Region Hopping | Golden Skate

Region Hopping

Sk8rBabe945

Spectator
What does everyone think of region hopping?? This has been a popular topic this year.

Personally I dont like it because people in a region like the Northwest Pacific dont have the train that people on the east coast or anyother region for that matter.

Maybe the real answer is that they finally need to change the regions like they have been talking about for awhile now.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
This new rule was passed at 2006 USFSA Governing Council in May:
"Region-hopping: Approved that intermediate and juvenile singles skaters not also competing in pairs or dance must compete in the region where legal residence is established or where the principle training center is located as listed on the qualifying competition entry form."

Sk8rBabe945 said:
Maybe the real answer is that they finally need to change the regions like they have been talking about for awhile now.
It was tried not long ago (much time and energy was spent on re-drawing the regions) but the attempt failed -- unfortunately, this is a very politically charged issue.

Last edited:

Sk8rBabe945

Spectator
I am a skater in the Northwest Pacific region and i know for a fact that that is not stopping anyone. People are buying house in my region so they can compete there. We have years were at a certain level no one from our region makes it on, and it is not like we dont work just as hard, we just dont have the coach and facilities avaliable to us like other skaters

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, life is unfair a lot of the time and some people will "do anything to win" (including trying to qualify for Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals by region hopping).

But there ARE very good skaters who live and train in the NWP that have made it to Nationals in recent years, including two Seattle area skaters -- Joshua Farris, the 2006 Juvenile Boys champion, and Chrissy Hughes, who placed 8th at 2006 Novice Nationals.

Sylvia said:
Unfortunately, life is unfair a lot of the time and some people will "do anything to win" (including trying to qualify for Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals by region hopping).
It's not just region hopping. It can be knee bashing. toe tapping judges, collusion of judges, Federation making last minute rules for ISU approval. You name it.

Actually, I do not approve of region hopping for an easier road to the Nats. I hope the residency rule remains and is effective.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's not just region hopping. It can be knee bashing. toe tapping judges, collusion of judges, Federation making last minute rules for ISU approval. You name it.

Actually, I do not approve of region hopping for an easier road to the Nats. I hope the residency rule remains and is effective.

Joe

[BIG DEVIL'S ADVOCATE WARNING!]

Ok i can see why its unfair to people to who live in a particular region and always have, to then have others from a different region come in and beat them but equating this to the toe tapping cheating judges is insane. The cheating judges effectively threw the result of a competition by decalring that someone who didn't skate better than another skater, is in fact, the winner.

Isn't there another argument that, ok while its not desirable that someone from another region comes in and beats the locals, they still beat them on the ice and were therefore the better skater...doesn't the better skater deserve to advance to the next qualifying competition and therefore nationals? Look at the name "nationals" surely the best skaters from the country full stop should be at nationals? Aren't regionals and sectionals a way of whittling down the field so you don't have 400 novice girls turning up to nationals?

Flipping it round, why should a region with lower skating ability get to send four skaters to the next round/nationals when another four are left at home despite being abe to beat them?

Ant

redhotcoach

On the Ice
At least some regions have a residency requirement where parents buy houses etc. in order to represent that region. Our club has skaters representing it - that neither live in the region or the same country for that matter and never set foot inside our ice rink. They take spots away from ice-buying, lesson taking skaters who support our region with both their time and money. And the argument I get from our club???? If we don't take them, then some other club will get the credit and recognition for having these skaters as a member (if the skaters make it to nationals). Is that fair to the sport?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Look at the bigger picture. The judging scandals and the public perception of unfairness in skating has cost skating popularity. Parents aren't so eager to put their kids into the sport. Those who do see these nonresident competitors come in and win regionals. They see it as cheating and don't want anything more to do with the sport. Skating loses.

We have to have rules that are fair and that count for everybody. If the outside skaters are so good, let them win against the people in their own area. They are more likely to have similar resources as the kids in their own areas, therefore the playing field is more leveled. When they go to an area in which it is easier for them to win, they are skewing the odds in their favor. That's hardly the type of competitive spirit figure skating needs to promote.

BittyBug

On the Ice
antmanb said:
Isn't there another argument that, ok while its not desirable that someone from another region comes in and beats the locals, they still beat them on the ice and were therefore the better skater...doesn't the better skater deserve to advance to the next qualifying competition and therefore nationals? Look at the name "nationals" surely the best skaters from the country full stop should be at nationals? Aren't regionals and sectionals a way of whittling down the field so you don't have 400 novice girls turning up to nationals?

Flipping it round, why should a region with lower skating ability get to send four skaters to the next round/nationals when another four are left at home despite being abe to beat them?
I thoroughly agree with you. :agree:

I think the best skaters in the world should be at World Championships but there are many held back because of volume in their home country, and who could very well beat other skaters from lesser countries.

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I think the best skaters in the world should be at World Championships but there are many held back because of volume in their home country, and who could very well beat other skaters from lesser countries.

Joe

Yes, but by letting "lesser" countries particpate, you are giving figure skating the chance to grow and develop in those countries. I don't know if you remember when China was sending it's first skaters to the Olympics and worlds. I admired their determination, but the actual skating was rather pitiful. Those Chinese skaters took spots that better skaters might have used, but I think the skates we have seen by Chinese skaters over the years has shown awarding those spots worked to figure skating's benefit.

OK then you are saying that the development of 'lesser' skaters is more important than ranking the 'true better' skaters. Am I correct?

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I am saying that skating is enriched when people from a wide variety of backgrounds are allowed to participate. I am saying that by giving skaters with less resources a chance, we aren't necessarily depriving talent. We are giving the talent in that country a chance to develop and that's good for everybody. Remember Lu Chen and S & Z?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that skaters should compete in the region where they train. If everyone wants to train with Ken Congemi, they should compete against each other for the spots.

Sk8rBabe945

Spectator
SusanBeth said:
I am saying that skating is enriched when people from a wide variety of backgrounds are allowed to participate. I am saying that by giving skaters with less resources a chance, we aren't necessarily depriving talent. We are giving the talent in that country a chance to develop and that's good for everybody. Remember Lu Chen and S & Z?

I completely agree.
I have been completing in the northwest for about 8 years and i would have to say that we are definatly approving. Look at Chrissy Hughes, she got 8th place in nationals with jumps up to triple loop then, now on triple lutz. And she is not the only one many people in our region are realizing the demands in other regions and improving. People just need to give us time and stop coming into our region

If you are coached somewhere you should represent that club and that region.

It seems a little extreme to me that parents would go out and buy a house in the Pacific Northwest just so their daughter might have a better chance of finishing third in novices.

As for the World Championships, the problem is that the event is the ISU World Championships. Each ISU member has the right to send its champion to worlds, however bad he or she may be. That is one of the perks you get when you sign up and pay your dues.

The idea of an open championship where the athletes are at center stage instead of the member federations -- that would require a complete re-thinking of what the ISU is all about.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
It seems a little extreme to me that parents would go out and buy a house in the Pacific Northwest just so their daughter might have a better chance of finishing third in novices.
You haven't been following real estate appreciation in the Pacific Northwest lately :)

Sk8rBabe945

Spectator
The house prices have been going up unless you go somewhere like montana or whyoming, but who wants to live there. And no matter where you live it is still and house and VERY expensive

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ok so if as a person you are against the idea of region hopping, where do you stand on country swapping? Surely the same principle no? Do you think Tanith Belbin should be forced to go back to Canada and skate there and make Ben Agosto find a new partner?

Or Triffun Sivanovic - if he wants to get to worlds he should beat out the male skaters at home right?

Where did you stand on the petition put in by that dance team leading up to the Olympics?

Ant

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think they should skate where they legally reside. If that is the US, then they should skate for the US. I don't care for skaters who never live or plan on living anywhere but the US, but compete for some other country because they can't make it here.