Movie Lines | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Movie Lines

4dogknight

Re: Movie lines

Unanswered questions; remember character, actor(s) and film.

<strong>from 4dk</strong>

A: "What did you do today? "
B: "Oh, same-old same-old. "

<strong>from rgirl</strong>

5. "Where's pancakes house?....WHERE'S pancakes house?....Look, I'm f***in' hungry now, ya know."

6. "A strange man defecated on my sister."

<strong>from sk8cynic:</strong>

"Compared to you, Mitch, most people have the IQ of a carrot."

"I'm old enough to be your mother - Almost......Besides, I have to go to the G.D. Senior Honors Banquet."

<strong>from sk8m8:</strong>

" I will not have you standing downtown, annoying people selling 'stink sticks!"?

I'll be back tomorrow, oh it is tomorrow. Well, I'll post another set of quotes later today.

4dk

S

sk8m8

"Where's pancakes house?....WHERE'S pancakes house?....Look, I'm f***in' hungry now, ya know."
I think this is said by Steve Busimi's character when his partner "Clarence"(?) keeps asking for pancakes as the ride down the road in FARGO
"A strange man defecated on my sister."
Though I can't remember who said it exactly, I remember it's from a Woody Allen Film. BULLETS OVER BROADWAY or CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS

The Professor says to Mitch in REAL Geniuses...

THis is a wild guess, because it's been so long since I've seen it ( and what a pity that is)
Doesn't Maude say to Harlod in a movie of a similar title
"I'm old enough to be your mother - Almost......Besides, I have to go to the G.D. Senior Honors Banquet."

Next question...
What movie boast the great lines "......why are you such a b**ch?" " Because I can be."

4dogknight

Here's a list of movie quotes. All quotes are from main stream movies and listed two each from each decade, beginning with the 40's.
Remember character(s) name, actor's name and the name of the film. Year would be good too.

"Did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to go, and still have the feeling that you wanted to stay?"

A: "Miss Brown, what idiot ever told you you were a dancer?"
B: "You did."

"I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders dependent upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself slightly killed."

A: "Nice little town, Albany. They've got a state capital there, you know."
B: "He's got a lot of charm."
C: "Yes, it comes naturally; his grandfather was a snake."

"Push the button, Max!"

"How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?"

"All I know is, you've got to get mad! You've got to say, I'm a human being, @#%$ it! My life has value!"

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

"Pontoon boat? Whaddya going to do with a pontoon boat? Retake Omaha Beach?"

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!"

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!"

"There's never an egg timer around when you need one."

A: "People might think I'm brave, but I'm not."
B: "The brave are simply those with the clearest vision of what is before them - glory and danger alike and notwithstanding, go out to meet it."

"In this town, murder's a form of entertainment."

Bon chance, mes amis!
4dk

S

sk8m8

<strong>"Did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to go, and still have the feeling that you wanted to stay?"</strong>
This ones a gem from the movie/play “The Man Who Came To Dinner” It was said by Jimmy Durante playing the part of Banjo. The year was 1941 and was originally a Kaufman and Hart play on Broadway.

<strong>A: "Miss Brown, what idiot ever told you you were a dancer?"
B: "You did."</strong>
That’s an easy one, it was Don to Hannah (Astaire to Garland) after he’s tried to convert her from a singer to a dancer to get back at his ex dancing partner played by Ann Miller. It’s Cir. 1947-48(?) and contains all those wonderful Irving Berlin songs.

<strong>"I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders dependent upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself slightly killed."</strong>
Great lines spoken by Roger Thornhill (Carey Grant) in “North by Northwest. Think this was in the late ‘50s and is one of Hitchcock’s best. Love the house overhanging on the hill. I know it was probably a painting, but what a design!

<strong>A: "Nice little town, Albany. They've got a state capital there, you know."
C: "Yes, it comes naturally; his grandfather was a snake."</strong>
Gosh 4dog, you’re hitting on all my favorite old movies, these are lines exchanged between Hildy and Bruce in “His Girl Friday” Between Rosalind Russell and Ralph Bellamy. The snake line refers to another great Cary Grant character Walter. This picture is from the early 40’s say 41-42(?) Lines I remember, character names I sometimes remember, dates “fagettaboutit”

<strong>"Push the button, Max!"</strong>
This is a wild guess, but I’d say sounds like Norma Desmond to her faithful man servant and former Director Max is Sunset Boulevard. Norma was, of course, Gloria Swanson and Max was Erich von Stroheim. Both received Oscar nominations for this great film and both lost. A bit of trivia since “All About Eve”, started all of this...this film came out in 1950 and Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson were each nominated. It’s widely believed that they cancelled each other out and that Judy Holliday won her Oscar for “Born Yesterday” because of it. Did you know that 1950 was considered the “second best year in Hollywood after 1939 when “GWTW”, “The Wizard of Oz”, “Goodbye Mr. Chips” and a plethora of others debut that year?

<strong>"How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?"</strong>
Oh 4dog, you’re hitting on all 8 cylinders! From on of my all time favorite movies, “The Producers” comes one of the many great lines from Max Bialystock (Zero Mostel).
It’s hard to believe that this was Mel Brooks’ first movie in 1968. It was the introduction of a great collaborative team between he and Gene Wilder ( who played Leo Bloom) Truly, if this isn’t one of the funniest movies of all time, I don’t know what is.

<strong>"All I know is, you've got to get mad! You've got to say, I'm a human being, @#%$ it! My life has value!"</strong>
Best guess is “Network” in 1975 when Peter Finch in an Oscar winning performance indelibly seers in our minds “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!!!” To which Fay Dunaway (also and Oscar winner) gets on the phone and starts polling all the network affiliates....” Are they shouting in Atlanta?” “They’re shouting in Atlanta...” Black comedy at it’s very best. Sorry can’t remember the characters names in this one.

<strong>"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"</strong>
I think that’s Princes Leah to Hans Solo (Carrie Fisher to Harrison Ford) in the original “Star Wars” when he rescues her amid blazing storm troupers. This would have been 1977?

"<strong>Pontoon boat? Whaddya going to do with a pontoon boat?</strong> Retake Omaha Beach?"
Stumparoonie time....:*(

<strong>"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!"</strong>
Classic “Blues Brothers” line. Elwood (Dan Aykroyd) says this in one of the many chases during the movie. Cir.1980

<strong>"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!"</strong>
That’s the Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman ) in “Robinhood, Prince of Thieves
Not a bad movie, but not one of my favorites, EXCEPT for Rickman who not so much “chews the scenery” as masticates it eloquently. This film’s from around ’90?

<strong>"There's never an egg timer around when you need one."</strong>
Stumped

<strong>A: "People might think I'm brave, but I'm not."
B: "The brave are simply those with the clearest vision of what is before them - glory and danger alike and notwithstanding, go out to meet it."</strong>
Stumped again :*(
<strong>
"In this town, murder's a form of entertainment."</strong>
Momma Morton (Queen Latifah) speaks this line in the Movie “Chicago” that was released in 2002. I don’t know if Billy Flynn (Richard Gere) says it too, I know he does in the play. Lots of the dialogue is recycled from the original Broadway Musical. Look for the addition of the omitted song “Class” in the re-release and following DVD release. It’s a great song that got cut from the first release of the movie.

I know a lot of this stuff, because when you're a kid in Jackson, GA and you've read everything in the Library worth anything, I went home and turned on the TV. Thank you Ted Turner for buying up all those old film libraries before "Classic Flims" became popular. One of the first "Superstations" was Channel 17 (Now WTBS) Which started out as a local Atlanta UHF station and help Mr. Turner establish his once mighty media empire.

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Professor says to Mitch in REAL Geniuses...
[/quote]

Right-O on the Real Genius movie!! One of my favorite movies from the 80's.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>THis is a wild guess, because it's been so long since I've seen it ( and what a pity that is)
Doesn't Maude say to Harlod in a movie of a similar title
"I'm old enough to be your mother - Almost......Besides, I have to go to the G.D. Senior Honors Banquet."[/quote]

A good guess, but no. Movie is from the 70's and is a classic of it's genre.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Next question...
What movie boast the great lines "......why are you such a b**ch?" " Because I can be."[/quote]

I believe that is Heather #1 speaking to Veronica in the cafeteria as they are about to play a cruel joke on Martha Dumptruck. The movie is Heathers, one of the best 'black' comedies to come out of the 80s.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!"
[/quote]

sk8m8, you're probably right on this one, I was thinking it might be from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Best I can do this late at night!!!

4dogknight

sk8m8:
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to go, and still have the feeling that you wanted to stay?"[/quote]
Yep this is Jimmy Durante's line from The Man Who Came To Dinner. <strong>The line, actually the song, is also used in another film from the late 80's. Anyone know what film?</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A: "Miss Brown, what idiot ever told you you were a dancer?"
B: "You did."[/quote]
Right again and the film is Easter Parade (194:cool: I've always loved Borzois.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders dependent upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself slightly killed."[/quote]
Wonderful dialogue and great special effects for 1959.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A: "Nice little town, Albany. They've got a state capital there, you know."
C: "Yes, it comes naturally; his grandfather was a snake."[/quote]
You're right it is from His Girl Friday - 1940.
<strong>For extra credit: there are two other films with the same plot, one released before His Girl Friday and the other - 48 years later. What are they?</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Push the button, Max!"[/quote]
<strong>No this quote is not from the 1950 film Sunset Boulevard. Remember there were other Maxes who were faithful man servants. Guess again, and put 15 years to your last guess.</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?"[/quote]
You are 100% on the money with the 1968 film The Producers. I want more Mel Brooks, more Gene Wilder and I really want Zero Mostel back!!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"All I know is, you've got to get mad! You've got to say, I'm a human being, @#%$ it! My life has value!"[/quote]
Wow your guesses are right on the money. 1975's Network is the film in which Howard Beale (Peter Finch) stands up and says “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!!!” Boy what I wouldn't give to see a network news personality do the same today.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"[/quote]
Yes Star Wars 1977 is correct. After watching the two prequels, Lucas should have left well enough alone. Of course that's only my husband's and my opinion. (We saw Star Wars in 1977 at a Saturday matinee and we yelled and screamed right along with the rest of the kids.)

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Pontoon boat? Whaddya going to do with a pontoon boat? Retake Omaha Beach?"[/quote]
<strong>Think Canadian for this one.</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!"[/quote]
I'm from Chicago, born and bred, and I absolutely love this 1980 film with Aykroyd and Belushi. My husband's favorite scene is Belushi and Fisher in the tunnel. I didn't waste my time on the remake with John Goodman.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!"[/quote]
Isn't this a magnificant line and doesn't Rickman deliver it masterfully. This man could read the Manhattan telephone directory and I'd fall to a mass of quivering jelly. I've said that only about two other actors - Richard Burton and James Earl Jones. I do enjoy resonant speaking voices. And yes the film was released in 1991.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"There's never an egg timer around when you need one."[/quote]
<strong>This film is from the 90's and has politcal overtones.</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A: "People might think I'm brave, but I'm not."
B: "The brave are simply those with the clearest vision of what is before them - glory and danger alike and notwithstanding, go out to meet it."[/quote]
<strong>Might say this is a fantasy from this millennium.</strong>

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"In this town, murder's a form of entertainment."[/quote]
Thanks for the DVD information. I haven't seen the film yet and I now think the DVD is the way to go.

There's two open quotes from earlier posts.

from 4dk

A: "What did you do today? "
B: "Oh, same-old same-old. "
<strong>Think repetitive</strong>

from sk8m8:

" I will not have you standing downtown, annoying people selling 'stink sticks!"?
<strong>This one has me stymied.</strong>

4dk

S

sk8m8

4dog, His Girl Friday was a remake of the classic Hecht & Arthur play and subsequent movie "The Front Page" if you count the remake in the 70's with Lemmon and Carroll Burnett and then you add the TRULY AWFUL "Switching Channels" in the 80l's with Burt Reynolds, Kathileen(sp?) Turner, and Christopher Reeve, that makes 4 all together.

" I will not have you standing downtown, annoying people selling 'stink sticks!"
----Think cult/arthouse films