Movie Lines | Golden Skate

Movie Lines

J

Joesitz

Movie Lines

Mathman completed a movie line from Sounset Boulevard which I kinda threw in another thread. So.... here is a new complete line:

"Although I am going to Hollywood next week to make a film -- do not think for a moment that I am leaving you. How could I? cause my heart is here in the Theatre -- and three thousand miles are too far to be away from one's heart. I'll be back to claim it -- and soon. That is, if you want me back."

It's one of my favorite phoney good byes scenes and a perfect way to begin the climax of the film.

What character said it and who played the character and what was the name of the film???

If you know, you must answer and submit another famous movie line. (this was a party game my ex and I used to spring on the guests.)

Joe

4dogknight

Re: Movie Lines

I'll bite. Was it Bill Sampson (Gary Merrill) to Margo Channing) Bette Davis in the 1950 film All About Eve?

That film has so many quoteable quotes. I found a wonderful site that gives you a lot of film information and in a variety of selections.
us.imdb.com/

Do I get to throw out a quote now or better yet, let me know if my All About Eve answer is correct.

4dk

J

Joesitz

The movie is correct but that's all. Guess again. But by all means give a classic movie line or two for others to guess.

Joe

4dogknight

Joe - I'll have to watch the film because as I recall only three characters in the story line could logically go to Hollywood and I know now Bill Sampson isn't the one making the speech. And it is a speech, isn't it. So taking that thought one step forward, who is the character making a speech at the end of the film - Eve Harrington played by Anne Baxter.

My Quotable Quotes (both from the same film)

Jerry: "Look at that! Look how she moves! That's just like Jell-O on springs. Must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Jerry: "Now you've done it!"
Joe: "Done what?"
Jerry: "You tore off one of my chests!"

They're from one of my favorite 50's films. Sadly most of the cast are no longer with us.

4dk

L

Ladskater

I like: "fasten your seatbelts, were in for a bumpy ride."

Ladskater

4dogknight

Hey Ladskater, I like that line too but the line is really:
Margo Channing: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"

There are two others from the film that I like as well:

Margo Channing: "I admit I've seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail and a salted peanut."

Addison DeWitt: "I have lived in the theatre as a Trappist monk lives in his faith. In it I toil not, neither do I spin. I am a critic and commentator. I am essential to the theatre - as ants to a picnic, as the boll weevil to a cotton field."

On the my previous post I included two quotes from a film; did you figure out which film I took them from?

4dk

R

rgirl181

Joe,
The speech from "All About Eve" was said by the character Eve Harrington (Ann Francis; Edit: Joe corrected me that it's Ann Baxter. How could I have confused "Honey West" (Francis) with Eve Harrington, lol?! I know the difference between the actresses, but definitely screwed up the names. Plus I missed 4dk's correct answer in a previous post--d'oh!) to the audience of her "peers" as she won the Sarah Siddings (sp?) award for Best Newcomer to the Theatre. Great looks on Bette Davis's (Margot Channing), Bill Sampson (Gary Merrill), Margot's best friend (name and character escape me), her husband, and George Saunders (Addison DeWitt. Didn't Saunders win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in "All About Eve"?), whom Eve had all manipulated (or tried to in the case of Addison--he manipulated her, bwahaha!).

Tidbits: Bette Davis and Gary Merrill married after filming "All About Eve." It didn't last and when they broke up, Davis said, "He thought he was marrying Margot Channing and I thought I was marrying Bill Sampson. Imagine our surprise when we discovered we'd married Bette Davis and Gary Merrill."

Joseph L. Manckeiwicz's script was performed without a single word changed ever. Ever comma, ever pause, everythng was said EXACTLY as Manckeiwicz set it down on the page. There is trailer for the film where Bette Davis says the speech that opens the movie, the "Eve, Eve, Eve the actress, Eve the this, evil Eve, etc." that is said in the film by George Saunders (Addison DeWitt). Davis says it exactly as Saunders says it in the film. Amazing dialogue, since some of it sounds truly spontaneous.

Great movie, Joe. Great speech. So ironic at the end of the film after Eve has shown her true self to everyone.

I'll come up with a line later. Gotta thing of a good one:evil:
Rgirl

J

Joesitz

4dog - You got it. and r-girl, it's Anne Baxter not Anne Francis.

I believe the first quote you gave was Addison Dewit played by George Saunders. T'm totally stuck on the second quote. Hope someone guesses it.

Here's another. remember, the name of the movie; the character and the real actor's name.

"I never knew a physical experience could be so stimulating."

Joe

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">Katherine Hepburn.
"The African Queen"
Rose Sayer (character)</span>

E

eliza88

Movie lines

Just wanted to say that "All About Eve" is one of my favorites! So many quotable lines!! (oh yeah, and had I read this thread earlier I would have said Eve Harrington---oh she was so terribly marvelous! So convincing, so coniving!)

eliza88

K

Kasey

Re: Movie lines

I'm assuming that the 1980's and 1990's are not "classic movie" times?! I guess I'll be left out here, since I haven't seen many "classic" movies! ;)

Kasey

PS...they say I'm deranged, delusional, demented....you know what I say?? So be it! :)

S

sk8m8

4 dog knight,
I believe the two quotes you are asking about are from
SOME LIKE IT HOT

Another great scene from the movie is when the navel guy is trying to seduce Lemmon in drag. When Lemmon finally fesses up to being a guy, the character says..." That's OK. Nobody's Perfect."

As for "ALL ABOUT EVE" this movie is respledant with great line after great line. Some of the following are my favorites ( not exact quotes, but most get the gist.

Margo to Karen- " I'm sorry Karen, I lack your UNYIELDING breeding and good taste. Unfortunately when I was growing up my father needed my help behind the 'notions' counter"
MM: " Oh waiter, can I have another drink?"
GS: "My dear he's a butler."
MM: " Well I can't very well say 'oh butler' it might be someone's name."
GS: " You have a point, my dear. An insipid one, but a point none the less"

Margo to Addison:
Addison:" ...She was fire and music"
Margo: "... Fire and music, fire and music. And what am I? A bunch of old sparlers and a kazoo?"

4dogknight

Okay how about this quote from a 90's film.

"Oh, I'm not trying to land him, I'm just using him for sex."

What's the film and who said the line. And for extra credit, in what setting was the line said.

4dk

(Anybody figure out my 50's film quote?)

K

KwanFan1212

Pretty Woman-1990 :D

Vivian (Julia Roberts) says this at a Polo match to some lady after the woman comments on her landing Richard Gere's character as a potential future hubby, and geesh, his character's name is TOTALLY escaping me right now. Aw man! LOL :lol:

K

Kasey

Gere's character was named Edward...."Can I call you Eddie?" "Not if you want me to respond"... :)

J

Joesitz

RealtorGal - Exactly. I actually couldn't remember the character's name.

Joe

R

rgirl181

Joe,
Arrrgh! As I was about to write the name of the actress who played Eve Harrington I was thinking, "Now don't write Ann Francis instead of Ann Baxter," so of course I wrote Ann Francis.

Sk8m8,
One little nitpicky thing about your quote:

I believe it's Bill Sampson who says about a drink, "And what for you, Eve?" when Margo throws in with a sly grin both the zinger and double entendre, "A milkshake?" Remember, Margo thinks Eve is after Bill to have an affair (she is) and that Bill might be responding (he isn't). On the first layer, "A milkshake?" sounds like Margo's referring to Eve's immaturity. On another layer, a sexual one, "milkshake" takes on a whole other connotation, one that Manckeiwicz intended:evil: Don't anybody ask me to explain. This is forum is rated PG:lol:

Kasey,
I think there are plenty of classic movies from the '80s and '90s. As soon as I check the quotes for accuracy, I'll have some for you.

Is your line, "They say I'm deranged, delusional, demented....you know what I say?? So be it!" from "Rebel Without a Cause" as stated by Plato (Sal Mineo)? It might also be said by James Dean (Jim Stark) or Natalie Wood (Judy), but the vocabulary sounds more like Plato--that is, if I have the movie right:lol:
Rgirl

K

Kasey

Hee hee Rgirl....Christian Slater, playing Mark Hunter, in Pump Up the Volume...1990. :)

Here's a nice conversation...
"You're out of your tree"......"It's not my tree"....Another 90's classic, at least in my book!

Kasey

S

sk8tngcanuck

From a 90's movie:

Kate: When we are through here, can we teach it how to breathe with its mouth closed?

P

Piel

Kate (Moira kelly) to Doug (D.B. Sweeney) in "The Cutting Edge". Toepick!

Piel