chocolate cake recipe anyone? | Golden Skate

chocolate cake recipe anyone?

Fredegunda

Rinkside
This is a weird place to post something like this, but here goes. I am looking for a basic chocolate cake recipe. Preferably not Wacky Cake (I don't like the texture) and one that uses oil instead of butter, as well as cocoa powder rather than solid chocolate. I've been looking online - allrecipes and chefs.com, etc. - but can't seem to find anything that's got good ratings and seems simple. If you have a "tried, tested, and true" recipe, that would be great. Thanks a lot in advance!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I use the one on the Hershey box. It is really good and have lots of compliments on it. I had tried all kinds and this one "takes the cake".

If you can't find it , let me know and I can publish it here.

:rofl:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I posted a couple of chocolate cake recipes over in the Recipes2 thread too.I

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I noticed Fredegunda, you are from Batavia

Maybe this conversion will help, serves 12

INGREDIENTS:
400 g white sugar
220 g all-purpose flour
60 g HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
5 g baking powder
5 g baking soda
5 g salt
2 eggs
235 ml milk
120 ml vegetable oil
10 ml vanilla extract
235 ml boiling water

115 g butter
55 g HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
360 g confectioners' sugar
80 ml milk
5 ml vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 176 C. Grease and flour two 23 cm round baking pans.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.
To make "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting: Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
One Pan Cake: Grease and flour 33x23x5-cm baking pan. Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I know this isn't what you're looking for, since it's not an actual recipe, but rather a recipe I've been trying to recreate....
It's from an 'American' cookbook, published in Germany (musta been in the '70's), and it was for a "3-layer chocolate cake".
The result was almost more like a candy bar or fudge brownie rather than a cake, it was EXTREMLY rich and moist, and one slice could easily put an end to the practices of any diabetic.....;)
It had something along the lines of a pound each of butter, sugar, flour and chocolate, IIRC also copious amounts of eggs, so anyone on a diet would be well advised to not even smell this thing......
You made 3 layers (hence the name), which were glued together with an absolutely divine chocolate/sour creme frosting, and topped with same plus walnut halves.
Had to be kept in the fridge, because it did have a little bit of a tendency to go moldy, being so very moist and all.
Probably a 'southern' recipe, I've been close in some of my recreation attempts, but my schedule as of late hasn't allowed me much time in the kitchen.
If this rings a bell with anyone, and you have the actual recipe, PLEASE let me know! :)

childfreegirl

Final Flight
This is the one I use. It turns out incredibly moist and I've had soooo many compliments on it. If I take any other kind of cake to a function where cake is taken, I am asked why I didn't make this one instead.

Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients first. Once the mixture is even, mix in wet ingredients. Continue mixing until you obtain an even batter (no lumps). Pour into a cake pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes.

Serves: 12

Preparation time: 15 min

I frost it with a soy milk and margerine version of buttercream frosting (with cocoa, of course). It's quite yummy too.

Fredegunda

Rinkside
Thanks everyone! These sound great and I'm really excited to try them. My b/f and I are chocolate addicts.

Seanibu, thank you for your conversion of the recipe. Actually I grew up in North America so I tend to use cups and teaspoons, etc., but I do like is to measure butter by weight these days. Butter unfortunately doesn't come in half-cup sticks here the way it does in the US...

I ended up e-mailing my mom for her recipe too, so figured that I'd post it here in case anyone else wants a cake recipe.

Lee's Chocolate Cake (Lee is the mom of my best friend, from whom we got this recipe)

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda

Mix together above and beat in:

1 c buttermilk (i use regular, add about 1 tsp
vinegar, let stand, then stir)
3/4 c salad oil
2 etggs
1 tsp vanilla

Bake 325F in a tube pan for around 45-55 min or until