2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

Still...I am already missing Michelle like the Dickens. However accomplished the athletes of the future may turn out to be, I do not expect to see another that I will have such an emotional investment in.

Mathman said:
Still...I am already missing Michelle like the Dickens. However accomplished the athletes of the future may turn out to be, I do not expect to see another that I will have such an emotional investment in.
Not surprising. One does have strong feelings for an all-time favorite.

The only one close to John Curry, for me, was Kurt Browning. I don't want to hear about Quads. Those two were about freestyle figure skating.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Shout out for John Curry! The more I have found out about him, the more it seems he was very instrumental in keeping or increasing the "dance" involved in FS. Thank you JC:bow:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
I'm sure any consistent, artistic skater who skates from the heart, connects with the audience and becomes a constant face at the top of podiums, Dick will start saying,"Shades of Michelle Kwan." I imagine also that when skaters like Caroline Zhang, come up to Seniors with supreme flexibility and wonderful spins, we'll get,"Shades of Sasha Cohen."

And with them both gone, who, oh, WHO, in his mind, is going to have THE spiral to compare others' to? When Bobek was still around, everyone who came out, "Oh, her spiral is not nearly as good as Bobek's". Then it "wasn't nearly as good as Michelle's", then when Michelle cut back her schedule, "it wasn't nearly as good as Sasha's". Kind of like with the pairs -- every non Chinese pair who does a twist or a throw, "Well, that's not NEARLY as high as the Chinese.".........:laugh:

MKFSfan

Medalist
In the US, the standard for spirals will be Alissa Czisny for now, (I'd imagine we'd still hear references to Sasha/Michelle's in the meantime) although I'm not crazy with the angle of her free leg position on the abrasque spiral. She seems to be even more flexible than Sasha, so my guess is if she can work on some of her positions, and her hip angle for the abrasque more, she will be just as impressive. If you look back at Sasha when she first started in Sr's, she had all the flexibility in the world, but didn't hold some positions long enough, didn't have deep edges, good ice coverage or speed, so it was more "wow look at her flexibility!" than "wow, look at that spiral!" I already think Alissa's the best US ladies spinner, probably ever.

Then, in a couple of seasons, if all goes well, we'll have Caroline Zhang, who from the clips I've seen has one of the best spiral sequences compared to many elite seniors.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Unfortunately given Dick Buttons' age he may no longer be with us to shout out "Shades of Michelle Kwan" or "Shades of Sasha Cohen". If we look back at MK and SC careers they are leaving some pretty big skates to fill. So sad an end of an era but sometimes change is good. I will have to wait and see
maybe I will be suprised.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Hey! I'm the same age as Dick and there's still plenty of spunk left in us.
When you get our age, it ain't as old as you think.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's a given that no skater or athlete can dominate forever. At some point there has to be a departure and then a changing of the guard. Sad for most of those in the situation but necessary. Besides, there's always the next "big thing" to look forward to. No tears or sadness on this end, but then again I wasn't a fan of either of them.

ladybug

On the Ice
Mathman said:

Oh Mathman, I totally agree 100%. If Michelle does not continue skating in some fashion or finds something else to be passionate about, I don't know if my Husband and I will have any breakfast table conversation of interest. This season has been so sad without her.

Ladybug

I don't think it is sad for an athlete to retire from competion.especially if the athlete has a chestful of awards and titles. The athlete understands the aging process and accepts it as we all have to do.

An avid fan of an athlete may feel sad about his favorite retiring.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
With two of my favorite ladies "on the shelf" so to speak, I'm focusing on the men's event.........Johnny my current fav for the guys.............42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think the sad thing about Michelle's "retirement" (if in fact she is or will retire soon) -- and I think I speak for many -- is not necessarily the fact that she is moving on, or will, because we all expected that someday. It's the way she's gone out of the sport, so to speak. You look at that career, you look at those performances (most of them, anyway), and it's a shame that if she were to retire tomorrow, given her last couple of seasons, it would be like she just kind of faded away -- as opposed to going out in a more spectacular fashion (i.e, winning that 10th National, or the Worlds again, or the OGM) that would certainly be a more appropriate way to end such a spectacular "eligible" career.

ladybug

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't think it is sad for an athlete to retire from competion.especially if the athlete has a chestful of awards and titles. The athlete understands the aging process and accepts it as we all have to do.

An avid fan of an athlete may feel sad about his favorite retiring.

Joe

Michelle worked her butt off last season and as a result she was not able to compete at all. If she had planned retirement last year, I would be fine with that but I think the way things went, it was sad for Michelle as well as all her fans.

Such a stellar career and she wasn't able to give us and herself one last skate of a lifetime which she worked darn hard to do.

Ladybug

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Kathy said:
Skating without Michelle? well it will never be the same for me. I miss her terribly. I'll watch as a casually interested fan, and be open to another skater snatching my interest, but it was Michelle who elevated my interest in skating from casual observer to someone immersed in the sport, and in her absence my enthusiasm will definitely wane. I think the difference is that there are many fans that are or were fans of figure skating period, and for those skating goes on its way as skaters age and the young ones take over - and I think that is great. But there are many like me who were drawn into figure skating by Michelle, and though I have gained a fondness of the sport through her that will never die, it was her presence that defined my rather obsessive enthusiam over the last several years, and it just won't be there without her. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be such a fan that I would spend thousands of dollars to fly cross country to watch figure skating events I would have thought you were crazy, but that is what I did to watch Michelle compete. Now I'll watch on TV, it will take someone amazing to raise my interest to that level. That said, there are interesting skaters on the horizon and it will be interesting to see what develops.

ITA Kathy... I simply cannot muster a lot of interest in the sport anymore... I liken in to other pro sports... one can either be a fan of baseball or one can be a fan of the Yankees... I'm a Yankee fan... and without skating's version of Derek Jeter, then I'll go back to be a casual fan... And hope that someone or something sparks my interest enough to back to uber status ~ but right now? Please. I'd rather watch the X games...

soogar

Record Breaker
ladybug said:
Such a stellar career and she wasn't able to give us and herself one last skate of a lifetime which she worked darn hard to do.

Ladybug

Well she had won 2003 Worlds and her 9th Nationals a few years ago. Maybe that was where she was supposed to end. She has had a lot of "skate of a lifetimes" in her career.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I always thought 2003 was the end of her prime. Onwards it was just a downhill ride, and unfortunately for her it must end like this.

soogar said:
Well she had won 2003 Worlds and her 9th Nationals a few years ago...
She won her ninth nationals in 2005. That was so close to the Olympic year that it probably encouraged her to push herself for a final hurrah.

It didn't work out. But like the Wayne Gretsky quote that some one here has in their signature, "you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take."

This way she has no regrets. She did 100% of what her body physically allowed her to do. :love:

Red Dog said:
I always thought 2003 was the end of her prime. Onwards it was just a downhill ride, and unfortunately for her it must end like this.
So sad. She cries all the way to the bank and is still raking it in despite the injuries.