Thread: 2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

Hybrid View

2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

Who will keep your interest?

Will Kimmie, Mao and Rochette?

Will Evan, Johnny, Stephane, Brian, Jeffrey and Takehashi?

Will lesser Russian skaters keep you interested in Pairs and Dance?

Is there anything special you are looking forward to in the upcoming season?

Joe

Medalist
    Have NNNTL improved technically? How will they received by international judges in Skate America?

How would Yu-Na Kim do in Senior Circuit? Would she be able to hold her own and challenge for top spots? How would she score compare to Mao and Kimmie, for example?

Will Johnny Weir finally put it together when it counts?

I hope Chris Mabee has a great season. I loved his free skate at 4CC.

Dube & Davison were so impressive at last season's Skate America & beyond. I'm pulling for them too.

I will be watching the men this season. With no Michelle, Sasha or Irina IMO the men's field will be much more exciting and interesting than the ladies. Right now I do not have any favorites among the current crop of lady newbies but that may change at the end of next season.

Banned
    I'm looking foward to watching the ladies without Kwan and Cohen this year! Don't get me wrong, I love Kwan, but with these two out, we will get to see more of skaters that we wouldn't have otherwise. But, somehow I think we'll have to sit through a bit of Kwan/Cohen fluff anyway. Still, I'm excited to see the other US ladies. I hope without Cohen we won't have to hear Dick and Peggy trying to tell us that no ones layback and spirals can compare to Sasha's, and that they realize that they are all individual skaters, not a colony of Cohen clones, that they don't all have to be just like her to be good.

Medalist
    I love Kimmie, and will be interested in watching her progress.

Custom Title

Season without Kwan/Cohen

I will miss both Kwan and Cohen tremendously. They both added something so special and unique to competitions.

I will be interesed to watch Kimmie defend her World title this year. It will be very telling about her future and whether she can handle being the chased. I'm also very interested to see how Asada and Kim will perform.

I would love to see Ben and Tanith's new programs and it will be fun to see how they perform this year.

Will Johnny Weir finally live up to his ability? If only he would concentrate more on skating and less on his personal dramas. An improvement in costumes would also help but that's probably too much to hope for at this point.

Dizzy

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I am looking forward as always to a new season and to new talent as well as the seasoned vets who are still hanging in there. Of coures, I am really looking forward to seeing the Canadian team as it is building new champions. It always takes awhile for the new team to gel. We are spoiled here in Canada - some great skaters have come and gone, but there is always the new kids on the block waiting their turn! Can't wait!!!

Oh yea, your question - no I will not miss Kwan or Cohen - they are only two skaters of a miriad of skaters.

Custom Title
    Kwan and Cohen will be missed, not merely because of what they bring to the ice, but also for their personalities. I don't think any other skater will be able to duplicate that aspect of their popularity, as there is so much less interest in skating than there used to be that there isn't the same sense of "getting to know them".

What I really am curious about next season is whether the Kwan/Cohen mentions can be restricted to the "fluff", or if Dick (for Michelle) and Peggy (for Sasha) will be comparing all other skaters to their "fave" (unfavorably, of course). I will settle, though, if Peggy stops jinxing skaters.

Custom Title

Pairs

NNNTL will have my attention this year. I love this pair. Also following Jennifer Don in defending her championship & competeing internationally.

Custom Title
    I'm actually really excited about skating this year. I'll miss Michelle a lot. But there are still so many great skaters competing.

It's definitely a "passing of the guard" moment in ladies' skating. Irina, Michelle, Sasha, and Shizuka have dominated for so long now (especially Michelle and Irina). To have them all leave at once is definitely a huge change. But I am so excited about the new ladies coming up. I personally think Kimmie is great. It was such a thrill watching her at Worlds last year, and it will be exciting to see her defend her title. And then there's Mao Asada. It's too soon to know, but I feel like she has the potential to be that amazing, once-in-a-generation champion that we haven't seen emerge in ladies' skating since, well, Michelle burst onto the scene in 1995/1996. And in addition to Kimmie and Mao--which could become one of the all-time great rivalries in ladies' skating--there's also Yu-Na Kim, Yukari Nakano, Alissa Czisny, Kira Korpii, Elene Gedevashvili, Katy Taylor, Joannie Rochette, and (hopefully?) Cynthia Phaneuf in the mix. An exciting group of ladies in my opinion.

There will be less change in the other divisions, but still a lot of interest, I think. On the men's side, the depth of talent is incredible. And if Johnny can start to really focus, well . . . I'll be on the edge of my seat. In dance, there are also so many great teams, especially Tanith & Ben and Dubreuil & Lauzon. I can't wait to see more of them, and also the young American dance teams coming up, especially Matthews & Zavozin. And finally, in pairs, my hopes are high that Shen & Zhao will come back and have one final amazing season. I would so love to see them win Worlds again.

I think it's going to be a good year!