Thread: What is "skating against the book?"

Hybrid View

What is "skating against the book?"

In the recently contested Nutmeg State (Connecticut) Figure Skating and Rifle Shooting Games (July 15-16)

http://www.nutmegstategames.org/cont...page=06results

the senior ladies results are listed as

1st place: Book 3
    2nd place: Book 2
    3rd place: Book 1
    4th place: Jessica Imbro

http://www.nutmegstategames.org/cont...e=06fskrssat15

(The Book sisters rule!)

In novice ladies it was

1st place Christina Perfetto
    2nd place: Book 1
    3rd place: Hillary Cooke

What does this mean?

MM

Medalist
    Hehe, Mathman, I like your explanation of the 3 Book sisters

I thought it could be a coding error. The command could be "Book" as in, you book the names of the skaters. The names of skaters might have been assigned a number: in this case, 1, 2, and 3. So rather than entering names into a spreadsheet, the results were entered as the competitor's number. The computer program should have replaced the number with the name when it was entered. A bug in the program could have caused the number not to be replaced by the name in these three cases. So the results were published, not having been looked over, as Book 1, 2, and 3.

Custom Title
    "Competing against the book" ("book" in this context means the rulebook, ISI or USFSA) -- here's a typical statement from one competition announcement:
    "When only one competitor is entered in an event, that competitor will be given the option of competing against the book or performing an exhibition."

I don't know exactly how "competing against the book" works, though -- perhaps someone in the know can fill in the details for us?

Custom Title
    Maybe competing against the book is like competing against a past personal record? Or against an average book record? Lol, I have no idea.

Ha ha, Book Sisters.

Comment overheard at a tennis tournament: "The Bye family has several people entered."

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    THE NUTMEG STATE FIGURE SKATING AND RIFLE SHOOTING GAMES???

Do they do both at the same time?? Is this some sort of weird biathlon?? Can you hear the music and properly assess artistic interpretation with all those guns going off??

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Ha ha, Book Sisters.

Comment overheard at a tennis tournament: "The Bye family has several people entered."
    Comment overheard at a college graduation: That Cumlaudi family is really large! How amazing that they have so many members graduating at the same time.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I own a bunch of gold medals for ISI competitions because I skate against the book quite a bit, as I'm 48 and often the only adult in the local competition!!

Unlike USFSA, ISI comps don't cancel your event or offer you an exhibition/judge's critique if there is only one skater, so the skater usually gets gold; HOWEVER, if the program has required elements and you don't complete the necessary percentage of them, you could get silver or bronze or lower. Also, if you do a higher level element that shouldn't be skated in that Freestyle or Elements (compulsory), you can also be bumped down from gold.