Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: The Unsupportive Husband

  1. #1
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973

    The Unsupportive Husband

    Jonny Coop inspires more threads around here than anyone, LOL. After reading JC's post in the Andrea Yates thread I thought of this little story that our own DeLo sent me................................

    BOB'S STORY
    It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and Lord knows there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

    My name is Bob. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Debbie. When I took "early retirement" last year, it became necessary for Debbie to get a full-time job, along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age.

    I usually get home from the golf course about the same time she gets home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grille at the club; so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door.

    She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now, it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

    Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, boys, we take these ol’ gals for better or worse, you know; so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much, just so long as she doesn’t ever miss a payment due date. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (she has gotten a bit “broad in the beam,” if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

    When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a couple of minutes. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.

    I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Debbie. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult, and some will even find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

    After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

    Signed,

    Bob

    EDITOR'S NOTE: Poor Bob died suddenly on May 27th. The police report says that he was found with a Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club rammed up “where the sun don’t shine,” with only two inches of grip showing. His wife Debbie was arrested and charged with murder; however, the all-woman jury found her Not Guilty, accepting her defense that he accidentally sat down on it.
    Last edited by Piel; 07-27-2006 at 05:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    rofl...that "defense" is such BS it's not even funny...or wait, maybe it is...

  3. #3
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    :chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

    This reminds me of this sketch on the Muppet Show. Candice Bergen was the guest star and she did this number with this old Lumberjack/Prospector looking Muppet and Candice was slaving away in the background while the Muppet sang something called "Put Another Log On The Fire".

    Lyrics:

    http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/g...ire-13327.html

  4. #4
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913


    It never fails to amaze me how in young straight couples (a lot of my friends are in their late 20s and early 30s) they still default to this ridiculous pattern of the woman doing all the housework/cooking/ironing despite both of thenm having full time jobs...we all grew up together and were brought up on equality and yet the guys still make these ridiculous demands on their girlfriends/wives but even more ridiculous is the fact the girlfriends/wives carry it out and don't tell them to shove it!

    Ant

  5. #5
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,657
    I have no problem going to the "default"... and I'm 21, female, in a society that basically is all for female power...

    now, if he [whenever I do get a he lol] didn't like how I went about the work I'd probably have a few choice things to say... but if the marriage is right, it fits... naieve, yes... but then again I've seen it work with others...

    my dad doesn't do a lot of the chores inside the house... he can make a mess with ease but, like me, it takes about 3 times as much effort to clean... my mom takes care of his messes inside... outside she makes the mess and he fixes and cleans up... it's not something that's a mandate, and it doesn't set my mother back to the stone age (she's a stay at home mom now, but worked full time while I was growing up) it's just how they keep the peace... he doesn't care how the house looks, she does... so it's her problem [this is how I see it, not how dad probably sees it] so she could go about. That doesn't mean dad can't help... or maybe even shouldn't... but it's just easier on all if they have their set places lol

    and I don't think it's just straight couples that have these set places and issues... but then again I don't know many couples that aren't straight so I can't really judge, but it stands to reason...

  6. #6
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I have no problem going to the "default"... and I'm 21, female, in a society that basically is all for female power...

    now, if he [whenever I do get a he lol] didn't like how I went about the work I'd probably have a few choice things to say... but if the marriage is right, it fits... naieve, yes... but then again I've seen it work with others...

    my dad doesn't do a lot of the chores inside the house... he can make a mess with ease but, like me, it takes about 3 times as much effort to clean... my mom takes care of his messes inside... outside she makes the mess and he fixes and cleans up... it's not something that's a mandate, and it doesn't set my mother back to the stone age (she's a stay at home mom now, but worked full time while I was growing up) it's just how they keep the peace... he doesn't care how the house looks, she does... so it's her problem [this is how I see it, not how dad probably sees it] so she could go about. That doesn't mean dad can't help... or maybe even shouldn't... but it's just easier on all if they have their set places lol

    and I don't think it's just straight couples that have these set places and issues... but then again I don't know many couples that aren't straight so I can't really judge, but it stands to reason...
    I guess that's a good way of looking at it - looking at my parents they are pretty much the same - my mum cleans up and straightens the house out about five times faster than my dad can, and even if he does, its usually wrong!

    What amazed me was a lot the guys seem to know how they want things doing and tell their partners what they want and their wives/girlfriends put up with it!

    The reason i mentioned straight couples is that with gay couples the gender role division of tasks that occured almost naturally without discussion with my straight friends hasn't happened with the gay couples i know (including myself). Its up for discussion and no one half takes on all the housekeeping/cooking/cleaning tasks since that seems more than a little unfair. Thankfully my partner seems to love doing the things i hate (ironing...i know what a weirdo!! ) me i don't mind cleaning (where he does) and we both love cooking so it all works out ok, but i'd never dream of complaining about how he'd done the ironing (which i would otherwise not bother doing or send it out!) and if we're going out somewhere i would never dream of asking him to iron an item of clothign for me there and then like some of my straight friends do with their wives/girlfriends...of course if i did my partner would laugh hysterically and tell me to do it myself!!!

    Ant

  7. #7
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9
    I end up doing alot of the chores in our house, not because my husband demands it, but because he takes forever to get things done, and "thorough" is definately not his middle name if you know what I'm saying. I try to get him to do things sometimes, but only when I have the patience to know it's not going to get done right away, and to realize there's probably something I'm going to have to finish.

  8. #8
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    I have never had a girlfriend and one wife, who cleaned or even cooked (one I met in the kitchen and say we were equals) "better" than I. Some (not all) I swear, just play stupid to get out of it too. And just because you may not be as "good" at it doesn't mean you can't try or ask how to help.

    ROT, you can't get better at doing something by sitting on your butt.

  9. #9
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    I hate that when someone pretends not to know how to do something to get out of doing it. My sister does this all of the time. One Christmas as I was trying to get dinner on the table for 35 people I asked her if she would whip the cream for dessert. She replied "I don't know how to use your mixer". :banging: :banging: :banging:

  10. #10
    Skating Diva Kara Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by jak0203
    I end up doing alot of the chores in our house, not because my husband demands it, but because he takes forever to get things done, and "thorough" is definately not his middle name if you know what I'm saying. I try to get him to do things sometimes, but only when I have the patience to know it's not going to get done right away, and to realize there's probably something I'm going to have to finish.
    Its the same way in my house. If I want it done quickly and the "right" way, its easier to do it myself.

    However, I'm slowly training my boyfriend to do small things around the house like hang up his jacket (He says, "I'm just going to wear it tomorrow) or make the bed (Hiis answer, "We're just going to sleep in it in a few hours anyways, why bother).

    I could tell you some horror stories about some things he pulled when I was gone away for school and often not home for a month, but some of then are REALLY gross.

  11. #11
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara Bear
    However, I'm slowly training my boyfriend to do small things around the house like hang up his jacket (He says, "I'm just going to wear it tomorrow) or make the bed (Hiis answer, "We're just going to sleep in it in a few hours anyways, why bother).
    I just thought of this, a little off topic but not soooo... But leaving your bed unmade (pulling back the covers) for a couple of hours to let the moisture out has actually shown to decrease the amount of bed mites and considerably reduce the "smells". - Dr. Phil. I have not been able to do this my self, it drives me crazy to leave my bed a mess.

  12. #12
    Skating Diva Kara Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    I just thought of this, a little off topic but not soooo... But leaving your bed unmade (pulling back the covers) for a couple of hours to let the moisture out has actually shown to decrease the amount of bed mites and considerably reduce the "smells". - Dr. Phil. I have not been able to do this my self, it drives me crazy to leave my bed a mess.
    I prefer washing my sheets to keep away mites and "smells"

    Unmade beds drive me crazy too - I can't do anything in my house until my bed is made.

  13. #13
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara Bear
    I prefer washing my sheets to keep away mites and "smells"

    Unmade beds drive me crazy too - I can't do anything in my house until my bed is made.

    Yah me too, I think this was just an over precautionary thing Phil just wanted to spout off - like I say, I still can't leave my bed unmade in the morning. But the one thing to point out is washing does not really get rid of those mites like you think - if at all. It is the fact the - OK kinda gross - the dead skin is washed away so they have no dinner that prevents their population. Yah I know I will be squirmy tonight

  14. #14
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    That is one of my treats to myself..... fresh sheets every day.......love em. Now I will admit to on lazy days stripping the bed throwing them in the washer and dryer and putting them back on...................saves folding a set. Hate to fold fitted sheets.

  15. #15
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Hate to fold fitted sheets.
    OMG!!!! So true I hate that, is it even possible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •