Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you cope with stress?

How do you cope with stress?

Tips, tricks, or theories? How do you get back to you normal lovable self?

For me it always depends on the kind of stress. If its to do with work then a long session in the gym is the sole rememdy - i tire myself out in the gym and by the time i'm finished i'm exhausted - drop into the jacuzzi before heading home and all work stress leaves my head until i get back in the office in the morning.

More personal kinds of stress is more difficult to shake off in the gym because my mind tends to come back to what's going on in my head...actually the only things that does help - skating! Skating is the only thing i think about when i'm skating (unless i've just fallen in which case its the pain!) and it really really works to get my mind off things.

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 08-03-2006 at 06:07 AM.

take a walk around the neighborhood, listen to my favorite music, watch my favorite skating videos/DVDs, bike riding ...

Omega 3 oils, natural is best but a good brand of supplment will do. another interesting suplement is Cordyceps' I'm a nutrition nut.

Joe

Shoe Diva
    Retail therapy... the one thing that cures all!

Yoga, taking a walk before going to bed, reading a lot; on a weekend, drive over to the beach for at least an hour. Spend time with my parents (yes, I know, for many people that would just add to stress, but for this 30 y.o., this is a great stress reliever) & their cat (cats a amazing shrinks!).

One of my health providers had me buy some kind of relaxation tape. What a waste of money. Drove me up a wall. I just put some of my skating tapes on and that helps more than anything.

Custom Title
    For me, anything that keeps my hands busy is the best stress reliever. That could be making some kind of intricate jewelry or planting flowers or rearranging the furniture or doing woodwork. It's got to be some activity that keeps my attention focused on what my hands are doing as opposed to a benign activity like mowing the yard. Under some situations reading an intense novel works too.

Prayer... lots and lots of prayer...

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    Tips, tricks, or theories? How do you get back to you normal lovable self?
    I don't know - I now have an ulcer, I guess I don't cope very well! No just kidding, my ulcer is a result of taking too many painkillers.

I play my piano, read, draw, go for walks, swim - in another life my first answer would be grab my skates and head for an ice rink!!!!! Skate away my problems - that is what I used to do.

As the great Joni Mithcell sings:

" I wish I had a river I could skate away on...."

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Well, if we're going there, then I highly recommend to any Jewish posters the mikvah (a ritual immersion) - I do it once a month (the niddah), and I always come out a new woman after that.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I agree Toni, when I am totally and I mean totally stressed out, I do some visualization. I think of myself as a little girl and see Jesus with outstretched arms pointed at me and I climb onto his lap and he hugs and holds me really tight. It works for me.

Other than that I handle stress pretty well. I had to learn quickly due to taking care of my 86 year old mom a few nights a week. She can test my patience to the limit which used to cause me lots of stress.

Dee

I try to avoid stress by "picking my battles" there are lots of things that just aren't worth stressing over. If I have done all that I can possibly do that is within my power I then leave it up to God and what happens happens.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Yacking with God while lying in bed. And skating. I have an anxiety disorder and it really helps distract me.
    Last edited by CzarinaAnya; 08-04-2006 at 09:32 PM.

If it's just normal stress, excercise and quiet time. However, if it's angry stress (which has only happened twice), I find myself yelling and slamming doors in the privacy of my own home. Twice, I had to leave work in the middle of the day because I was so stressed out that I had to get away from everyone who was causing the problems. The 1st time, i just went out and walked around the building for an hour before going back in and then I asked everyone to just leave me alone - I needed to feel like I had control of what I had to do and just wanted to get it done without being interuppted or sidetracked. Another time, i could just feel the aggravation building and sat and finished what I felt needed to be done and left work a little early. Fortunately, this does not happen often and I had already earned the respect of my management and peers - I had a reputation that allowed them to see that this was an infrequent exception and they could also understand why I was under stress, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast