GS has brought me.... | Golden Skate

GS has brought me....

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What have you gained from being a member of GS. Knowledge, freedom, ability, friends, etc....

Sense you have been a member here, what things has it improved - your skating and knowledge, or just a place to talk about what you love...

Tell us what you love and what you have gained.:agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oooooooooo I love a good brown nosing thread ;) lol

I know what everyone will say - that I'm the best part ;) LOL Yeah, it's a modest mod's dream, eh? ;)

I've gained a lot of knowledge on the sport. I can't quote how the CoP works, but before I joined here all I could do was ramble off Scott Hamilton's bio/stats... now I can do that and so many other skaters... and my love for the sport has grown from just the professional side (which, lets face it left when the big names left) to include even the minor non-televised events in competitive skating...

I've also made some life long friends that I doubt I'd have ever met without this board/sport :)

76olympics

On the Ice
Noone in my neck of the woods cares very much about figure skating, so this is my window to the world so to speak. There is news, history, camaraderie and interesting debate here. I enjoy it very much!

Jhar55

Medalist
What GS has brought me? A place to read about skating and give a few comments. None of my friends are skating fans so I have no one to talk skating with. My poor sweetheart has learned about skating in last 2 years and watched it and will sit and listen while I talk about it and not complain. This is a man who never watched skating a day in his life. But only watched when I went to Skate America and Nationals just to see if he could see me. :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Joe is the undisputed Villain!!!!
:laugh: :agree:
Joe I really do like you and do place value on what you say, and yes sometimes I picture your twisting you mustache ends and hear a fiendish laugh,;) but I really value you and everyone here that has the guts to say something that may be taken controversial, and some how great topics, Ideas, and Points are made and no one dies! GS is a great place! NDAI!:bow:

Last edited:

Turandot

Rinkside
I really want to thank the administrators and moderators of this fs forum. I really do believe it is one of the best. I've talked on a few others and this is the only board where I don't have to like everything that an individual skater does to prove my fandom to others and it doesn't have rules I don't understand such as no avatars or posting links to video. I've finally found a place where people are, for the most part, respectful towards one another and dissension is treated as a vehicle for good discussion. Thanks, GSF!

GS is like a circle of old friends who went to Harvard together. They are erudite, witty, and courteous - old school. Not only do they know everything about skating and its history (not to mention music, and math, and photography, and ballet, and horses, and Japan, and cooking, and...) but they are cordial enough to welcome every stranger.

This group makes use of technology but never succumbs to the temptation to let anonymity become an excuse for nastiness. Even squabbles have a good measure of civility, reason, and even affection.

The admins have a very light hand which I too appreciate.

I know I can bring my dumbest questions to GS and get helpful answers, and over time I look forward to getting to know folks on the site better.

I was very surprised that my first birthday message last week was from GS! Thank you, GS!

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I like it here, because I get a good laugh from some of the silliness in the Off-Topic board. :) :agree:

And in the past year, members have been alot more sensitive about each others favorite skaters. I've seen alot less 10 page arguments that never end. Not saying that they've completely gone away.....lol :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I appreciate that most of the posters here are respectful of each other even though they might disagree on their assessments of various skaters. :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Toni is the best part of Golden Skate! That should be obvious to one and all! :yes:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heck yes I am! :rofl:

sorry I have to have an immature post once in a while or I go crazy:rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Turandot said:
I really want to thank the administrators and moderators of this fs forum. I really do believe it is one of the best. I've talked on a few others and this is the only board where I don't have to like everything that an individual skater does to prove my fandom to others and it doesn't have rules I don't understand such as no avatars or posting links to video. I've finally found a place where people are, for the most part, respectful towards one another and dissension is treated as a vehicle for good discussion. Thanks, GSF!

Well after Kwan stopped competing regularly Mathman dropped the requirement that all posters have to donate a pint of blood in her name on a regular basis.;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
Well after Kwan stopped competing regularly Mathman dropped the requirement that all posters have to donate a pint of blood in her name on a regular basis.;)
:laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

Ok, so GS has brought me ..........a new appreciation for skating. I have always like skating but never really knew the jumps or anything else for that matter. I just liked to watch their programs. Then I saw Alexei do his Man in the Iron Mask program and knew I wanted to know more. I found this site after the 2002 Olympics and I try to post daily. I read most of the technical stuff that's written here and like I said have a greater appreciation for skating. I've even had the opportunity to go to Skate Canada a couple of times. I really like everyone here and even like the big squabbles when we have them. It's a great board. I feel like I've made friends here. I think Paula likes us a lot.

Dee

Fredegunda

Rinkside
This is an interesting thread. Although I haven't been a member for very long, I would still like to add to it. I've noticed that I have gained some confidence in the validity of my opinions, that is, I am not as afraid to say something that I think might possibly offend someone. (My thesis advisor says that I should have more confidence in my conclusions and not be scared that some bogeyman academician might attack my analysis of heraldry in Arthurian literature. But I just can't get over the fact that I am only a fifth-year student and that the bogeyman could be a lifelong professor and researcher who could bash me to bits. Assuming, that is, that said bogeyman ever found out about an obscure MA thesis...well, I digress.)

Also, because I try to force myself not to solely lurk, I'm also learning to volunteer information and opinions to people whom I don't really know. This is hard for me in person, as I don't like large groups of strangers. IMO this is all possible in great part due to the civility that posters show each other here. There is a lot of patience as well as willingness to explain and give benefit of the doubt.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I like to keep up with the skating world. Although I did skate for a number of years - seems like a hundred years ago! I still love the sport and enjoy reading all the posts from people who have just discovered the joy of skating and the vets who have been connected to figure skating for quite some time. I also enjoy chatting with folks and sharing information about skating and other topics. I enjoy the Le Cafe feature as well.

At first, I used to get into some of the juicier topics and sometimes ended up getting a little frustrated, but now I avoid topics that lead no where and just stick to the lighter side of things.

I really appreciated everyone's support here at Golden Skate while I was on sick leave. It helped to know people out there (even though I've never met them) care.

Thanks GS

:clap:

Last edited: