Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Theatregirl's Broadway Adventure

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    Psst...unless they revamped when it's set on stage since I saw it (ten years ago, Toronto cast, Colm Wilkinson as the Phantom), the movie is set about ten years BACK in time. The play is 1881, IIRC, while the movie was, in some leap of logic possible only to someone totally ignorant of European history, in 1870. At the time, France was involved in the Franco-Prussian war, Paris was under seige, people were eating rats, and I believe the Opera House wasn't even finished being built yet.
    Not to contradict you, but I'm going to contradict you.

My mother has a masters degree in costume design and teaches fashion history. She is the one who dated the time period of the costumes for me. I will ask her again next time I talk to her, but I don't think she's wrong. Even if the producers were attempting to set it in that time, I don't think they were succesful. Where are you getting your dates from?

Ballroom Baby
    The libretto and the title card of the movie. Also Leroux, Susan Kay, and (where it hasn't been shifted to the 1890s to make it work with a crossover such as Sherlock Holmes) other writers who've taken a crack at the Phantom story. Kay in fact includes the construction of the Opera during the 1870 seige as part of her novel "Phantom", including the rat-, horse- and anything-else-they-could-find eating. Obviously the events of Leroux, Lloyd Webber et al can't take place until the Opera is built.

I'm not disputing that the costumes may be inaccurate for the period (my area of dress expertise is late 18th/early 19th century America) but the book of the musical has the play set in the 1880s, with the auction in the early Edwardian. The production I saw, the only costume I remember as being notably period was one of Carlotta's bustled day dresses. Everything else was rather generically Victorian, and the costumes for the operas, obviously, were costumes. The movie, on the other hand, says either Paris-1870 (or 1871, I don't have the film here to check, but I do recall it was one of the flaps on IMBD's movie boards about POTO). Which, again, is before the Garnier Opera building was built, and in the middle of a war which France was losing rather badly. While the dates for the play make Raoul being ancient in the prologue a little odd, setting it any earlier than the early 1880s basically makes the action impossible because the location doesn't exist.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Just want to add my Wow. This thread is cracking me up. I didn't know there were Rentheads. I didn't know there was a play called Spelling Bee playing here and I want to take my bf. And I sure never heard of Beard Papas. And I am going to try to think up how I can rack up some points with Joe.

Here's a link to the site containing Beard Papa's present locations..

http://www.muginohousa.com/locations.html

Thanks, Heyang. There's one I can easily get to.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I think Math stole my Wow!! I usually do a few wow's when wow's are appropriate to do. This thread desearves 3 WOW's.

Anyhow, glad you had a good time. I loved it when I went to a couple of broadway shows many, many years ago.

Dee
    Last edited by Dee4707; 08-11-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Here's a link to the site containing Beard Papa's present locations..

http://www.muginohousa.com/locations.html
    Heyang!
    Puff Daddy, I mean Beard Papa:
    (Toupee Man's other hand is rubbing his belly...)
    I will definitely be going there again!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer View Post
    The libretto and the title card of the movie. Also Leroux, Susan Kay, and (where it hasn't been shifted to the 1890s to make it work with a crossover such as Sherlock Holmes) other writers who've taken a crack at the Phantom story. Kay in fact includes the construction of the Opera during the 1870 seige as part of her novel "Phantom", including the rat-, horse- and anything-else-they-could-find eating. Obviously the events of Leroux, Lloyd Webber et al can't take place until the Opera is built.
    Interesting info. I don't doubt you when you say the respective dates of the movie and the play. I guess the costume designer just didn't agree with whoever decided what the date should be.

I always hate lack of research in movies and TV. So I get where you are coming from on the whole opera not being built yet thing. I often watch Gilmore Girls and it takes place in the Hartford, CT area, which is where I live. They always say inacurate things about Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Heyang!
    Puff Daddy, I mean Beard Papa:
    (Toupee Man's other hand is rubbing his belly...)
    I will definitely be going there again!

Glad you enjoyed them! I gotta get me some the next time I'm in NYC. My favorite are the chocolate cream ones and the mochas are good, too!

My bf liked the chocolate puff and some other VERY chocolatey thing they had as the day's special (Sat.) - round, fudgy inside - even better. Moi - plain cream was heavenly.

For some reason, hearing about it on Goldenskate makes me feel like I have a right to eat cream puffs every week.

Plus the name is irresistible since my bf has a beard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2