2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

MKFSfan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
So sad. She cries all the way to the bank and is still raking it in despite the injuries.
:laugh:

Well, had Michelle retired in 2003, I wouldn't have been able to see her at MSG that fall or gotten the goosebumbs and tears at 2004 Nationals. Sure, if she retired in 2003, she would have gone out with a BANG! but raking in two more National titles as well as a Worlds Bronze medal is not too shabby. I think there comes a time when the rest really is just the icing on the cake. Not winning another World title, or getting another National medal is not going to tarnish Michelle's reputation or career, so at this point, she should just do whatever she wants and whatever her body allows!
:clap:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If MK had retired in 2003, then she would be getting slammed because the odds are overwhelming that, without her, the US would not secure 3 places for the Worlds in Moscow -- or for Torino the year after that.

Without Michelle in 2004, the World team for Dortmund would have been Sasha, Jenny and Amber. What would the chances be of Amber coming in at least 11th to get 3 places for US ladies in Moscow when combined with Sasha's silver? Jenny has never made the top 15 in Worlds, and she has done better at other international events (such as 4CC than Amber). Furthermore, even if the US got to send 3 ladies to Moscow, what would be the chances of Bebe (or, whoever was next in line among the age eligible) would have gotten at least 11th to combine with Sasha to get 3 spots for US ladies in Torino.

Furthermore, it is even doubtful that Sasha would have gotten silver in Dortmund -- if MK hadn't been there, then the streaker might have disrupted Sasha's program as a way of getting attention -- and she didn't have the experience to handle that kind of problem.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Attyfan makes an excellent point regarding the three spots for worlds, but IMHO had Kwan retired in 2003, I would've missed the showstopper that was Tosca... my second favorite Kwan program of all time (and its a close second to my first ~ the Red Violin). Yes, I know many prefer younger Kwan to older Kwan but it was the maturity & emotion that always got me vs. the 7 triples...

Yupper, I am a selfish uberKwaniac... and proud of it... Please skategods, :bow: :bow: :bow: don't let it be over... I cannot be a grown up and let it go... I WANT MY KWAN AND I WANT HER NOW.... (we need a tantrum smilie...)

Ok, I feel better now...

soogar

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
If MK had retired in 2003, then she would be getting slammed because the odds are overwhelming that, without her, the US would not secure 3 places for the Worlds in Moscow -- or for Torino the year after that.

Without Michelle in 2004, the World team for Dortmund would have been Sasha, Jenny and Amber. What would the chances be of Amber coming in at least 11th to get 3 places for US ladies in Moscow when combined with Sasha's silver? Jenny has never made the top 15 in Worlds, and she has done better at other international events (such as 4CC than Amber). Furthermore, even if the US got to send 3 ladies to Moscow, what would be the chances of Bebe (or, whoever was next in line among the age eligible) would have gotten at least 11th to combine with Sasha to get 3 spots for US ladies in Torino.

Furthermore, it is even doubtful that Sasha would have gotten silver in Dortmund -- if MK hadn't been there, then the streaker might have disrupted Sasha's program as a way of getting attention -- and she didn't have the experience to handle that kind of problem.

People said the US team couldn't get 3 spots at this worlds and they all did well. At the Olympics, both Emily and Kimmie made the top 10. And since when was 3 spots so important anyway? It's not as if all three ladies have a shot of the podium so if one misses out, so what.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Arianne said:
We still don't know that Kwan is retiring from amatuer skating....

For all that matters, we also do even know if Sasha is planning to retire. According to her schedule, she is planning to participate in Nationals and Worlds (if she qualifies). However, I guess that can change.

Sasha's Calendar: http://www.sashacohen.com/calendar.shtml

MKFSfan

Medalist
soogar said:
People said the US team couldn't get 3 spots at this worlds and they all did well. At the Olympics, both Emily and Kimmie made the top 10. And since when was 3 spots so important anyway? It's not as if all three ladies have a shot of the podium so if one misses out, so what.
???

Well, considering 2 of the 3 Olympic medalist were not present, and the fact all 3 ladies at the Olympics placed in the top...7...8...???...and were also competing at Worlds, I don't see why anyone who think two American Ladies would not be enough to secure 3 spots for next year. Many expected Sasha to win, so by that theory, another US Lady would need to place at least 12th.

Sure, sending 2 and not 1 is not a big deal all in all...but while you may not think it's a big deal, think how much it means to the skaters. They all knew heading into 2006 Nationals Sasha was pretty much a shoe-in and Michelle was basically guarenteed a bye, so they were all competing for that last spot. Having 1 more spot makes it a little more exciting for the rest.

lonewolf said:
For all that matters, we also do even know if Sasha is planning to retire. According to her schedule, she is planning to participate in Nationals and Worlds (if she qualifies). However, I guess that can change.

Unless it's changed since the last time I looked, Sasha's calender now lists Nationals as "TBA".

Lonewolf

On the Ice
MKFSfan said:
Unless it's changed since the last time I looked, Sasha's calender now lists Nationals as "TBA".

I guess I want Sasha to be present at Nationals to defend her title, thus I over looked those three letters, but you are right it does say TBA for Nationals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lonewolf said:
I guess I want Sasha to be present at Nationals to defend her title, thus I over looked those three letters, but you are right it does say TBA for Nationals.

she's not going to be there, take my word for it.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Sasha can not afford to lose again to Kimmie. There is pressure for her to go into the Nationals.

I'm confused by this statement... Is it that Sasha not afford to lose to Kimmie? Or that Sasha cannot afford another major lost period?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Sasha can not afford to lose again to Kimmie. There is pressure for her to go into the Nationals.

Seems to me the pressure is for Sasha NOT to go to Nationals, if she "cannot afford to lose again to Kimmie". Sasha has been skating all summer in COI, while Kimmie has made only a few COI appearances on the East Coast, and is deeply into practicing her new programs. Sasha has said she wanted to take a year off, so there ARE no new programs for her.

Don't expect to see Sasha at Nationals.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
To me, Cohen seems burned out, which is a good reason in itself to take time off.

Whether she's taking this into consideration actively or it will be an added benefit of time off, she's leaving the field to Meissner, Kim, Asada and co. to duke it out over the next year, and she'll see where the dust settles.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think it's a fine idea for Sasha to take the year off. I had no objections to Michelle taking it easy after the 2002 Olympics for similar reasons that Sasha is probably thinking of-injuries started to creep up, burned out from competition (although back then Michelle competed in 7 events, minus Cheesefests, that year, compared to Sasha's 4), lots of post Olympic opportunities, LONG COI tour that was not shortened like this year's has been, and just the disappointment/stress that occured over the Olympic season for many reasons.

But just like Michelle was advised back then to not completely take the year off because it would be that much more difficult to get back, I believe it will be hard for Sasha to return after a full season away.

But time will tell! :)

If Sasha has no intention of upping her technical, then there is no danger in her taking a year off. She won't lose her wow moves and spins. Just skating around once a week will be plenty to keep in shape.

Joe

Lonewolf

On the Ice
MKFSfan said:
But just like Michelle was advised back then to not completely take the year off because it would be that much more difficult to get back, I believe it will be hard for Sasha to return after a full season away. But time will tell! :)

Joesitz said:
If Sasha has no intention of upping her technical, then there is no danger in her taking a year off. She won't lose her wow moves and spins. Just skating around once a week will be plenty to keep in shape.

I agree that taking a full year off will make it more difficult to come back, especially if she wants to up her technical ability. But as Joe stated, “she won’t lose her wow moves and spins” by skating once a week, however IMO, if she has this attitude, it will be much harder for her to beat Kimmie, Mao Asado and Yu Na Kim when she does come back.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha certainly was not in control of her jumps at Olympics and Worlds, and to say she could 'stay in competitive shape' by just skating around the rink a couple of times a week is ridiculous. Sasha needed WORK on those jumps, as shown by her performances this season. She won't be doing much work on anything related to skating, and what usually happens when skaters slack off is that the problems that were there before are worse.

It will take a tremendous effort to go from virtually no skating to a heavy practice schedule, and considering her delicate back, there is danger of Sasha overdoing and incurring further injury. Moreover, she probably will not be able to go back to Nicks as a coach. That won't help her either.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alsace said:
Rumor has it he may retire. He was semi-retired when Sasha returned to him, so in a year, he may just call it quits. He's been around a lllooonnnggg time!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
He's the only coach to seem to have got through to her. Maybe he would take her on for awhile and see what happens. ???