Thread: Region Hopping

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Region Hopping

What does everyone think of region hopping?? This has been a popular topic this year.

Personally I dont like it because people in a region like the Northwest Pacific dont have the train that people on the east coast or anyother region for that matter.

Maybe the real answer is that they finally need to change the regions like they have been talking about for awhile now.

Custom Title
    This new rule was passed at 2006 USFSA Governing Council in May:
    "Region-hopping: Approved that intermediate and juvenile singles skaters not also competing in pairs or dance must compete in the region where legal residence is established or where the principle training center is located as listed on the qualifying competition entry form."

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8rBabe945
    Maybe the real answer is that they finally need to change the regions like they have been talking about for awhile now.
    It was tried not long ago (much time and energy was spent on re-drawing the regions) but the attempt failed -- unfortunately, this is a very politically charged issue.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-30-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Rinkside
    I am a skater in the Northwest Pacific region and i know for a fact that that is not stopping anyone. People are buying house in my region so they can compete there. We have years were at a certain level no one from our region makes it on, and it is not like we dont work just as hard, we just dont have the coach and facilities avaliable to us like other skaters

Custom Title
    Unfortunately, life is unfair a lot of the time and some people will "do anything to win" (including trying to qualify for Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals by region hopping).

But there ARE very good skaters who live and train in the NWP that have made it to Nationals in recent years, including two Seattle area skaters -- Joshua Farris, the 2006 Juvenile Boys champion, and Chrissy Hughes, who placed 8th at 2006 Novice Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Unfortunately, life is unfair a lot of the time and some people will "do anything to win" (including trying to qualify for Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals by region hopping).
    It's not just region hopping. It can be knee bashing. toe tapping judges, collusion of judges, Federation making last minute rules for ISU approval. You name it.

Actually, I do not approve of region hopping for an easier road to the Nats. I hope the residency rule remains and is effective.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    It's not just region hopping. It can be knee bashing. toe tapping judges, collusion of judges, Federation making last minute rules for ISU approval. You name it.

Actually, I do not approve of region hopping for an easier road to the Nats. I hope the residency rule remains and is effective.

Joe
    [BIG DEVIL'S ADVOCATE WARNING!]

Ok i can see why its unfair to people to who live in a particular region and always have, to then have others from a different region come in and beat them but equating this to the toe tapping cheating judges is insane. The cheating judges effectively threw the result of a competition by decalring that someone who didn't skate better than another skater, is in fact, the winner.

Isn't there another argument that, ok while its not desirable that someone from another region comes in and beats the locals, they still beat them on the ice and were therefore the better skater...doesn't the better skater deserve to advance to the next qualifying competition and therefore nationals? Look at the name "nationals" surely the best skaters from the country full stop should be at nationals? Aren't regionals and sectionals a way of whittling down the field so you don't have 400 novice girls turning up to nationals?

Flipping it round, why should a region with lower skating ability get to send four skaters to the next round/nationals when another four are left at home despite being abe to beat them?

Ant