Thread: Toller Cranston - Interview

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Toller Cranston - Interview

I thought some folks may find Toller Cranston's interview for Maclean's magazine rather thought provoking. It's from a couple of years ago, but still sounds fresh today. Always controversial and never dull, Toller really left his mark on Figure Skating:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=M1ARTM0012591

Thanks, Ladskater! I like to read anything related to Toller. He is guaranteed to galvanize you. His 1975-76 short program is a thing of beauty forever. I love to watch that. I also think his interpretation of "Kalinka" in the exhibition at 1975 Worlds in Moscow is as fine as any Russian version I have seen. He has great arm movements which are not random at all and superlative flexibility. He looks like he could dislocate his hip on those leg kicks!

Here is a copy of the Kalinka exhibition-if anyone is interested! It is not a long clip, but it is WONDERFUL (IMHO!)!

Toller in Moscow--1975 - clip to "Kalinka":

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...8454EE4D11410D
    Last edited by 76olympics; 07-22-2006 at 10:19 AM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Thanks! Yes, Toller really knew how to "sell" a program - he chose the perfect music and choreography for a Russian audience. He always did the best Russian Split jumps I have ever seen of any skater. Toller is one of my all time favorite male skaters and always will be an inspiration to me.

Thanks for your reply.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Thanks 76Olympics for that video. I can't watch it right now, I'm at work but can't wait to do so.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics
    Thanks, Ladskater! I like to read anything related to Toller. He is guaranteed to galvanize you. His 1975-76 short program is a thing of beauty forever. I love to watch that. I also think his interpretation of "Kalinka" in the exhibition at 1975 Worlds in Moscow is as fine as any Russian version I have seen. He has great arm movements which are not random at all and superlative flexibility. He looks like he could dislocate his hip on those leg kicks!

Here is a copy of the Kalinka exhibition-if anyone is interested! It is not a long clip, but it is WONDERFUL (IMHO!)!

Toller in Moscow--1975 - clip to "Kalinka":

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...8454EE4D11410D
    Well done Russian character dance on ice. He believed in skating to the beat of the music, and with his excellent technique he was a master. He's among my short list of great musical skaters.

Joe