Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Results 91 to 102 of 102

Thread: 2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

  1. #91
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Sasha can not afford to lose again to Kimmie. There is pressure for her to go into the Nationals.
    I'm confused by this statement... Is it that Sasha not afford to lose to Kimmie? Or that Sasha cannot afford another major lost period?

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Sasha can not afford to lose again to Kimmie. There is pressure for her to go into the Nationals.
    Seems to me the pressure is for Sasha NOT to go to Nationals, if she "cannot afford to lose again to Kimmie". Sasha has been skating all summer in COI, while Kimmie has made only a few COI appearances on the East Coast, and is deeply into practicing her new programs. Sasha has said she wanted to take a year off, so there ARE no new programs for her.

    Don't expect to see Sasha at Nationals.

  3. #93
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    To me, Cohen seems burned out, which is a good reason in itself to take time off.

    Whether she's taking this into consideration actively or it will be an added benefit of time off, she's leaving the field to Meissner, Kim, Asada and co. to duke it out over the next year, and she'll see where the dust settles.

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    I think it's a fine idea for Sasha to take the year off. I had no objections to Michelle taking it easy after the 2002 Olympics for similar reasons that Sasha is probably thinking of-injuries started to creep up, burned out from competition (although back then Michelle competed in 7 events, minus Cheesefests, that year, compared to Sasha's 4), lots of post Olympic opportunities, LONG COI tour that was not shortened like this year's has been, and just the disappointment/stress that occured over the Olympic season for many reasons.

    But just like Michelle was advised back then to not completely take the year off because it would be that much more difficult to get back, I believe it will be hard for Sasha to return after a full season away.

    But time will tell!

  5. #95
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    If Sasha has no intention of upping her technical, then there is no danger in her taking a year off. She won't lose her wow moves and spins. Just skating around once a week will be plenty to keep in shape.

    Joe

  6. #96
    Custom Title Lonewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    But just like Michelle was advised back then to not completely take the year off because it would be that much more difficult to get back, I believe it will be hard for Sasha to return after a full season away. But time will tell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If Sasha has no intention of upping her technical, then there is no danger in her taking a year off. She won't lose her wow moves and spins. Just skating around once a week will be plenty to keep in shape.
    I agree that taking a full year off will make it more difficult to come back, especially if she wants to up her technical ability. But as Joe stated, “she won’t lose her wow moves and spins” by skating once a week, however IMO, if she has this attitude, it will be much harder for her to beat Kimmie, Mao Asado and Yu Na Kim when she does come back.

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,265
    Sasha certainly was not in control of her jumps at Olympics and Worlds, and to say she could 'stay in competitive shape' by just skating around the rink a couple of times a week is ridiculous. Sasha needed WORK on those jumps, as shown by her performances this season. She won't be doing much work on anything related to skating, and what usually happens when skaters slack off is that the problems that were there before are worse.

    It will take a tremendous effort to go from virtually no skating to a heavy practice schedule, and considering her delicate back, there is danger of Sasha overdoing and incurring further injury. Moreover, she probably will not be able to go back to Nicks as a coach. That won't help her either.

  8. #98
    I should be studying!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Moreover, she probably will not be able to go back to Nicks as a coach.
    Why??

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace
    Why??
    Rumor has it he may retire. He was semi-retired when Sasha returned to him, so in a year, he may just call it quits. He's been around a lllooonnnggg time!

  10. #100
    Da' Spellin' Homegirl Grgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,144
    He's the only coach to seem to have got through to her. Maybe he would take her on for awhile and see what happens. ???

  11. #101
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    He's the only coach to seem to have got through to her. Maybe he would take her on for awhile and see what happens. ???
    They seem made for each other as I can tell. Their personalities seem to mesh.

    A little off topic.
    When did Sasha stop doing the "splits spin" - for a finish move?

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    They seem made for each other as I can tell. Their personalities seem to mesh.

    A little off topic.
    When did Sasha stop doing the "splits spin" - for a finish move?
    Probably just for GBA! I thought she ended both SP and LP this year with it??? Maybe I'm wrong...since it seems like every program ends with that same old, spin, I always thought,"Sheesh, can she possible chnage the ending just once?!" Then the 1st version of R&J (at Campbells, maybe GP in France) ended with a fizzled out beillmann, and I found myself thinking,"something is missing, hate the ending...bring back I-spin!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •