all, he and Valova were the last I recall doing this-it would give his pairs a further advantage, perhaps?

It will be interesting to see who opts to try a double axel entry twist with the arms over the head, the split and the handless catch to avoid doing the triple twist, especially in the short. I wouldn't be surprised to see John and Rena go for this, since they're comfortable with axel everything. And O&S are back with Vassiliev, are they not? However, I would think resurrecting the quad in the long would be better for O&S, myself. Perhaps the axel entry triple in the short for O&S, if they can learn it?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
antmanb said:
Maybe the writers of the CoP made a typo and meant to write "loop" instead of "toe loop" entry? I just can't get my head around how one would do a twist lift with a toe loop entry...unless its like a toe axel - like a lift entry?

Ant

Ant, I haven't a clue. That's why I've been looking for a clip. But if the COP people meant loop, I would think the tariff would be higher for the toe loop entry, not lower. It's supposed to be easier. I suppose it goes like a toe loop throw, except up, not out? :clueless:

Fredegunda

Rinkside
DORISPULASKI said:
And O&S are back with Vassiliev, are they not? However, I would think resurrecting the quad in the long would be better for O&S, myself. Perhaps the axel entry triple in the short for O&S, if they can learn it?

I think O/S went back to the Velikovs? Vassiliev was mentioned as a possible coach for S/S given the Steuer fiasco but I haven't kept up with that news. Thanks for the info about Cherkasova and Shakhrai as well as V/V - weren't V/V very technically advanced for their time? They even did SBS 3t's starting in 1983 if I recall correctly, which was unheard of for pairs at the time. So in a way it's not surprising to hear that they would have used the axel entry for the twist. Interesting, though, that no one else seems to have opted for it since then.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So in a way it's not surprising to hear that they would have used the axel entry for the twist. Interesting, though, that no one else seems to have opted for it since then.

I would guess that it really is harder than the flip/lutz entry, and that no extra credit was given for it. If it netted more points, or was of similar difficulty, someone would be using it, I think

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Just musing

Just free-floating-thinking here:

I suspect that it's the woman's height affecting the spin of any twist/throw.
This is NOT just in relation to the size/strength of the man...but the mastery begins with the ability of the woman to "snap" & rotate ...in other words, her 'compactness", which can be related to her own height to weight ratio for starters. Of course then, the other elements start piling in on top of that...speed, timing, partner height/weight/strength. I do not believe that a man's size, strength, or a huge size difference between the pair can overcome deficits in this first "requirement" of the female pair skater...otherwise, a man could skate with a sack of barley and fulfill half the elements required.

So what is the diff. betw. Johnny & Rena in height? Everyone seems focused on Johnny being "short" for a pair guy...meanwhile, there are continued comments on the importance of height "difference" betw the pair, soooo... shouldn't we NOT talk about "short Johnny" but instead investigate the height diff....isn't Rena awfully short...like 4'7" or 4' 9" ? And isn't Johnny 5'9 or 5'10"? Accordingly then, the difference between their heights is just fine for success....even according to Zimmerman's "formula", & even if I'm off an inch on either end. If you all aren't talking about this...then in reality, you are talking about "no pair can be successful without having The Hulk skate in the guys' role.

Speaking of which--sigh--follow the money (read, medal count) if you want to know why rules are made that seem to be restrictive or senseless or ....whatever. In my opinion, looking back over the way this sport has been regulated internationally, it reveals rules, regulations, requirements that get slapped on to "regulate out" diversity and creativity. Concurrently, these end up "favoring" & encouraging the development of cookie cutter athletes, almost always NOT based on any "western" trends or "prototypes" or cirucumstances. I really can't be dissuaded from this thought as surely as I know that ....if it has feathers and quacks and waddles down to the pond....it is a duck.

For instance, I thought Ice Dancing had become the "odd ball cousin" in this sport...increasingly boring, increasingly predictable in outcome, increasingly incomprehensible to the amateur viewer or fan--let alone the "maybe-could-be-hooked" occassional viewer. It was hurting the reputation of the sport overall...and had become almost a dead weight...until the "scandal" called for revisions, reviews, restructuring. Now, though most of this had to do with the way scores were arrived at (and then, there was the new scoring system itself), the effect in Ice Dancing, coming when it did, allowed competitors a ray of hope...a chance to shine and strut their stuff--because they knew there was going to be a crack to slip through...a way to overcome the regulated "prototypes".. Suddenly, Ice Dancing came alive...it was the most dramatic and entertaining event of the Olympics IMO this past year. The diversity of the couples gave it a HUGE shot in the arm. There is NO doubt in my mind that, within a few years, all those cracks will be filled in again, new rule by new rule, & this diversity will melt away. You see the same process washing over pairs. The men's event has totally fallen off my radar screen. I can't even bear to watch it anymore. Grumble Grumble. I guess my bottom line is that I believe most of these rules and regulations that pile up until we reach critical mass.....eventually hurt the sport's popularity, it's continued development, kill creative expression and artistry, and in the end narrow its support base.

getalife

Spectator
Thank you pipsquick for understanding what many of us were trying to say last weekend. While the man does have to be strong, there are many other factors that come into play during a twist or throw or actually anything that a pairs team does. That is why it is called "pairs" it takes 2 equally talented people.

It is too bad that the judging system puts caps on what they allow the teams to do . My point earlier was, if a team can work hard and achieve a new goal, say a triple twist at Novice, then they should be able to do it. And if I understand it correctly, it is only a USF rule that they are not allowed, not an international rule.

getalife - Is there an advantage if the male partner is 6.0 tall and the female is 5.0? Tall men do very well in basketball and tossing around little women. Do you agree?

Joe

getalife

Spectator
I think that it is smart planning on the part of the male, female and the coach if there is a height difference. I do not think that it needs to be 12 inches. I totally do not understand your question about tall basketball players and tossing around small women. What does one have to do with the other?

getalife said:
I think that it is smart planning on the part of the male, female and the coach if there is a height difference. I do not think that it needs to be 12 inches. I totally do not understand your question about tall basketball players and tossing around small women. What does one have to do with the other?
Sorry, I was not precise. (I had just watched a Mets defeat by the Marlins and it was upsetting)

There is an advantage in basketball for tall players to be on the team for obvious reasons. I don't want to hear about the one exception which most shorties realize that will never happen for them.

In Pairs skating, if the male partner is very tall and he lifts his lady partner straight up off the ice to the length of his long stretched arms, the Pair already has an advantage of a WOW move. WOW moves are essential in Pairs. (Much better than those cumbersome pair spins.)

For this I say the height of the gentleman to that of the lady is a distinct advantage in Pairs skating if the the difference between the two is greater than the distanced in height of their competitors. Like the basketball players, it is obvious.

The height of a lift and a throw does not necessarily make the win for the couple. I am just saying that it is an advantage, and the height ratio between the couple is important. They still have to do those ugly pair spins, as well as the other sundry elements of pairs skating.

I do agree with you on 'smart planning', and a warning should go up for couples who do not have much height difference.

Joe

Alsace

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
They still have to do those ugly pair spins, as well as the other sundry elements of pairs skating.
Joe

A smidge OT: I was watching the best of nationals DVDs I recently purchased at the USFSA museum gift shop. Starbuck and Shelley and Tai and Randy both did a pair camel spin in which both partners entered the spin from the air. I thought that move was one of the nicest pair spins I've seen. Why did it go out of fashion and what is its technical name?