Nam and Lefteris (U.S. "IT" team?) | Golden Skate

Nam and Lefteris (U.S. "IT" team?)

Arianne

On the Ice
I just watched Nam and Lefteris' 2006 nationals programs. I really LOVE this team! I wonder if they should have been the second team that was sent to the Olympics. Anyway, I love this team's energy, speed, unision, footwork, and NNN's great flexibility. I think this team could have great international success. IMO they were highly underscored at nationals. I can't wait to see them perform this series on the GP circuit and of course at nationals. What do you think, could Nam and Lefteris give Inoue and Baldwin a run for the money?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Personally, I thought N&L were more hype than substance. Not that they weren't good, because they really are, but I think their final placements at Nationals was correct. If I&B keep consistant on the throw 3A, I don't think N&L will beat them, unless they come up with a difficult throw, too.

Arianne

On the Ice
I can't remember; who placed 3rd at nationals? Anyway, N/L need to also add a double axel to their routine and perhaps another triple jump. Technically, they need to bring up their game, but I think they have the beginnings of a great team.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
remember, they did not get any credit for the final lift - she did a very difficult split, but he held her at the hips not the waist (I think that's how it went). Otherwise they could've possibly be 4th or 3rd. I think there was a lot of hype since NNN was gone from the Nationals for 5 years. I think there is a lot of promise, especially with the #2 -#4 finishers being retired.

But both Vise sisters and partners looked really good too, so apart from I&B, it's an open field!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hinzman & Parchem placed second, Orscher and Lucash third (on the basis of the best SP + 4th best LP), Scott & Fein fourth, and Nam and Leftheris 5th.

H&P, O&L and S&F have all retired.

Here's what N&L's 2006 programs consisted of:

SP (3rd Place)

3T
3STh
2Tw4
FiDs4
CCoSp2
3Li3
PCoSp3
CiSt2

LP
3Tw2
3T+2T
3STh
5SLi3
FiDs4
CCoSp2
2LoTh
3Li (illegal lift)
BiDs1
SpSt2
2F (this was what they attempted to do, it's not a downgrade)
3Li3
SlSt1
PCoSp3
Total base score: 45.4

Their best elements were their twists, where they got a level 4 in the short program due to Naomi's ability to get a full 180 degree split. They also had a triple twist last year.

Their second throw needs to be beefed up. (loop or flip throw)
Their single SBS jump should be more difficult than a double flip.

They lost all credit for an upside down lift that was illegal, AFAIR, not because she was upside down, but because his hand was not in a legal position.

Their triple toes were just fine. They got +1 GOE on the 3T2T combination.

I would say they were a very good first year pair, and I expect them to improve their weaknesses. I wouldn't have placed them differently than they were placed. Scott and Fein had a very interesting LP which placed 3rd in the LP.

If I&B remain consistent on the axel throw and keep landing the 3T's as they did in the long at Worlds and the short at 4CC's, they should be able to keep their US title. They are very strong on spin and footwork, slightly less so on spirals, and they have been getting level 4 on their lifts. Their 2A 2A seq has essentially the same base value as N&L's 3T2T combo, and I&B do that well. Their weakest skills are the twists and the inconsistency on the 3T's at this time. However, if they insiste on going for some kind of quad throw, as Oppegard hinted they might, they might lose.

Heck, anyone can always lose, and they aren't the world's most consistent skaters.

Arianne

On the Ice
Doris, your post made sense. Thanks for the analysis. Unfortunately, I missed most of pairs coverage (that which I got...) from this past year.

rjulie510

Rinkside
I'm a NNN fan so I know I'm biased, but I really liked NNNTL at Nationals last year. Remember, that was Naomi's first Pairs season ever, and Themi's first Senior Paris season ever. Considering that and lack of time they had together, they did better than what most people expected.

They showed that "spark" that I really don't see from other American pairs. They were rough around edges and need upgrades on technical part, but overall what an amazing start for a young team. They're the future of American pairs.

Their unison on 3T-2T combination is impeccable, and they had good twist and pairs spin as well. I agree their second Throw and solo Jump need to be upgraded, but I think there is URGENT need to work on their SBS spin. Everyone KNOWS Naomi is a great spinner, so Themi has a work cut out for him to improve position and speed on his spins.

I'm VERY happy USFSA invited them to Skate America. It will be interesting to see how International Judges see them.

They were/are a good team to keep tabs on. Their level of skating is at the senior level which I found amazing since they had just teamed up. BTW, that illegal lift was a big crowd pleaser and will be this season once the error is corrected.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
rjulie510 said:
Remember, that was Naomi's first Pairs season ever, and Themi's first Senior Paris season ever.
It was the 2nd Senior pairs season for Themi Leftheris -- he placed 13th with Julian Burns at 2005 Nationals (they both landed sbs triple toe and sal in the FS).

DORISPULASKI said:
I would say they [Nam/Leftheris] were a very good first year pair, and I expect them to improve their weaknesses. I wouldn't have placed them differently than they were placed. Scott and Fein had a very interesting LP which placed 3rd in the LP.
I happen to agree with Doris about the final placements at Nationals -- Scott & Fein performed an impressive and creative free skate, and it's too bad it wasn't televised so that more fans could have seen it.

FYI, Leftheris wrote a short journal entry earlier this month on their official site that mentions their new SP music:
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/nam-leftheris/journal.html

I wonder if Nam/Leftheris will compete/show their new program(s) before Skate America? The Indy Challenge pairs competition is coming up in Indianapolis in mid-August and there's also Golden West in Culver City, Calif. the first weekend in September. We shall see...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am excited that the US has a new and upcoming Pair in NNN/Leftheris, because Inoue/Baldwin probably will retire at the end of this season. However, I disagree that I/B will lose Nationals if they go for a quad throw, or that they are inconsistent skaters. I/B have performed very consistently last season and did well in all their international competitions. They won silver at Skate America, were 4th at TEB, and were the first alternate for the GPF. They went on to win 4CC, finish 7th at Torino and 4th at Worlds. I/B have always performed well internationally---it was Orscher/Lucash who were the inconsistent team, performing well at Nationals but generally bombing in the GP and falling behind I/B at Worlds, year after year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dancindiva03 said:
Personally, I thought N&L were more hype than substance.

you weren't the only one. They are a great looking couple... but I felt their skating was simple looking... Heaven knows I could never do anything they're capable of, but I was really hoping for something to really blow me away after everyone was gushing over them and I wasn't as impressed as many around me lol

I think Marcy and Aaron deserved their placement... even though it was so very hard to watch Katie & Garrett lose their chance...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
chuckm, I&B and O&L were like bad mirror images of each other. I&B would skate poorly at nationals and O&L would skate poorly in the Grand Prix. I prefer (and have long preferred) I&B. But I'd have to say that both pairs were inconsistent, I&B less so. And this last year was so wonderful for I&B. :rock: :rock: I was so thrilled for them.

The question that the original poster asked was could N&L beat I&B at Nationals. And given that I&B have always skated (well since 2004 anyway) some of their worst programs of the year at Nationals (this year their SP was their worst), it's an outside possibility, particularly if they try a quad throw, since that is such a risky move, and a fall on it can so damage a skater that they have trouble with the rest of the program. Rena is such a trooper though! If anyone can skate great after a huge fall with blood on the ice, it's Rena. :clap: :clap:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
The question that the original poster asked was could N&L beat I&B at Nationals.
Well they did last year at Nationals... in the SP! ;)

pairfan

Rinkside
dancindiva03 said:
Personally, I thought N&L were more hype than substance. Not that they weren't good, because they really are, but I think their final placements at Nationals was correct.

I couldn't agree more!! This team is being hyped so much! It'll be just like when Don/Hunt were suppose to be the "IT" team to watch. I think they have some nice elements but they need time to be a GREAT team.

pairfan said:
I couldn't agree more!! This team is being hyped so much! It'll be just like when Don/Hunt were suppose to be the "IT" team to watch. I think they have some nice elements but they need time to be a GREAT team.
It will be their second year together. Those teams that dropped out during the past year will be missed. I liked all of them. Some of them were first year teams also.

So without thinking of favorites, and with so many potentials no longer in the running, I would say the podium will be I&B and who else???

BTW. What is so wrong about hype?? Is hype the reason some skaters can not fulfil their dreams?

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
chuckm, I&B and O&L were like bad mirror images of each other. I&B would skate poorly at nationals and O&L would skate poorly in the Grand Prix. I prefer (and have long preferred) I&B. But I'd have to say that both pairs were inconsistent, I&B less so. And this last year was so wonderful for I&B. :rock: :rock: I was so thrilled for them.

The question that the original poster asked was could N&L beat I&B at Nationals. And given that I&B have always skated (well since 2004 anyway) some of their worst programs of the year at Nationals (this year their SP was their worst), it's an outside possibility, particularly if they try a quad throw, since that is such a risky move, and a fall on it can so damage a skater that they have trouble with the rest of the program. Rena is such a trooper though! If anyone can skate great after a huge fall with blood on the ice, it's Rena. :clap: :clap:

Well they can put the quad as the first element, if she falls on it, she could just skate around shaking it off for 5 or 10 minutes and then carry on with the rest of the program...they could easliy get silver medals!!!

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Somehow I think that the clause about penalties for long interruptions will actually be enforced the next time something like that happens!