Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I like all the fields, so I won't be too sad about Sasha not being there. I just hope she comes back.

For the ladies, I'll be rooting for Alissa Czisny, the most this season. I'll still be pulling for Stephane Lambiel. Hoping for the up and coming pairs will be fun. And whoever brings IT in Ice Dance, will have my "vote".

Custom Title
    I have watched figure skating years before Kwan (or Cohen) came onto the scene, and hope to watch it years after Kwan eventually leaves the eligible skating.... There always are plenty of skaters to keep me interested. Besides, for years the men´s skating has been a lot more interesting than that of ladies, generally speaking. There are some really interesting newcomers in ladies discipline though.

From male skaters Lysacek, Lambiel, Buttle, Oda, Weir, Sandhu and Takahashi (among many, many others) will keep me really interested. I hope that Sandhu will conquer his demons one day and that Weir will speak less and deliver more.

Go NJ Devils
    Some of my favorite Ladies, like Rochette and Poykio are still competiting, and I want to see how Meissner and Korpi develop this year, if Ando can regain her form and confidence, and if Martinova will improve. I'm curious to see what will happen to Leung, who appears to be coachless, at least one with credentials, and if Kim blossoms in the senior ranks.

Most of the usual suspects are competing among the men. I can't wait to see the programs. Among the pairs, I will miss T&M, but I look forward to seeing Dube/Davidson and Nari Nam/Leftheris develop, and I hope Morozov heals and is in shape, because I think that Volosozhar is one of the best women in pairs today. This is the last year that Zagorska/Siudek will skate, and I hope to be in Warsaw to see them in their home town. I hope they're both healthy and in great form this year, their second season under Gaulthier. For dance, I think US Nationals are going to be tough. I'm getting depressed in advance of Delobel/Schoenfelder not getting respect, again. (It's hard being a fan of Del/Sch's and Pet/Tik's.)

Custom Title
    I will miss Michelle dearly but she has given me many moments to keep me proud. I am excited to see if Kimmie and Mao can keep the momentum going and if Katy and Yu-na live up to the hype.

I want to see if Belbin and Agosto can continue to shine or have they already peaked.Can Denkova and Stayviski stay on top? Will the sentimental favorites Drobiazko and Vanagas finally get the marks they deserve?

Is Evan ready for the big time? Can Johnny fulfill his potential? Will Joubert finally come up with a good program? Will Oda mature? Can Takahashi and Buttle hold it together?

Can Shen/Zhao reach the top again? Will the judges appreciate Pang and Tong? Can the Zhangs develop artistically? Will we finally see an American team on the world podium again? Will we ever see the throw triple axel again? Can Nam and Letheris live up to our hopes?

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    You know, I remember back in the Olden Days (hold on, let me move my cane out of the way so I can type correctly ), when EVERY post-Olympic year was missing MOST of the top people in ALL categories, thus leaving the podiums open to the also-rans of the previous couple of years. And I for one miss those days, it made the Post-Olympic year so much more exciting. But since no-one seems to move on after the Olys anymore, I guess it is a big deal that we're actually going to be missing not just one, but two, of the top ladies next year. (Tho Kwan was hardly around much LAST season, so we kind of got warmed up for that, I suppose.)

As to what I'm looking forward to in the coming season -- well, nothing specific. I just want to see it unfold. I would, however, like to see Beatrisa Liang finally get her due. IMHO, with both Michelle and Sasha out, we are going to see a real depth problem among the US ladies, unless a few people have gotten better since last season. Kimmie gets better all the time, I think Beatrisa is terrific, and I like Alissa (tho her jumping skills scare me). Beyond that -- I hate to say it, but I find all the other US ladies dull. I mean DULL. (Except for Rosenthal, but I don't think she has a realistic chance of really getting anywhere unless her jump repertoire increases tremendously.). I'd love to see Angela make a comeback, but I'm afraid she's gone through way too much and it's way too late. I hope I'm WAY WAY WRONG about that, but I just have a feeling it's not gonna happen.

I agree with those who said that the men's field will be the most exciting this season. I will be be looking to see if Joubert can maintain a consistent challenge to Lambiel, and I really look forward to some good Weir versus Lysacek battles.

Too bad men's figure skating is not as popular with the general public as ladies'. If it were, they could revive the cheesefests by featuring the top men.

I think I will pay more attention to the junior grand prix contests this year. Who knows what could happen in the next two or three years?

In dance, go Meryl Davis and Charlie White!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    In dance, go Meryl Davis and Charlie White!MM
    In Pairs - Dube and Davison.

Medalist
    For me, its all about the ladies of Team Japan. I love them all.

Custom Title
    I have never really liked Michelle (please don't kill me), so I'm quite glad to be rid of her. Sasha, I will miss. But I think it's nice that they're gone, so that new talents can have a chance.
    I'm hoping to see more of Sarah Meier. I really thought she did well this season.

And I am skipping at the thought of not having to sit through Plushy. I liked his exhibition-programs (but "sex-bomb" did get a bit lame there towards the end), but I have always hated his comp-ones.
    Sorry people, but I just don't like him. Looking forward to more Brian and hopefully for Stefan Lindemann to get his act together and overcome those nerves.

Custom Title
    It's definitely all the japanese skaters I'll be looking out for. They're all great, and I would so love for Fumie suguri to have a great season and win the worlds, it's not very likely, but you can always hope, right?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Kimmie gets better all the time, I think Beatrisa is terrific, and I like Alissa (tho her jumping skills scare me).
    It remains to be seen whether Ilia Kulik was able to help Alissa´s jumping in Toronto seminar:

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=209

I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she also got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-03-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.
    That is a good sign. When she spoke during the seminar, it sounded as if she needed some time to come to grips with what he was telling her about jump technique.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana

I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.
    I hope so, too, tho IMO it doesn't seem to be as much a technique thing (tho that could certainly be improved) as a MENTAL thing, and Kulik is no psychologist.....

I'm looking forward to following all the US men just as I've done in past years.

Thanks for the Kulic link, Jaana. We just may have a more determined Alissa this coming season. With a background of coaches, Kulic and Orsa and a choreograher like Wilson. she should be coming on strong.

Joe

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast