2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

I agree with those who said that the men's field will be the most exciting this season. I will be be looking to see if Joubert can maintain a consistent challenge to Lambiel, and I really look forward to some good Weir versus Lysacek battles.

Too bad men's figure skating is not as popular with the general public as ladies'. If it were, they could revive the cheesefests by featuring the top men.

I think I will pay more attention to the junior grand prix contests this year. Who knows what could happen in the next two or three years?

In dance, go Meryl Davis and Charlie White!

MM :)

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
I have never really liked Michelle (please don't kill me), so I'm quite glad to be rid of her. Sasha, I will miss. But I think it's nice that they're gone, so that new talents can have a chance.
I'm hoping to see more of Sarah Meier. I really thought she did well this season.

And I am skipping at the thought of not having to sit through Plushy. I liked his exhibition-programs (but "sex-bomb" did get a bit lame there towards the end), but I have always hated his comp-ones.
Sorry people, but I just don't like him. Looking forward to more Brian and hopefully for Stefan Lindemann to get his act together and overcome those nerves.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
It's definitely all the japanese skaters I'll be looking out for. They're all great, and I would so love for Fumie suguri to have a great season and win the worlds, it's not very likely, but you can always hope, right?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
JonnyCoop said:
Kimmie gets better all the time, I think Beatrisa is terrific, and I like Alissa (tho her jumping skills scare me).

It remains to be seen whether Ilia Kulik was able to help Alissa´s jumping in Toronto seminar:

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209

I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she also got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.
That is a good sign. When she spoke during the seminar, it sounded as if she needed some time to come to grips with what he was telling her about jump technique.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
I hope that short time was enough. It was mentioned in the article though that she got some private tutoring from Ilia after the seminar.

I hope so, too, tho IMO it doesn't seem to be as much a technique thing (tho that could certainly be improved) as a MENTAL thing, and Kulik is no psychologist.....

Thanks for the Kulic link, Jaana. We just may have a more determined Alissa this coming season. With a background of coaches, Kulic and Orsa and a choreograher like Wilson. she should be coming on strong.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
I don't really pay much attention to individual men, pairs or dance. I just watch and what I like is what I root for. So...

I'm definitely excited to see what the new faces of ladies skating will bring. I will miss Michelle Vs Irina, plus seeing what Shizuka and Sasha could do (if they all do retire, that is!). Michelle Vs Irina was really something to me, as it was a constant for years. I am another fan very proud of the many wonderful moments Michelle has shared with FS and if this is the end, it's OK. Every season for the better part of 10 years, I've only looked forward to what Michelle would do, what music she chose and what her dress would look like. This season, I'm approaching it very differently! I just wish we could've seen TT's programs for Michelle!

That said, Kimmie Vs Katy, Alissa, Bebe and Emily is something I want to see develop from the get go. I put Kimmie Vs the rest of the US ladies since she is the reining World Champ. and National Silver Medalist. I think heading into this season, there is no clear winner/favorite (although Kimmie does have an edge), so this is the time for any one to lay down their challenge.

I am very interested to see more of Mao, Yu Na, Sarah and Elene and see how our US ladies fare against them.

Then you add the veterans to the mix-for me, it's Joannie, Fumie and Elena.

Oh-and I really hope to see more youtube recordings of Caroline Zhang!

Wow...after reading what I wrote, I'm excited for the new season!

jesslily

Final Flight
For US Nationals, without Michelle and Sasha, it certainly will let people feel empty, I don't know if any new face can replace the chrisma and impact of these two ladies. For Worlds, I think it will give Fumie S. Jonnie R. and the two young ladies Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada more opportunity to show their talent.

Spiral is one of most important elements for ladies' skating. Without a good spiral in ladies' skating is similar to without jumps in man's skating.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks for the Kulic link, Jaana. We just may have a more determined Alissa this coming season. With a background of coaches, Kulic and Orsa and a choreograher like Wilson. she should be coming on strong.

Joe

I agree. If Alissa can get her jump technique consistent she will have
the goods to definitely be in the mix with the very talented newbies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
as far as ladies goes I think the dust has to settle first. GP series will just be more of the same (withdrawals and everything) but it's nationals and worlds that I imagine will feel much different without IS/MK/SC. Personally there's really nothing to look forward to, it's the post olympic year and everyone has to settle down and gear up for another 4-year grind again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For US Nationals, without Michelle and Sasha, it certainly will let people feel empty, I don't know if any new face can replace the chrisma and impact of these two ladies.

oh, you bet there will be. It just won't happen right away. You might have to wait another 10-15 years or so.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
oh, you bet there will be. It just won't happen right away. You might have to wait another 10-15 years or so.
Why? There wasn't a big gap between Thomas and Yamaguchi/Harding, Y/H to Kwan, Kwan to Kwan/Cohen and Kwan/Nari Nam. Nikodinov was in and out from the mid-90's until not so long ago. Liang is a firecracker; I think she's worth watching regardless of how she places. Meissner is still a kid, and has plenty of room to grow, and there are new skaters coming up all the time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I said MIGHT, not WILL. It could be next year or it could be 20 years from now. I don't think the near future looks dull for US skating, though, unless there's some kind of mass meltdown or something.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Kimmie and the Russian girl Dick Button doesn't like ( name escapes me at the moment, Elena something) will have no trouble keeping me interested.....
Not to mention seeing what sort of weird circus freak concoction Mr. Weir's demented costume designers decide to inflict upon him next.....

Kasey

Medalist
Considering my interest wasn't in either of them anyway, I'll be just as interested as I would be with them in it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not only Kwan and Cohen who will be missing. Slutskaya and Arakawa will be gone also. US Nationals will be quite different, and so will the Grand Prix, Europeans and Worlds.