Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Season Without Kwan/Cohen

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy
    Skating without Michelle? well it will never be the same for me. I miss her terribly. I'll watch as a casually interested fan, and be open to another skater snatching my interest, but it was Michelle who elevated my interest in skating from casual observer to someone immersed in the sport, and in her absence my enthusiasm will definitely wane. I think the difference is that there are many fans that are or were fans of figure skating period, and for those skating goes on its way as skaters age and the young ones take over - and I think that is great. But there are many like me who were drawn into figure skating by Michelle, and though I have gained a fondness of the sport through her that will never die, it was her presence that defined my rather obsessive enthusiam over the last several years, and it just won't be there without her. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be such a fan that I would spend thousands of dollars to fly cross country to watch figure skating events I would have thought you were crazy, but that is what I did to watch Michelle compete. Now I'll watch on TV, it will take someone amazing to raise my interest to that level. That said, there are interesting skaters on the horizon and it will be interesting to see what develops.
    ITA Kathy... I simply cannot muster a lot of interest in the sport anymore... I liken in to other pro sports... one can either be a fan of baseball or one can be a fan of the Yankees... I'm a Yankee fan... and without skating's version of Derek Jeter, then I'll go back to be a casual fan... And hope that someone or something sparks my interest enough to back to uber status ~ but right now? Please. I'd rather watch the X games...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug
    Such a stellar career and she wasn't able to give us and herself one last skate of a lifetime which she worked darn hard to do.

Ladybug
    Well she had won 2003 Worlds and her 9th Nationals a few years ago. Maybe that was where she was supposed to end. She has had a lot of "skate of a lifetimes" in her career.

Down With It
    I always thought 2003 was the end of her prime. Onwards it was just a downhill ride, and unfortunately for her it must end like this.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Well she had won 2003 Worlds and her 9th Nationals a few years ago...
    She won her ninth nationals in 2005. That was so close to the Olympic year that it probably encouraged her to push herself for a final hurrah.

It didn't work out. But like the Wayne Gretsky quote that some one here has in their signature, "you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take."

This way she has no regrets. She did 100% of what her body physically allowed her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I always thought 2003 was the end of her prime. Onwards it was just a downhill ride, and unfortunately for her it must end like this.
    So sad. She cries all the way to the bank and is still raking it in despite the injuries.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    So sad. She cries all the way to the bank and is still raking it in despite the injuries.

Well, had Michelle retired in 2003, I wouldn't have been able to see her at MSG that fall or gotten the goosebumbs and tears at 2004 Nationals. Sure, if she retired in 2003, she would have gone out with a BANG! but raking in two more National titles as well as a Worlds Bronze medal is not too shabby. I think there comes a time when the rest really is just the icing on the cake. Not winning another World title, or getting another National medal is not going to tarnish Michelle's reputation or career, so at this point, she should just do whatever she wants and whatever her body allows!

Custom Title
    If MK had retired in 2003, then she would be getting slammed because the odds are overwhelming that, without her, the US would not secure 3 places for the Worlds in Moscow -- or for Torino the year after that.

Without Michelle in 2004, the World team for Dortmund would have been Sasha, Jenny and Amber. What would the chances be of Amber coming in at least 11th to get 3 places for US ladies in Moscow when combined with Sasha's silver? Jenny has never made the top 15 in Worlds, and she has done better at other international events (such as 4CC than Amber). Furthermore, even if the US got to send 3 ladies to Moscow, what would be the chances of Bebe (or, whoever was next in line among the age eligible) would have gotten at least 11th to combine with Sasha to get 3 spots for US ladies in Torino.

Furthermore, it is even doubtful that Sasha would have gotten silver in Dortmund -- if MK hadn't been there, then the streaker might have disrupted Sasha's program as a way of getting attention -- and she didn't have the experience to handle that kind of problem.

Shoe Diva
    Attyfan makes an excellent point regarding the three spots for worlds, but IMHO had Kwan retired in 2003, I would've missed the showstopper that was Tosca... my second favorite Kwan program of all time (and its a close second to my first ~ the Red Violin). Yes, I know many prefer younger Kwan to older Kwan but it was the maturity & emotion that always got me vs. the 7 triples...

Yupper, I am a selfish uberKwaniac... and proud of it... Please skategods, don't let it be over... I cannot be a grown up and let it go... I WANT MY KWAN AND I WANT HER NOW.... (we need a tantrum smilie...)

Ok, I feel better now...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    If MK had retired in 2003, then she would be getting slammed because the odds are overwhelming that, without her, the US would not secure 3 places for the Worlds in Moscow -- or for Torino the year after that.

Without Michelle in 2004, the World team for Dortmund would have been Sasha, Jenny and Amber. What would the chances be of Amber coming in at least 11th to get 3 places for US ladies in Moscow when combined with Sasha's silver? Jenny has never made the top 15 in Worlds, and she has done better at other international events (such as 4CC than Amber). Furthermore, even if the US got to send 3 ladies to Moscow, what would be the chances of Bebe (or, whoever was next in line among the age eligible) would have gotten at least 11th to combine with Sasha to get 3 spots for US ladies in Torino.

Furthermore, it is even doubtful that Sasha would have gotten silver in Dortmund -- if MK hadn't been there, then the streaker might have disrupted Sasha's program as a way of getting attention -- and she didn't have the experience to handle that kind of problem.
    People said the US team couldn't get 3 spots at this worlds and they all did well. At the Olympics, both Emily and Kimmie made the top 10. And since when was 3 spots so important anyway? It's not as if all three ladies have a shot of the podium so if one misses out, so what.

We still don't know that Kwan is retiring from amatuer skating....

Quote Originally Posted by Arianne
    We still don't know that Kwan is retiring from amatuer skating....

For all that matters, we also do even know if Sasha is planning to retire. According to her schedule, she is planning to participate in Nationals and Worlds (if she qualifies). However, I guess that can change.

Sasha's Calendar: http://www.sashacohen.com/calendar.shtml

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    People said the US team couldn't get 3 spots at this worlds and they all did well. At the Olympics, both Emily and Kimmie made the top 10. And since when was 3 spots so important anyway? It's not as if all three ladies have a shot of the podium so if one misses out, so what.
    ???

Well, considering 2 of the 3 Olympic medalist were not present, and the fact all 3 ladies at the Olympics placed in the top...7...8...???...and were also competing at Worlds, I don't see why anyone who think two American Ladies would not be enough to secure 3 spots for next year. Many expected Sasha to win, so by that theory, another US Lady would need to place at least 12th.

Sure, sending 2 and not 1 is not a big deal all in all...but while you may not think it's a big deal, think how much it means to the skaters. They all knew heading into 2006 Nationals Sasha was pretty much a shoe-in and Michelle was basically guarenteed a bye, so they were all competing for that last spot. Having 1 more spot makes it a little more exciting for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    For all that matters, we also do even know if Sasha is planning to retire. According to her schedule, she is planning to participate in Nationals and Worlds (if she qualifies). However, I guess that can change.
    Unless it's changed since the last time I looked, Sasha's calender now lists Nationals as "TBA".

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    Unless it's changed since the last time I looked, Sasha's calender now lists Nationals as "TBA".
    I guess I want Sasha to be present at Nationals to defend her title, thus I over looked those three letters, but you are right it does say TBA for Nationals.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf
    I guess I want Sasha to be present at Nationals to defend her title, thus I over looked those three letters, but you are right it does say TBA for Nationals.
    she's not going to be there, take my word for it.

Sasha can not afford to lose again to Kimmie. There is pressure for her to go into the Nationals.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast