Thread: No Roth at nationals

Hybrid View

No Roth at nationals

Stephanie Roth just won the collegiate championships along with Ryan Bradley. She says that she will forego a spot on the national team (should she make it) to compete at the international competition she just qualified for in Torino. You can read the article from the Goldenskate link. I think this is really sad because she could be working her way up in nationals to qualify for the grand prix. Especially this year if we don't see some of the top names.

Custom Title
    Link to the 2006 U.S. Collegiates results article:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=35053

Excerpt:
    This was a competition of firsts for [Stephanie] Roth, who had back surgery just six months ago.

"This was my first time without a coach and also my first competition since my injury, so I'm really proud of it," she said

Roth's victory qualified her for the World University Games next January in Torino, Italy. The Games conflict with the 2007 State Farm U.S. Championships, so Roth would have to forego a spot at the national event should she qualify through sectionals. That didn't seem to be a problem for the newly crowned champion.

"Oh, I'm absolutely going (to Torino)! I'm so excited!" Roth said. "I've been to nationals before but never to an international, and the chance to make the team was one of the reasons I came back to skating after nationals to begin with. I can't wait."
    And here's the link to a local New Jersey article from last week about Stephanie Roth, who had back surgery in February after placing 18th at 2006 Nationals in St. Louis (note her tattoo in the photo ):
    http://www.thecoaststar.com/weekly/2...7.06/roth.html
    Excerpt:
    Roth has sacrificed a lot to continue skating, physically and financially.

“An arm and a leg and maybe some feet,’’ said Roth when asked the cost of competitive figure skating. “It is really, really hard. I pay for this. My mom paid for a really long time. As I got older and the decision was mine to continue skating I took over the bills. I used to shop at Brave New World and all the places to shop, now I shop at Target. I want to spend the money on my skating.’’

It is no surprise, Roth, who has a nose ring and several tattoos and shuns fitting in the skating “mold’’ wants to go out on her own terms.

“I am a rebel in the skating world,’’ said Roth. “I have been in this sport for so long and I do everything else by the book. I work as hard as the next person.’’
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-06-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Well, she's been to nationals before and knows the US skaters. Here's her chance to meet the international skaters, and enjoy that scene. Given the lineup in the US Sr.Ladies division, she has a much better chance in Torino for a medal.

Reading on I noticed that Bradley had to call home to have his old pair of skates sent to him in Annaheim. His competition pair of skates did not arrive. Why oh why do skaters check their skates on airlines? They should be a carryon!!

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Reading on I noticed that Bradley had to call home to have his old pair of skates sent to him in Annaheim. His competition pair of skates did not arrive. Why oh why do skaters check their skates on airlines? They should be a carryon!!

Joe
    Skaters used to carry their skates with them, but under the new security rules set forth after Sept. 11, they can't carry anything on board with blades.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Skaters used to carry their skates with them, but under the new security rules set forth after Sept. 11, they can't carry anything on board with blades.
    Oops, I forgot that.

Roth at Nationals

I think Stephanie has been to Nationals at least a couple of times (2000 and 2006) so I can see why she would want to do an International. I wish her well - she has a lot of determination.

On another note, does anyone know why Susan Ng withdrew before the free skate?

Maureen